setting up old iPhone for music use only

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an old iPhone that I want to let the girls at work use solely for Pandora, Spotify, etc. I currently have the same Apple ID for this old iPhone and my new one (SIM card was removed from my old iPhone). How is the best way that I can restrict the use of this phone only to Pandora, Spotify, etc? Create a new apple ID for this phone? Or, is there a way to password protect every single app beside Pandora, Spotify? I don't want anyone to have the capability to change my iCloud settings to "ON" and them potentially seeing my iMessages, contact info, or any other personal data. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
First, tell us the model of the iPhone and also what iOS is installed - may impact on your options? Second, depending on the iOS you can go into Preferences -> Restrictions (a.k.a. parental controls) - activate the feature and then see if the settings will serve your needs - I've never used 'Restrictions' so cannot really advise about your queries above. Of course, you can 'erase' the phone and setup as if selling or giving away the device - info HERE - you could then create a 'new' Apple ID, possibly w/o a payment option (check HERE), then use 'Restrictions' to permit just the features desired. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, it would be easiest (set up) and safest to create new Apple ID for different people to use.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I disagree with the idea of setting up another Apple ID for others to use. Multiple Apple IDs which belong to you will only eventually get you into difficulty and possible confusion. If you want to "please the girls at work", clean out that iPhone of all your data, apps, etc, reset it, remove it from your Apple ID, and give it to them. Otherwise, buy them a cheap MP3 player (Amazon sells numerous inexpensive MP3 players) and let them use that instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I disagree with the idea of setting up another Apple ID for others to use. Multiple Apple IDs which belong to you will only eventually get you into difficulty and possible confusion. If you want to "please the girls at work", clean out that iPhone of all your data, apps, etc, reset it, remove it from your Apple ID, and give it to them. Otherwise, buy them a cheap MP3 player (Amazon sells numerous inexpensive MP3 players) and let them use that instead.

My feeling was that our OP wanted to use a Wi-Fi network to stream music from Pandora or Spotify; of course, some type of BT speakers or a cabled connection from the iPhone to a set of speakers would be needed for better quality sound - as in my post, I would agree that he could get his info off the device and use the Restrictions options to prevent his employees from browsing, DL apps, etc. - but, I'll be curious in his response. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My feeling was that our OP wanted to use a Wi-Fi network to stream music from Pandora or Spotify

That's a great idea if that's what the OP wants to do. However, I just can't recommend creating another Apple ID because of the problems that can occur.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Personally I think you can use your existing account and use Restrictions in General Settings to prevent access to pretty much everything except the Pandora and Spotify accounts. You can (under Privacy) restrict access to Accounts, Contacts, Photos, Calendars, iTunes Store, Installing and Removing Apps, Content settings, you name it.
Just set it up Via USB with iTunes as a new phone and don't sync your apps. As in RadDave's instructions Post #2 for selling or giving away a phone.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. This phone will solely be used for streaming music on Pandora or similar apps using Wi-Fi. I ended up erasing the phone and setting up a new Apple ID for work use. I did not enter any credit card information just for safety reasons (I'll try the free apps and see if I get tired of the ads). While I do not think I'd have any problems, employees and patients could potential steal the phone. At this point in time the phone is not worth anything, but I don't want any personal information on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. This phone will solely be used for streaming music on Pandora or similar apps using Wi-Fi. I ended up erasing the phone and setting up a new Apple ID for work use. I did not enter any credit card information just for safety reasons (I'll try the free apps and see if I get tired of the ads). While I do not think I'd have any problems, employees and patients could potential steal the phone. At this point in time the phone is not worth anything, but I don't want any personal information on it.

There are a number of security options for iDevices & laptops, many involving locks and cables - just one shown below from HERE, but I've seen plenty of similar products and other approaches over the years - I've only used a laptop loop cable years ago, so have no recent experience as to how efficient these devices may be? Plus, I'm not sure if that suggestion is even of interest to you. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 11.48.02 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.