PDA

View Full Version : 1password for IPad and MBA

maddawg46
11-10-2016, 02:01 AM
I'm pretty old school. I still write all my different passwaords down. For RV Travel I was considering this 1password app for generating passwords. Anybody use this? Can I use with my IPad Air and MacBook Pro? Am thinking of upgrading to a MB Air.
Would that add security to an open wifi network or the iPad cell data?

chscag
11-10-2016, 02:43 AM
The 1Password app is highly recommended by Macworld Mag and many of us (including myself) own a copy. Note that it's a pricey app and that you must buy separate versions for OS X and iOS. They may also have a single price that covers both. I do not use it for iOS, only for OS X. You might also wish to take a look at alternative password apps. Several are available in the Mac App Store. And some are free.

IWT
11-10-2016, 05:26 AM
+1 for 1Password, if I may.

It does a lot more than generate Passwords (PW). Rather than I rabbeting on about it, here's a Link within which are short videos and you can Take the Tour of its offerings as well:

https://1password.com

NB The app can be purchased directly from AgileBits (Developer) or via the App Store. There are subtle differences between these versions and, generally, the one direct from the Developer is updated slightly sooner than the App Store version.

1PW can be synced between Macs and across iDevices in a number of ways (Via the Cloud, via Dropbox or manually via your home Wifi).

Please note that I have no connection or financial interest in this product. These are my personal opinions based on many years of using this app.

Ian

MacInWin
11-11-2016, 10:26 PM
+1 for 1PW. I'm also a happy user, syncing all my passwords on my MBP, iPhone and iPad. I am a victim of the OMB hack so I use 1PW to generate the longest random password the sites will accept and have a different one for each site. That way I only need to remember the 1PW passphrase.

Rod Sprague
11-11-2016, 10:45 PM
I know I have gone on about this but I use the free Enpass app on my laptop and on my iPhone. Although the iPhone app is not free the desktop version is.
I also must stress I am not affiliated in any way with this software it's just what I am using and have found it to suit my needs.
Just another option really.
https://www.enpass.io/

McBie
11-12-2016, 10:43 AM
+1 for 1Password.
I have it on all my devices, both iOS and MacOS and syncing through iCloud.
Works like a dream.

Cheers ... McBie

KevinJS
11-12-2016, 11:09 AM
I'm probably missing something here, but I use iCloud Keychain. I've never felt the need to use anything else.

ferrarr
11-12-2016, 11:15 AM
I'm probably missing something here, but I use iCloud Keychain. I've never felt the need to use anything else.
I went back to using Safari/iCloud Keychain recently too. I had been using LastPass since 2011/2012.

MacInWin
11-12-2016, 11:47 AM
For just passwords, the Safari/iCloud keychain will share them, but I store other things in 1Password that are not in Keychain. Also, I haven't found a way to see the keychain in iOS, so it's not as useful as a password storage system for those times when you are on a system other than yours and need to remember one of those totally obscure passwords. Doesn't happen that often, I admit, but when it does, it is great to have 1Password (or something similar).

KevinJS
11-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Settings/Safari/Passwords

Then supply passcode or TouchID to view passwords.

ferrarr
11-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Settings/Safari/Passwords

Then supply passcode or TouchID to view passwords.
Kevin, do you know if it is that for all iOS versions? I know it works that way in iOS 9 & 10, but not sure about previous iOS versions?

KevinJS
11-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Kevin, do you know if it is that for all iOS versions? I know it works that way in iOS 9 & 10, but not sure about previous iOS versions?

Sorry, ferrarr

I don't know, and I don't have anything running an older version of iOS to be able to find out.

MacInWin
11-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Thanks, KevinJS, never new that. Still have other information in 1Password, so it's still of great value to me, but good to know Keychain is visible, too.