PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Comments - Improvement?

Ember1205
11-20-2016, 09:53 PM
Personally, I couldn't care less about how many "Reputation Points" I accumulate. I do appreciate, however, knowing when someone has found a post that I've made useful in some way as it helps me to understand what "hits home" with folks for my own future reference.

The current notification system leaves a lot to be desired (IMHO) and I'm wondering if at least a small improvement could be made.

I can understand leaving anonymity for the person that's providing the comment, but could the notice be changed to show the exact post that was singled out instead of just the thread? Even when someone puts in comments, I don't always understand what post it's in reference to.

chscag
11-20-2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks for your comments.

We have tried in the past to further define and explain the reputation system. Unfortunately, most folks do not read our rules regarding the reputation system before making their comments. I agree with everything you pointed out. When I make a reputation comment, I let the person know what the comment refers to and who gave them the rep. Nick and I will try to look over our current guidelines regarding the reputation system and see if we can make some changes.

Again, thanks for your comments.

pigoo3
11-20-2016, 10:58 PM
Personally, I couldn't care less about how many "Reputation Points" I accumulate. I do appreciate, however, knowing when someone has found a post that I've made useful in some way as it helps me to understand what "hits home" with folks for my own future reference.

The current notification system leaves a lot to be desired (IMHO) and I'm wondering if at least a small improvement could be made.

I can understand leaving anonymity for the person that's providing the comment, but could the notice be changed to show the exact post that was singled out instead of just the thread? Even when someone puts in comments, I don't always understand what post it's in reference to.

The feature that is desired is already in place. If the red text above each reputation comment is clicked on..it will navigate you directly to the exact thread & exact post that is being given positive or negative reputation.

- Nick

Thumpernator
11-20-2016, 11:25 PM
I tried to add to a person's reputation earlier today and got the message that said I needed to spread reputation around before leaving it again for this person (somewhat to that effect). I don't post a lot of questions, but when I do and someone really nails my problem/question down, I'd like to give them credit for helping.

If you guys could look into possibly changing this, it would be appreciated.

Rod Sprague
11-20-2016, 11:31 PM
Yes I find the same thing, just because a person provide two helpful suggestions in a row shouldn't prevent me from giving reputation points to the same person twice in a row.

chscag
11-20-2016, 11:33 PM
Thanks for your comment. We are currently looking into making the rep system easier to use.

pigoo3
11-20-2016, 11:58 PM
I tried to add to a person's reputation earlier today and got the message that said I needed to spread reputation around before leaving it again for this person (somewhat to that effect). I don't post a lot of questions, but when I do and someone really nails my problem/question down, I'd like to give them credit for helping.

If you guys could look into possibly changing this, it would be appreciated.

Yes I find the same thing, just because a person provide two helpful suggestions in a row shouldn't prevent me from giving reputation points to the same person twice in a row.

This is a feature built into the website to prevent abuse of the reputation system. Reputation needs to be "spread around" before someone can give the same member reputation again.

Here's a "sticky thread" posted in the "News and Community Announcements" area that provides some additional details regarding the reputation system:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/news-community-announcements/68770-reputation-system-faq.html

HTH,

- Nick

KevinJS
11-21-2016, 12:21 AM
I agree with most of what's been posted. I try to use rep systems as much as possible, because I know that quite a bit of research can go into what seems like a simple answer.

However, I've been guilty of not leaving too much info, believing wrongly that the rep points were more important than the comments. In future, I'll address this fault.

I prefer the rep system used here over the simple "like" system employed by other forums. It seems that, used properly, it's a much more powerful tool.

Slydude
11-21-2016, 02:29 AM
Have to agree Kevin. Any indication that a post is helpful is a good thing. The best comments though are those that give some hint as to why the post in question is helpful.

IWT
11-21-2016, 05:50 AM
On every occasion when I've used the reputation system, I've said why, emphasising any particular points of special merit, mentioned the recipient by name and signed my name at the end. So, it needn't be anonymous.

I think the point Ember was making in the first post is that if it's a longish thread and one gets rep points, the comments section might just say "thanks" or "helpful" and you don't know who thought which of your several posts in the thread was the "helpful" one.

That said, I think it works pretty well; and like others here, I'm just as chuffed to have someone post "nice idea" as I am getting points.

Ian

Ember1205
11-21-2016, 08:57 AM
And how does one navigate BACK to the reputation points area to review the ones that have been given?

pigoo3
11-21-2016, 10:29 AM
And how does one navigate BACK to the reputation points area to review the ones that have been given?

"Back" button or "previous page" button on the browser works great.:)

- Nick

Raz0rEdge
11-21-2016, 10:43 AM

I don't believe you can see all the points you have given, but you can see all the reputation related stuff you've received by clicking on the Settings link on the top right of the page.

RadDave
11-22-2016, 11:57 PM
Well, coming in late to this thread, but I have a few comments: 1) those who claim that they don't care about the 'reputation system' and post are likely wanting to be acknowledged - just my feeling; 2) the restriction of not being able to give a 'reputation' to a member is too long - i.e. this should be shorten in some fashion; and 3) many posters seem to be 'unaware' of the reputation system and have no idea on how to enhance one's contribution - this needs to be addressed; I don't know how but just saying - Dave :)

chscag
11-23-2016, 02:36 AM
@Dave:

We have no control over the length of time that has to expire before being able to give someone rep points. That is pre-programmed into the rep system. Newcomers to our forums are encouraged to read through the "Sticky" posts and guidelines so that they may be become familiar with how forums are run. Unfortunately, most newcomers join to ask a question or get their problem resolved and are not interested in anything else. It's the regular folks like yourself who have joined and stay around to offer help and advice that read the Stickies and guidelines. For which the staff thanks you for your participation. :)

Ember1205
11-23-2016, 10:06 AM
Well, coming in late to this thread, but I have a few comments: 1) those who claim that they don't care about the 'reputation system' and post are likely wanting to be acknowledged - just my feeling; 2) the restriction of not being able to give a 'reputation' to a member is too long - i.e. this should be shorten in some fashion; and 3) many posters seem to be 'unaware' of the reputation system and have no idea on how to enhance one's contribution - this needs to be addressed; I don't know how but just saying - Dave :)

For me, chiming in on a thread is about helping someone else as much as it is possibly learning new stuff myself. I honestly couldn't care less about earning "points" or whatever, but I do take an interest in understanding the problem and whether or not I was able to help solve it. This learning cycle helps me help myself down the road, and I can also tell other folks with a similar problem "Here's something that I know helped some folks out..." if I get the feedback that I was able to help in the past.