PDA

View Full Version : Virus on mac?!

mac_user1
01-16-2017, 12:52 AM
Hi,

I know you get these posts alot, but I want to sort out if my mac has a virus. I was browsing google chrome images and clicked on a image and this notice came up: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=mac+virus+pop+up+chrome&espv=2&biw=1184&bih=622&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic8--e7sXRAhWCoZQKHWSqDzAQ_AUIBygC&dpr=2#imgrc=2bDJQkCgqaf49M%3A

I clicked OK and this page came up: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=mac+virus+found+web+browser+pop+up&espv=2&biw=1184&bih=622&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjN8cjw7sXRAhXDmpQKHZ1vDoYQ_AUIBigB#imgr c=eY1-f6x0IkKIxM%3A

How do I remove the virus from my mac :O

harryb2448
01-16-2017, 01:08 AM
G'day and welcome to the forums.

1. There are no Mac OS X viruses.

2. Message is a scam.

3. If you ARE using a Mac it is also a scam. (I trust you are not trolling us mac_user1).

4. Download Malwarebytes for Mac from the link provided, install and run 'Scan' mode.

5. Do NOT use antivirus or any cleaning software other than Onyx.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

mac_user1
01-16-2017, 01:24 AM
Yes I am using a mac

I scanned using malwarebytes and said found nothing. Do I need to install Onyx?

How do you know your mac is 100% not infected and there are no viruses? I don't want my files or privacy info being attacked.

Rod Sprague
01-16-2017, 01:48 AM
The answer to that lies in the definition of a virus. A virus can replicate itself to another device. There is no such thing for a Mac. There are however many forms of malware and the best way to avoid them is by careful browsing and the use of such things as Adware blockers and Tracker blockers as extensions to your browser.

In addition the advice given to you by harryb2448 covers the rest. Malwarebytes is a sound, reliable and free way to ensure you have no malware or remove it if you have and OnyX is an excellent utility for repairing, cleaning and maintaining your operating system.
** In many cases Disk Utility > First Aid is all you need for repair of minor issues.

Lastly a full, up to date backup of your HD is an essential for data recovery in the worst case scenario where your system becomes irrevocably damaged or corrupted.

mac_user1
01-16-2017, 02:08 AM
Lastly a full, up to date backup of your HD is an essential for data recovery in the worst case scenario where your system becomes irrevocably damaged or corrupted.

How do you know thats not the case? Malwarebyte scan says "nothing is found" is this enough to ensure there are no viruses on my mac?

Sorry, just very paranoid as this has never happened and usually very careful.

chscag
01-16-2017, 02:30 AM
There are no viruses on your Mac because there are no viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac. The pop up you ran into is an old scam trying to get you to either buy something or worse, get hold of your credit card information. Follow the good advice you were given above by Harry and Rod and you'll be OK. It's alright to be paranoid - better safe than sorry. ;D

Rod Sprague
01-16-2017, 02:36 AM
Illness manifests itself with symptoms, if you have no symptoms you're not ill. I know that sounds trite but it is true. Also as stated there are no known viruses for the macOS.
If you do not believe this you can do your own research but I can assure you that at the end of the day you will come to the same conclusion. There is little point in seeking the opinion of a forum like this one if you do not believe the answers you receive.
Secondary to the above those site which try to convince you to the contrary are only trying to sell you a useless product that will slow down your device and potentially do more harm than what they claim to protect you from, MacKeeper being case in point.

MacInWin
01-16-2017, 01:04 PM
How do you know your mac is 100% not infected and there are no viruses? I don't want my files or privacy info being attacked.You CANNOT have a virus because NO VIRUS exists in the wild for Macs. And there is no known vector by which a virus can be created for the Mac operating system. So at this point, until someone discovers some previously unknown vector by which to attack the OS, there is nothing for any antivirus software to look for. As a result, the AV software scans for Windows viruses, which is all it knows about and which will NOT execute in the Mac OS. What it finds, if it finds anything, is either in files you got from a Windows user or a virus embedded in an email. But the virus cannot run in the Mac OS, so it is not going to do you any harm.

In addition to using malwarebytes to eliminate any malware that may be on your machine, and Onyx for general cleaning (once a year, maybe), you might look at Ghostery (ghostery.com) to block the scam-ware you saw at that website. All that warning was is a scam to get your money or credit card information. Ghostery blocks those scams from showing up, also blocks trackers, beacons, ads, and other annoyances of the Internet.