safari recurring hack

Reaction score
I have a client, with an issue with her Safari browser. When she navigates to a site, safari redirects her to a website that totally locks her browser and displays a pop up message with a phone number that she suppose to call. To clear this, I simply force close SAFARI, then when I reopen safari, I quickly navigate away from the redirected page. This stops that lock from happening. Then I go to her browsing history and delete the site.

I thought this was a one time thing, then after a few weeks of not hearing from her, the same hack happens again. According to her, it happens when she navigates to her bank website. It happened again, but this time she said it happened when she was going to another website.

So now, I'm certain that something is going on with her Safari browser or macbook. Any ideas?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Clearing the browser history isn't enough. Have them download Malwarebytes and run it to clear out whatever is causing this. Additionally, they should install the Ghostery extension on Safari to avoid these kinds of issues in the future..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Amazing these Windows guys working on 'client's Mac' and anticipate free help. I wonder if they charge the client?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Amazing these Windows guys working on 'client's Mac' and anticipate free help. I wonder if they charge the client?

I was wondering the same thing when I read the OP's post and what their actual qualifications are…

I have a client, with an issue with her Safari browser

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.