PDA

View Full Version : Log on password reset now required every 120 days

chscag
11-11-2016, 03:45 PM
As some of you may have already found out... your password will expire after 120 days and will have to be reset. This seems to be a straight forward process, however, as with anything else, there is always Murphy's Law. :) Please make sure you write down your new password or enter it into your password keeper application. If you have any questions regarding resetting your password, send one of our Staff Members a PM and we will try to assist you.

pigoo3
11-11-2016, 03:50 PM
I wanted to second what chscag mentioned. And add...keep track of the email address you registered with. Sometimes this comes in handy.:)

- Nick

ferrarr
11-11-2016, 03:52 PM
I didn't know that, is this something new? When did this start?

chscag
11-11-2016, 04:00 PM
It caught us by surprise also. However, there were indications that this would be implemented after the initial password reset that was required for the entire membership including staff members. You remember how that went. :( I want to reinterate what Nick pointed out above: Your correct email address is of paramount importance. ;D

pigoo3
11-11-2016, 04:50 PM
I didn't know that, is this something new? When did this start?

The first time was this past Summer when we had to change password's (120 days ago from yesterday for me).;)

- Nick

harryb2448
11-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Do we get notificatrion of this Charlie, or just like last time not able to gain access? A notification say five days prior would help.

Now one to throw you. Can a member who changed the password last time, supply the former password, meaning fluctuations between the two?

Rod Sprague
11-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Wow! thats good news I thought is was an error caused by me swapping browsers.

chscag
11-11-2016, 10:42 PM
Do we get notificatrion of this Charlie, or just like last time not able to gain access? A notification say five days prior would help.

Now one to throw you. Can a member who changed the password last time, supply the former password, meaning fluctuations between the two?

No prior notification Harry. It took me by surprise yesterday when the notification appeared. It would not allow me to log on until I had selected and verified a new password.

As to your second question... I don't know if it stores old passwords or not. I generated and selected a new password but you can give it a try and see what happens. The worst that can occur is it will refuse to use a password that you had from before.

Rod Sprague
11-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Does it happen at the same time for everybody or 120 days after last new password creation date?

pm-r
11-12-2016, 12:50 AM
Does it happen at the same time for everybody or 120 days after last new password creation date?

I doubt even any heavy gambling Admin would want to commit to replying to that question with any accuracy… :[

- Patrick
======

chscag
11-12-2016, 12:50 AM
Not everyone at once. It occurs when an individual member reaches the 120 day mark with his or her current password.

pigoo3
11-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Member visiting frequency effect's the creation date of a new password. Thus the main reason the 120 day period can be different for member's.

- Nick

Alwyn
01-05-2017, 02:42 AM
It caught us by surprise also. However, there were indications that this would be implemented after the initial password reset that was required for the entire membership including staff members. You remember how that went. :( I want to reinterate what Nick pointed out above: Your correct email address is of paramount importance. ;D

I don't usually read this particular part of the forum so I am bemused. Are you talking about the Forum password or Apple password?

chscag
01-05-2017, 02:51 AM
We're referring to the forum log on password you created for yourself. The new requirement is that it be changed every 120 days. Your Apple password is a different horse running in a different race. ;D

IWT
01-05-2017, 03:54 AM
Member visiting frequency effect's the creation date of a new password. Thus the main reason the 120 day period can be different for member's.

- Nick

Re-reading this thread, I came across your post, Nick. This explains a lot since it is way beyond 120 days since I was compelled to change my Forums PW last time.

Maybe I'm just not working hard enough for the Forums:Mischievous: Though I visit several times a day.

Could it be, also, that I never log out and have "Remember Me" checked?

Ian

McBie
01-05-2017, 01:31 PM
I can't remember ever having to change my password on the forums. I must be way beyond 120 days.
Maybe it is a combination of things that triggers the password change and not just the number of days since last change ?

Cheers ... McBie

chscag
01-05-2017, 03:25 PM
We believe it also has to do with the number of days you visit and log on. For example... I log on every day so my 120 days will be consumed quickly, whereas if you only log on once in awhile, your 120 days will be consumed more slowly.

I personally hope that our owners (security team) will reconsider and change the password reset requirement to every 6 months. Resetting the password often has caused problems not only for our members but also for us on the staff. You can probably gather from a post made by Nick that we have a problem with our members not keeping up with their correct email address. That causes delays and unnecessary work trying to contact the member and get them logged back in.

