Cloud storage

Reaction score
I'm a video editor working with Final Cut Pro on an iMac. I have a HUGE amount of files on my external drives, terabytes worth. I'm looking for an inexpensive and reliable provider of cloud storage. Even though I have two external backup drives, I'd feel safer having at least the most important of these files back-uped somewhere off-site. I tried Carbonite but they don't seem to play well with Macs. Any suggestions? How about Backblaze? Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

You obviously do, and must, have robust backups of everything "in house".

As regards Cloud storage, Backblaze is well thought of and been around a long time. I have no connections with the company, but I am impressed with their support and their quarterly posts on External Hard Drive (EHD) performances across all makes based on their experience with hundreds if not more EHDs.

I would certainly recommend them. If you go on their website, there is a great deal of info. If I recall correctly, they can send you an EHD for your first Backup (BU) if it it so large that it would consume your broadband and take weeks or more to upload.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Ian's good advice about BackBlaze. However, if you have Terabytes of storage to upload to them it may take days or weeks to manually upload it - depending on your connection speed. Ian mentioned that BackBlaze will send an EHD to you where you can copy your data over using something like Carbon Copy Cloner and then send the EHD back to them. That is the way to go if you can afford the extra expense involved. They can do the same thing if you should ever need to restore your data.

OP
S
Reaction score
FYI they do NOT send an external drive for your initial backup. You have to do the backup over the internet. Learned that the hard way, after purchasing it. Fortunately they are supposed to refund my money. Guess I'll keep searching for an inexpensive and convenient way to get done what I need to get done.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's good to know. I could have sworn that I read somewhere that it was possible to do the initial backup to a hard drive and send it to them.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you for this update.

I checked on their website and it appears that a 128GB SSD or 4TB External Hard Drive (EHD) is provided only for restoring your data from BackBlaze and not for uploading purposes as I stated. I think this is a change in policy from when I last investigated the options. I could have sworn that they used to do this.

I apologise for misleading you on this point. It is still an excellent company and service.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's too bad. I too was under the impression that you could forward your initial backup to them via an external hard drive. Trying to upload terabytes of data through an internet connection is ridiculous as it may take weeks to accomplish even with a fast connection. If you do find something that meets your needs, please let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.