PDA

View Full Version : iMac without internal dvd optical drive

krystals
01-17-2017, 11:13 AM
how to rip and burn dvd's on the new iMacs without internal dvd optical drive

Raz0rEdge
01-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Get an external DVD player or if you have a Mac nearby that has an optical drive on it you can use it remotely..

ferrarr
01-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Get an external DVD player or if you have a Mac nearby that has an optical drive on it you can use it remotely..
Does it need to be a Mac? I thought any Windows/Mac OS was useable?

chscag
01-17-2017, 03:49 PM
how to rip and burn dvd's on the new iMacs without internal dvd optical drive

Welcome to our forums.

External DVD USB drives are inexpensive and work well from the USB ports of your iMac. Or, you can purchase the Apple External DVD drive which is designed for and will compliment your new iMac.

Raz0rEdge
01-17-2017, 03:59 PM
Does it need to be a Mac? I thought any Windows/Mac OS was useable?

You are right sir, you can indeed use a Windows machine. I'd only seen the support on my Macs. This article (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203973) tells you how to do it..

Slydude
01-17-2017, 08:48 PM
Nice find. I didn't know you could do this with a PC.

harryb2448
01-18-2017, 12:59 AM
Hold your hosses you Texan bronc busters. That will share discs fine, bur read No. 4 on imcopatable discs and burning/erasing CDs and DVDs.

SO krystals back to the original idea. Samsung has a cheap (=$30) DVD writer that will work with your iMac. As it is bus powered it comes with a double headed lead with USB connectors.

krystals
01-18-2017, 06:53 AM
Welcome to our forums.

External DVD USB drives are inexpensive and work well from the USB ports of your iMac. Or, you can purchase the Apple External DVD drive which is designed for and will compliment your new iMac.

I have an external DVD drive but can find no apps to use Ive downloaded "burn" but my iMac refuses to open it. Will Apple's External DVD drive come with the software to rip and burn DVD's

badshoehabit
01-18-2017, 03:42 PM
What are specs of your DVD - is it able to record/burn, or just read? Apple's (expensive) SuperDrive does all, as do cheaper drives with the same spec.

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive

badshoehabit
01-18-2017, 03:43 PM
What are specs of your DVD - is it able to record/burn, or just read? Apple's (expensive) SuperDrive does all, as do cheaper drives with the same spec.

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive

MightyGem
01-18-2017, 05:00 PM
Ive downloaded "burn" but my iMac refuses to open it.
Do you get a message saying that if you try to open Burn? If so Right/Ctrl click on the Burn file and then choose "Open" from the menu. It should then open and should open in future in the normal way.

harryb2448
01-18-2017, 05:55 PM
Methinks you are a a novice krystals and running into Gatekeeper. For some reason you will not share model and operating system, however right click on the 'Burn' .dmg file and the click 'Open' and install it. You can also use Disk Utility to burn.