PDA

View Full Version : Not receiving email notifications to subscribed threads.

Rod Sprague
12-04-2016, 08:08 AM
No longer receiving email notifications of new posts to subscribed threads. Nothing seems to have changed in my settings, have logged out and back in. Nothing for three days now?:'(

chscag
12-04-2016, 12:56 PM
We have your email address in our data base. (Make sure by checking your personal profile.) Is it current? If it's correct, it may be a glitch in the forum software. Also, the Premium Lounge is not the best place for you to post this. If other members are likewise having problems we need to know about it. Very few members have access here. So I'm going to move this to our "Community Feedback" where it really belongs.

Slydude
12-04-2016, 02:18 PM
FWIW Looks like I'm still getting the notifications.

Rod Sprague
12-04-2016, 07:52 PM
Well still nothing this morning. Sorry about premium lounge will remember this forum for next time, not PML. Really wasn't to sure where to put it and in s bit of s hurry at the time just one of a series of things that went wrong yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Rod Sprague
12-04-2016, 08:07 PM
I have checked that my email address is up and running and checked my settings in this forum but all seems unchanged. I could try removing my contact email address and re entering it but really i don't know where to go with this and as I'm not receiving any email updates I can't check for feedback without logging into the forum via the app or browser.

Rod Sprague
12-04-2016, 08:13 PM
Just on spec I recall a recent thread mentioned this forum requiring a new password now on a regular basis, was it yearly? i cant recall, so I have changed my password just for the heck of it to eliminate that as a possibility. If no change I will try an email address change.
Any suggestions appreciated. I miss my morning dose of updates/replies to posts.

chscag
12-04-2016, 09:48 PM
@Rod:

If your email address is correct in our data base, don't mess with it as that can cause problems when resetting your password. I'm going to send you a PM verifying your email address that's in our data base. You can reply to this thread by telling us if it is correct.

pm-r
12-05-2016, 12:00 AM
Just posting here Rod in case it helps for you to get any email notifications working as you expect.

I had a similar problem with a different site with a similar problem a month or so ago but the admins seemed to get it resolved, but I never discovered or was informed as to what the problem was, and that site also went through the compulsory password change.

Also, very carefully check any Mail Rules you hay have enabled. Some I had were a bit suspicious but never needed disabling.

- Patrick
======

Rod Sprague
12-05-2016, 02:28 AM
Patrick, I have replied to Charlie re this annoying little glitch. It was not until I read his PM that I thought, oh yes I suppose I should check the Spam Folder and lo and behold there they all were? I then checked the gMail site and yes, all mail from the webmaster at Mac Forums had been placed in my spam folder. A bit more investigation turned up only one possibility, that somehow gMail no longer recognized email from webmaster@mac-forums.com as "authorised" mail. If this is a sender or receiver issue it's hard if not impossible to say but obviously something changed somewhere. There is little or no info on how to fix this and no facility to permanently mark mail as Not Spam in AirMail so I did something I had been meaning to do for ages, downloaded Spam Sieve. Have spent a little time "training" it and hopefully will avoid any further silly mistakes in the future.
Obviously I feel a bit embarrassed that I did not simply look in the Spam first.

Slydude
12-05-2016, 02:51 AM
I don't know why I didn't think of that possibility Rod. I have had that happen before. I've had that happen before. I can be cruising right along for weeks/months at a time with no problems then suddenly emails from the forum start appearing in my junk folder. The problem will usually continue for a day or two then get much better. Even at its best every once in a while something from the forum ends up where it shouldn't be.

The problem isn't confined to Gmail though. My forum emails don't go to my Gmail account. In my case it could be the spam training in Mail that is causing the issue.

Rod Sprague
12-05-2016, 05:34 AM
I gues I'm lucky 'cause this is the first time it's happened to me. Anyhow all good now, lesson learned. Thanks for everyone's help.

IWT
12-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Rod. Don't feel embarrassed. It's life, really. We advise this and that, often to great effect, and don't follow our own advice when the chips are down. Which is why we feel such sympathy for members who get into difficulties. It's hard to think straight in those circumstances.

By the way, the automated request for a PW change is supposed to activate 120 days after the last change.

Ian