PDA

View Full Version : OK, I give in?

Jonzjob
02-03-2017, 06:27 PM
This is a forum based in the land of our trans Atlantic cousins. So far just over 2 weeks ago the USA had a new president and as far as I can see not a single word has been mentioned about it? Did I miss something or is any kind of politics banned on here?

A serious question? Is it a taboo subject? And if so then why? I would love to know. I am not trying to be anything but qurious.

pigoo3
02-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Well...we are mostly an Apple subject related internet forum...so these topics will dominate. Most topics are permissable. Yes...we have not had much discussion regarding the newly elected US president. But then we also have not had much discussion regarding:

- The upcoming Superbowl.
- The future career of Rhonda Rousey...former female MMA champion.
- The latest drama with the couple from the home renovation show "Flip or Flop".
- John Glenn (former astronaut) passing away.
- etc. etc.

As mentioned. We are primarily an Apple discussion forum. Thus many current event topics sometimes do not get discussed. I would imagine when Barrack Obama was elected...we didn't have that much discussion on it ether.

If REALLY interested in this topic...why not start a discussion about it...rather than asking why there hasn't been a discussion about it??;)

- Nick

p.s. And of course remember. Topics like religion, politics, Mac vs. PC, etc...can be very sensitive topic area's. And maybe folks avoid them for that reason.;)

IWT
02-03-2017, 06:47 PM
John,

Maybe members feel that it's nice to have one place in the world where it has not been discussed to death:Mischievous:

Ian

harryb2448
02-03-2017, 06:51 PM
How about backing off a little guys? It is the citizens of the USA's country, not ours, and they will support their country and President as loyal Americans. I could comment on therese whatshername all decked out in red for Donald but that is not my place to.

IWT
02-03-2017, 06:53 PM
Agree, Harry. Hence my little comment in post #3.

Ian

Sawday
02-03-2017, 06:58 PM
If it's any consolation I'm ashamed of what's happens this side of the pond too.

pigoo3
02-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Well I'll throw in my 2 cents.;) Sawday mentioned how I kind of feel. "Can't yet believe it has happened". I could comment further...but I'm so disgusted with the situation that I try to avoid the topic!!!

- Nick

lclev
02-03-2017, 10:33 PM
If you want a mac forum with a heated political posting area head over to MacRumors (https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/politics-religion-social-issues.47/). You will find you can not post on the political threads until you have made at least 100 posts on the apple threads.

I tend to stay away from political postings. I believe everyone is entitled to an opinion. And I also believe everyone needs to show respect to all posters regardless of their view point. Unfortunately not everyone does and feels the need to slice and dice those who do not agree with them. It seems the very ones preaching free speech and tolerance are the same ones spewing the vitriol when you do not agree with them. So - I never post on anything on a political site.

Lisa

Jonzjob
02-04-2017, 03:20 AM
As I said, it was just curiosity about the fact that there has been so much said elsewhere and as far as I could see, not a single word on here.

I am in agreement about steering clear of polilics and I have always been in the camp that feels that even if I don't agree with yours I would fight for your, and my, right to voice them. Same with religion, Don't try to convert me and I won't convert you ;D;D

Just in passing, there were a huge load of folk this side of the pond that had a shock about Brexit :* but it's going to happen. That will last for more than 4 years though, so I hope it works?

Edit : - I forgot to say thank you for the replies. Informative and refreshing :)

badshoehabit
02-04-2017, 11:51 AM
Glad it's a Trump free zone as I must admit to excoriating him on both facebook and twitter.

Sawday
02-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Just in passing, there were a huge load of folk this side of the pond that had a shock about Brexit :* but it's going to happen.

Still time for a snap election though, fingers crossed. Did you see that 'woman' (I use the term although I'm sure most women would not associate themselves with her) on Question Time the other night? Voted to Leave because she didn't want straight bananas! arghhh !!!

toMACsh
02-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Well...we are mostly an Apple subject related internet forum...so these topics will dominate. ...

In other words, on this forum, Apple trumps politics. ;)

nancyspeed
02-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Please no politics.

pm-r
02-04-2017, 04:04 PM
In other words, on this forum, Apple trumps politics. ;)

Good!! And please let's keep it that way.

PS: An excellent clever pun there I must say. :)

Please no politics.

+1. Ditto and agreed.

- Patrick
==========

chscag
02-04-2017, 04:08 PM
@Nancy:

The lounge is for off topic discussions and as long as the discussion remains civil (no name calling, etc.), it's allowed. I agree that sometimes talk about religion, politics, and other controversial subjects can lead to heated debates, and that's why we have moderators.

Thank you for understanding.

Jonzjob
02-04-2017, 06:05 PM
Poly-ticks? Are they blood sucking insects on parots:'(:'(

chscag
02-04-2017, 06:59 PM
@John:

Politicians and lawyers. Same, same. :Evil:

Jonzjob
02-05-2017, 04:29 AM
Thinking about lawyers, we call then solicitors this side of the pond, much more posh and they charge for that too! A mate of mine in the U.K. was a 'lawyer' and he was also a lay preacher in his local church. I always pulled his leg with the fact that 'he solicited for a living and layed for a hobby' :Smirk:

He was from Manchester too, poor bloke :D Great bloke, good friend and just as well he had a good sense of humour with me around ?

pigoo3
02-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Thinking about lawyers, we call then solicitors this side of the pond, much more posh and they charge for that too! A mate of mine in the U.K. was a 'lawyer' and he was also a lay preacher in his local church.

Sounds like he may be trying to play "both sides of the fence".;) If he did anything unsavory as a lawyer...maybe he still gets into heaven for the preaching activities!;)

- Nick

harryb2448
02-05-2017, 03:20 PM
As I have told Randy B. here in Australia we bury lawyers, and solicitors, at a depth of nine feet.

Why? Because deep, deep down they are good people!

IWT
02-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Nice one, Harry.

Ian

pm-r
02-05-2017, 03:56 PM
As I have told Randy B. here in Australia we bury lawyers, and solicitors, at a depth of nine feet.

Why? Because deep, deep down they are good people!

Funny and good. :D :D ;D

Do I send that along to brother-in-law??? :Smirk:

But I'm sure he's heard it many times, just like the lawyer skid mark jokes……

- Patrick
==========

Jonzjob
02-05-2017, 04:08 PM
Harry!! That's a terrible thing to say!! If I had been taking a drink of red when I read that I may well have choked laughing!

Consider yourself chastized for not giving a warning:Shouting::Shouting:

pm-r
02-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Harry!! That's a terrible thing to say!! If I had been taking a drink of red when I read that I may well have choked laughing!

And it's even worse when some of it comes back out through your nose and all over the keyboard. :Oops:

- Patrick
==========

ferrarr
02-05-2017, 06:35 PM
And it's even worse when some of it comes back out through your nose and all over the keyboard. :Oops:

- Patrick
==========
No food or drinks near the computer, rule # 1.

Sawday
02-06-2017, 04:15 AM

Thanks for that thought - I now cannot get it out of my mind :)