I'm sure that some members have given up on us when that happens and then decide to move on to another forum.

pigoo3
01-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Hey...this is 2017 in computerland.;) Lots & lots of places require userids & passwords to enter websites...and many need to be changed at periodic intervals. I'm sure we all have lists of userid's & passwords stashed or "remembered" somewhere.:) Add Mac-Forums to that list (it should be there already).;)

Then when a periodic password change is necessary...it's easy!:)

- Nick

p.s. Remember. It's a VERY bad idea to use the same exact userid & password for all your security needs. I KNOW...some folks do (or try to do) this!;) lol

Barros
02-12-2017, 01:44 PM
I think all passwords will not remember ever)

pigoo3
02-12-2017, 03:09 PM
I think all passwords will not remember ever)

You might want to work on that.:)

If you try to log into Mac-Forums 120 days from now...and can't log in because you didn't properly manage your password. Maybe we won't let you back in!;)

- Nick

Dittoman1
03-11-2017, 03:41 PM
I tried 5 times and fail, had to wait 15 min and try again, well I said try only ID name without @aol.com and pw...BINGO Got in...Its really not the email, they want ID with new password

chscag
03-15-2017, 04:19 PM
I want to remind everyone again that we must reset our personal passwords every 120 days. And it appears that the 120 days has expired for many of us including myself. As long as your user name and email address are registered in our data base, and especially that your email address is UP TO DATE, you should have no trouble changing your password.

Please review your personal profile to make sure that your email address is correct.

Thanks.

Rod Sprague
03-15-2017, 09:54 PM
This is an extremely annoying, unnecessary and poorly managed arrangement. Why can't we at least receive a notification, prompt or popup on the home site to take us to the reset page. It's obvious that many people, including myself have had trouble resetting their passwords from time to time. Given that it is a time consuming inconvenience the least we should expect is a "your password has expired" message when trying to login. Are we all expected to set a calendar event to remind us?
In my case I often open the page via an email notification of a thread I'm following and my password manager enters my password only to be told I have entered the wrong password. Usually that means I try again, now having used up 2 of my 5 attempts already I'm faced with creating a new password. No email with a "Reset Password" link. It usually takes two attempts to reset and sometimes more leaving me locked out for 15 min.
All I'm saying here is if it must be done (and this is the only site I visit where it is required) the least that could be done is to make it a little easier.

chscag
03-15-2017, 10:32 PM
Why can't we at least receive a notification, prompt or popup on the home site to take us to the reset page.

That's exactly what our system does. You will receive a prompt when you attempt to log on that states your password has expired and needs to be reset. It then asks you for your old password and to enter your new password once and once more to verify. What could be easier? ;D

Dittoman1
03-15-2017, 11:34 PM
This is an extremely annoying, unnecessary and poorly managed arrangement. Why can't we at least receive a notification, prompt or popup on the home site to take us to the reset page. It's obvious that many people, including myself have had trouble resetting their passwords from time to time. Given that it is a time consuming inconvenience the least we should expect is a "your password has expired" message when trying to login. Are we all expected to set a calendar event to remind us?
In my case I often open the page via an email notification of a thread I'm following and my password manager enters my password only to be told I have entered the wrong password. Usually that means I try again, now having used up 2 of my 5 attempts already I'm faced with creating a new password. No email with a "Reset Password" link. It usually takes two attempts to reset and sometimes more leaving me locked out for 15 min.
All I'm saying here is if it must be done (and this is the only site I visit where it is required) the least that could be done is to make it a little easier.

I had to wait 15 min twice then I finally got it when I realized its not my email addy to fill it, it my ID without @aol.com...Bingo

Rod Sprague
03-16-2017, 12:06 AM
OK chscag, I will wait until the next time and see what happens. The last time, as i log in automatically I was told my password was incorrect prompting me to re enter it. No option to change it or that it was expired. Attempting to enter it manually only resulted in the same notification (incorrect password). It took three tries before I was offered the option to create a new password.

chscag
03-16-2017, 02:41 AM
Sorry for your trouble Rod, but entering an incorrect password is not the same as being notified that your password has expired. As stated, we are required to change our password every 120 days. I personally believe the 120 day requirement is too short a time for changing it but that decision is not left up to the staff.

ferrarr
03-16-2017, 02:11 PM
That's exactly what our system does. You will receive a prompt when you attempt to log on that states your password has expired and needs to be reset. It then asks you for your old password and to enter your new password once and once more to verify. What could be easier? ;D
I also don't remember getting the prompt to change passwords. Is there a way for me to see the date I last changed my password? I believe I am close to the 120 day mark, but not positive.

chscag
03-16-2017, 04:40 PM
@Bob:

As far as I know, there is no definitive way to determine from our data base when the 120 days has expired for an individual. I suppose when it occurs to each of us, we could write down the date and keep it as a note somewhere or as a reminder. That would give us some idea of when the 120 days would be up.

The password prompt notification pop up should appear as you log in and if the system has flagged you to change your password. It did for me and also for other members. And it has been that way since the new requirements went into effect. Let me know if it doesn't for you or if it won't accept your new password.