Mail problem in OSX 10.8.6 with Mail 4.6

Reaction score
I have run Mail for years with no problem then 2 days ago I was advised to change my Gmail password. I did this and now I cannot use Mail on my iMac or G5, though it works on my iPhone 4.

I constantly get the error message; The SMTP server “smtp.gmail.com” rejected the password for user ?????????

Enter your password again or cancel.

I have entered the new password in Mail Preferences and do not know what to try next.

Any ideas guys?
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
have you tried deleting your Gmail account from Mail and then re-entering it as a new account?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Mike

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

Probably the quickest way to sort things is to follow Nickyr's advice.

May I just mention, in passing, that when you change a password (PW), you have to change the PW in the Incoming and Outgoing servers in Mail (whether that is on your Mac or on an iDevice).

In your case, it seems like the Incoming PW is OK, but the Outgoing PW is not. You may have changed it, I've no doubt, but have you Saved it?

Believe it or not, just putting in the new PW in the SMTP outgoing box does not automatically save it. You have to click outside of that window to bring up the Save dialogue box, then click Save.

If you need step by step guidance, just post back.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I have worked out that if I change Turn On/Off access for less secure apps in Google to ON Mail works again. What I need to find out now is how I can change it to OFF for extra security.
I am using Mail 4.6 with Mac OS 10.6.8 if that helps.
Mike

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Ah;

Mike in post #1, the heading indicated that your OS was 10.8.6 (Mountain Lion) which I didn't question till now. But in fact you have 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)?

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.