iPhoto Advice

Reaction score
I have a six year-old MacBook Pro using OS X 10.6.8. I am a 71year-old complete amateur. There are many programmes that I don’t use, but I have mastered many of the features that I do need on a regular basis. One of my main interests is photography and I do travel a lot so, since I bought the laptop, I have downloaded thousands of photos on to my hard drive. Needless to say, it is now creaking more than I am and I need to resolve the problem as cheaply as possible.

The message I now get when I try to load anything is: “The disk containing your iPhoto library is running low on space.” I have tried removing blocks of photos to a separate hard drive but, as I understand it, this removes them from the file but does not create a lot more space for new pics. I have some of my earlier pics backed up, but I have been lazy in recent years as transferring them elsewhere seemed to be a laborious process.

Whether I should have downloaded my photos this way or not is now immaterial. What I need to know is how to resume downloading in the easiest way. I don’t want to clear all the files off my laptop and I’m afraid that a clean-up programme will do just that.

Are there any suggestions about creating more space within iPhoto (version 8.1.2), or is there any other cheap, or free, photo editing software I could download to a hard drive and continue that way? Or anything else …?

Many Thanks,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Try an app to remove duplicates from your library. This is free. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/duplicate-cleaner-for-iphoto/id586862299?mt=12

A good one, for a small charge, is Photo Sweeper.

Also, you can probably increase the RAM on your MBP which would give you more space for additional pictures. It's easy to do, even for an amateur (like me) with videos on YouTube. Have a look at Crucial, who supply memory and you will be able to search for what is possible (after entering your model number) and compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The message I now get when I try to load anything is: “The disk containing your iPhoto library is running low on space.”

Do a google search on 'The disk containing your iPhoto library is running low on space' and you'll get lots of hits:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=YVE3WPCRFens8we7r7f4BQ

or even on 'iPhoto library full' to get hits:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=yFA3WKm_Gubs8wfMsb2ACg

And you'll get lots of instructions and methods, just like this one at:
http://time.com/3616520/mac-photo-storage-space/

PS: I caution that you get your libraries organized and maybe backed up before even attempting to run any "find duplicate photo" type apps!!!

PS: Welcome to the '70s age world. ;)

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

… …
Also, you can probably increase the RAM on your MBP which would give you more space for additional pictures. It's easy to do, even for an amateur (like me) with videos on YouTube. Have a look at Crucial, who supply memory and you will be able to search for what is possible (after entering your model number) and compatible.

Sorry. Wrong and incorrect info!!

Increasing any RAM memory is completely unrelated to drive space requirements!!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Apologies. I get confused.

- Patrick
======[/QUOTE]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.