PDA

View Full Version : Converting WMF to scalable for Mac

Mitcherooney2
01-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Hi - and Happy New Year.....

I have a bunch - a large one - of WMF's that I want to use with Affinity Photo (for example) and despite scouring the Web, I have found nothing suitable at all. Clearly I need to convert them to another file type. But what? Here's a list of file types that Affinity supports:

File type
Adobe Illustrator (AI)
Adobe Freehand (10 and MX)
Adobe PhotoShop (PSD)
Adobe PhotoShop (PSB)
DNG
EPS
GIF
JPEG
J2K,JP2
JPEG-XR/JXR (WDP/HDP)
PDF
PNG
RAW
SVG
TGA
TIFF
WEBP
OpenEXR
Radiance HDR

My main concern is that the images will be scalable - thus Vector images - I think that I am correct....

From what I've read, EPS suggests itself. Is there a (preferably free) convertor for this?

Any advice welcomed

Thanks

Mitcherooney2

mrplow
01-11-2017, 10:47 AM
You can convert WMF to AI, EPS or SVG or PDF all support vectors (assuming the WMFs you have contain vector content already. WMF can contain vector and/or bitmap content).

There are a number of free convertors online but I'm afraid all of the ones I've tried they just create a bitmap version of a WMF Vector rather than maintaining the vector properties of the original content.

I use Adobe Illustrator and that works fine but cost-wise maybe a sledgehammer to crack a walnut kind of solution. Perhaps there are other free/cheaper vector app that'll do it. Maybe something like Inkscape?

Mitcherooney2
01-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Hi mrplow

Thanks for your reply.

Eventually I found Pixillion - not free, but I wanted to have images available for use with Affinity. The WMFs were used on a Windows program and I hope to ditch that OS in the not to distant future. The images themselves were too good to lose, however. I eventually converted them to SVGs.

Aoolgies for not indicating that the issue had been resolved.

Cheers Mitch

mrplow
01-11-2017, 12:02 PM
No problem. Thanks for posting back with a solution.

Definitely worth getting those kind of assets into a platform intendant format