PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Greetings

harryb2448
12-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Special Christmas Greetings to all members of the forum with a request we not forget what the Season is about - Joy to the World.

I do appreciate all may not agree with Christmas, but no Happy Holidays!

RadDave
12-22-2016, 07:35 PM
Hi Harry - greetings to you and those 'down under' - assume that you're having a nice warm season - :)

Susan & I have a 'mixed' marriage (she Jewish & I Catholic) - we brought up our son in a liberal Unitarian Fellowship, so he benefited from not only celebrating Christmas but also Hanukkah - the latter starts soon, so we'll be lighting our Menorah (use the one in the second pic below) - Susan has a small collection of Menorahs - may have added another one since that last pic was taken? Dave

chscag
12-22-2016, 09:24 PM
Here's a small quiz you can give to your wife Dave:

1. What Jewish festival does Hanukkah celebrate?

2. Who was Judah Maccabee?

And a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, to you and your family!

@Harry: Merry Christmas to you. Enjoy the sun and the warm ocean of Nambucca Heads!

RadDave
12-22-2016, 10:07 PM
Here's a small quiz you can give to your wife Dave:

1. What Jewish festival does Hanukkah celebrate?

2. Who was Judah Maccabee?

And a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, to you and your family!

Hey Chscag - LOL! :) Actually, I just asked her and saw a face of vagueness - ;) Her family liked their Jewish heritage but seemed to be never that serious - her brother refused to do a Bat Mitzvah - now for myself (a history buff), my thought was that the Jewish holiday related to the dedication of the Jewish Temple after the Maccabean Revolt - BUT, please don't asked her about the American Civil War - I've dragged her to SO many places in our area that only confusion emerges - HOWEVER, I'm pretty good about the local history of the Carolina area - ;) Dave

chscag
12-22-2016, 10:17 PM
Hi Dave:

You're correct about the Maccabean Revolt and the rededication of the Temple after it was defiled by the Greek demigod ruler Antiochus Epiphanes. Hanukkah is also known to modern Jews as the "Festival of Lights". Nice article in the Jerusalem Post (http://www.jpost.com/Metro/Celebrating-the-Festival-of-Lights-476270).

RadDave
12-22-2016, 10:53 PM
Hi Dave:

You're correct about the Maccabean Revolt and the rededication of the Temple after it was defiled by the Greek demigod ruler Antiochus Epiphanes. Hanukkah is also known to modern Jews as the "Festival of Lights". Nice article in the Jerusalem Post (http://www.jpost.com/Metro/Celebrating-the-Festival-of-Lights-476270).

Thanks - plenty of info on Hanukkah (Wiki article is good) - Susan likes the menorah candle lighting, so an event we do this time of the year - I'm in charge of the lighter candle (i.e. the shamash) for each of the eight nights - we buy hand-dipped candles online - quite nice and NEED a lot! ;) Dave

lclev
12-22-2016, 11:32 PM
Well whether it is Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah, I wish everyone a wonderful and blessed holiday season.

Lisa

pm-r
12-22-2016, 11:50 PM
Whatever… and to each their choice..

Slydude
12-22-2016, 11:53 PM
Well whether it is Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah, I wish everyone a wonderful and blessed holiday season.

Lisa
Ditto. May each of you be blessed with all the best of the season. To borrow from Tiny Tim "God Bless us, every one!"

harryb2448
12-23-2016, 12:01 AM
As a practising Christian bearing good will to all, I made it my business to read the Maccabee Book of the Old Testament just as I have read the Gnostic Bible.

IWT
12-23-2016, 12:12 AM
And from across the water, may I add my warm blessings to you all; wherever you are and whatever your background, Christmas has that capacity to unite those who believe in peace and fellowship.

Ian

harryb2448
12-23-2016, 03:07 AM
Thank you Ian. I would imagine it would be just a little cold in Wales - you around Hereford way by chance?

IWT
12-23-2016, 04:04 AM
No Harry, we live in North Wales in a village called Deganwy; roughly equidistant from Conwy and Llandudno. By the sea. My avatar, though difficult to make out, is from Deganwy beach looking over the water to Conwy Castle.

Temperatures are hovering around 8-10 degrees C. We are awaiting Storm Barbara from the Atlantic which may prove rather windy.

Ian

dtravis7
12-23-2016, 06:02 AM
Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah to my Jewish friends.

nickyr
12-23-2016, 12:12 PM
Christmas greetings to you all from South Wales - opposite end of the country from Ian.

No freezing temperatures here. In fact the forecast is for a possible record breaking warm day for December in Wales. Not exactly Christmassy but hey ho :-)

McBie
12-23-2016, 12:55 PM
Merry Christmas everyone !
Praying that there will be peace one day. ... Soon.

Cheers ... McBie

toMACsh
12-23-2016, 01:53 PM
In the words of the U.S. President-elect: ;) "Merry Christmas!"

(How's that for a not-so-subtle mixture of religion and politics?)

badshoehabit
12-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Peace on earth.

pigoo3
12-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Happy Holidays everyone!:)

- Nick

ferrarr
12-23-2016, 10:13 PM
HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all!

KevinJS
12-24-2016, 08:30 PM
Merry Christmas and a happy and peaceful new year.