iPhone 6s/USB Volkswagen

Reaction score
Hi,
Can I charge my phone through the USB in a car using the cable from my home charger? VW says I can but would like to check before I plug it in and possibly blow the phone.Never mind the car;).Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, I do this all the time for my iPhone 6+ and 6s+. I have a USB adapter inserted into the cigar lighter and plug my phone into that. The charging circuit in your iPhone will regulate the current flow from the car's 12V battery. No problem.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Well, Irishman, my answer has to be selective rather than definitive:

Yes, you can if my experience in the UK with different models is anything to go by. Ever since the introduction of USB outlets in cars here, it has been possible to charge more or less any USB-connected device. I have used it for my iPhone and my iPod. BTW, that's all it can do - charge the device. You cannot play music or use the iPhone in any other way. To do that, you employ Bluetooth to sync with the car's audio system.

Caveat: I have never owned a Volkswagen.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
No USB in my motor but I do use an iPhone cable with a charger/adapter in the lighter socket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Fords do not cooperate nicely with Apple hardware, but don't tell Mr. D.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Fords do not cooperate nicely with Apple hardware, but don't tell Mr. D.

Yeah but who cares when you have a 675 HP turbo charged Mustang to run up and down those mountainous roads in Apple Valley, California! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yeah but who cares when you have a 675 HP turbo charged Mustang to run up and down those mountainous roads in Apple Valley, California!

Hmmm… you mean there are actually some mountainous roads within the Apple Valley, California boundaries…??? :Smirk:

But at least all Fords there have their steering wheel on the correct side of the car and probably their USB ports or cigarette lighter sockets work as well. :Blushing:

- Patrick
==========

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm… you mean there are actually some mountainous roads within the Apple Valley, California boundaries…???

You bet. I used to live in Victorville, CA which is a neigboring community to Apple Valley. Apple Valley sits in the shadows of the San Bernadino mountain range and the town itself sits about 3500' above sea level. Now I know you sea goers out there on the left coast of Canada in Brentwood Bay, BC have to come inland to see a real mountain range. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You bet. I used to live in Victorville, CA which is a neigboring community to Apple Valley.

Ahhh, but that's why I mentioned within the Apple Valley, California boundaries, which I didn't think went up into those hills.

And you'd call those hills a real mountain range…??? Maybe if you were originally from the prairies or some flatlands. :Blushing:

But I'll bet that they sure have some fun roads to drive among them hills, but a 675 HP turbo charged Mustang may be a bit much, especially on the corners…

Now, if I still had my 1960 Conference raced MGA 1600 all ported, polished and balanced, racing shocks etc…… that would be fun eh???….. but I digress… sorry… ;D

- Patrick
==========

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.