PDA

View Full Version : iphoto alternative

bmahin
01-19-2017, 08:57 PM
I loved iPhoto, until the software became corrupt.

My question:

Is it possible to purchase new iPhoto software (my elderly iLife discs won't open?

Is there a photo organizer similar to iPhoto I could try? I upgraded to Sierra to try Photos. So far, hate it.

Thanks in advance.

bmahin

chscag
01-19-2017, 09:11 PM
There are certainly alternatives to Photos and iPhoto, however, they are pay apps. Two that I recommend are: "Pixelmator" and "Affinity Photo". Both are available from the Mac App Store.

Also, I notice you say that iPhoto became corrupt. In what way? iPhoto still works with the latest version of OS X Sierra.

Slydude
01-19-2017, 10:26 PM
Also, what is it that you hate about Photos? Perhaps some of the things are easily corrected.

bmahin
01-19-2017, 10:41 PM
My guess is that, over the years, the code eventually became corrupt, i.e., making library "corrections" that became more and more destructive.

Agan, thank you.

IWT
01-20-2017, 05:37 AM
Hey bmahin

Moderator Slydude asked a highly pertinent question. What makes hou "hate" Photos.

There are numerous similarities between the two apps that are immediately recognisable. Sure there are differences and there are additions, particularly in relation to editing features which are much enhanced.

So if you could detail your dislikes and irritations, maybe we could find ways to circumnavigate or mitigate these. There's a lot going for Photos. Pity to give up so soon.

Ian

badshoehabit
01-21-2017, 12:34 PM
New versions of old apps often generate dislike but I've found this is soon overcome with use. I don't remember having too much difficulty transferring to Photos and like the extended editing features very much. I never had Aperture and they're easier to use than PhotoShop Elements.

Sawday
01-22-2017, 05:20 AM
New versions of old apps often generate dislike but I've found this is soon overcome with use.

...but not always. One tends to get use to a program that one uses often and can ignore it's annoyances and short comings, but when an 'upgrade' adds significantly to those annoyances one begins to look around for something easier to work with. For me 'Moments' and 'Collections' are irrelevant and together with constant face recognition updating that one cannot switch off, all get my blood boiling to the extent that I cannot bear anything to do with Photos. Apples 'nannying' is becoming so patronising that one wonders if instead of catering for the professional or more enlightened users they are going evermore downmarket to appeal to the brainless masses who cannot cope with independent thought or action.

bmahin
01-22-2017, 05:27 AM
To all of you who responded. . .

I decided to follow the advice of most of you and give Photos a bit more of a try.

i find I hate it less, and will press on w/Photos.

Again, my thanks to all of you for your advice.

bmahin

badshoehabit
01-22-2017, 07:34 AM
...constant face recognition updating that one cannot switch off,

What am I doing differently that I don't get prompts for face recognition and wouldn't know how to find Collections or Events? I do have everything sorted into albums & folders.

I wouldn't agree about Apple nannying; in fact operations are sometimes so obtuse that it takes a lot of internet and forum searching to find a solution. But if Apple is nanny Windows is surely Supernanny!:D

IWT
01-22-2017, 10:15 AM
To all of you who responded. . .

I decided to follow the advice of most of you and give Photos a bit more of a try.

i find I hate it less, and will press on w/Photos.

Again, my thanks to all of you for your advice.

bmahin

Just a little tip. Folks have often asked where's all the edit functions that everyone talks about?

Firstly, you have to select a picture, usually by clicking on it and hitting the space bar. This open the picture and then, until the latest update, you could cind the Edit function top right of window. Now it is second from the right and Edit has been replaced by three squiggly lines. Why, I do not know.

Clicking on this brings up a basic list of edit functions. To get to the more advanced editing, select Adjustments. Some show by default , all the others can be found by clicking on the + or add sign. These extra tools are quit sophisticated.

There is also Extensions which gives you the chance to edit using third party apps and the editing is done within Photos rather than having to export the images. Obviously you have to acquire these apps like Pixelmater or Affinity and there are some more.

All in all, Photos is a good app that meets the needs of beginner and a lot of the needs of the more serious photographer.

Ian