PDA

View Full Version : Favorite movies all the time!

Vanpersie
11-04-2016, 07:20 AM
Hello mate,

I am much more curious to know about your interest of different movies. What's your favorite movies all the time?

Please let me know. Thanks!!!

pigoo3
11-04-2016, 08:38 AM
I am much more curious to know about your interest of different movies. What's your favorite movies all the time?

Why not start things off and tell us your favorite movie of all time?

- Nick

Vanpersie
11-07-2016, 11:08 AM
I like tragedy movie always. And the end of the movie the actor or actress will die.

pigoo3
11-07-2016, 11:19 AM
I like tragedy movie always. And the end of the movie the actor or actress will die.

Ok. Tradegy movies is a category or genre of movie/film. Now tell us your favorite tradegy movie or movies of all time...and you will have answered the question you asked at the beginning of the thread.:)

- Nick

KevinJS
11-07-2016, 11:19 AM
Favourite movie of all time? Well, that's easy:-

2001: A Space Odyssey.

In 1968, no-one had yet been to the moon, no-one really knew what the Earth looked like from space and somehow Kubrick got it pretty close. The music used in the soundtrack was perfect and nearly 50 years later, the movie still doesn't feel dated.

pigoo3
11-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Favourite movie of all time? Well, that's easy:-

2001: A Space Odyssey.

In 1968, no-one had yet been to the moon, no-one really knew what the Earth looked like from space and somehow Kubrick got it pretty close. The music used in the soundtrack was perfect and nearly 50 years later, the movie still doesn't feel dated.

Interesting perspective. Before the moon landings this would have been even more Sci-Fi than it is now.:)

As far as my most favorite movie. Darn...to just pick one will take some VERY serious thought (there are so many).;) It's kind of like saying...if you could have a single movie title etched on your gravestone...what would it be? THAT takes some serious thought!;);)

- Nick

IWT
11-07-2016, 11:37 AM
And the end of the movie the actor or actress will die.

We usually call that Opera ;P

Ian

KevinJS
11-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Interesting perspective. Before the moon landings this would have been even more Sci-Fi than it is now.:)

As far as my most favorite movie. Darn...to just pick one will take some VERY serious thought (there are so many).;) It's kind of like saying...if you could have a single movie title etched on your gravestone...what would it be? THAT takes some serious thought!;);)

- Nick

Let's put it this way, Kubrick and Clarke are no longer with us, and if their gravestones were inscribed with "Creator of 2001" I don't think they would be unhappy.

In 2018, the movie hits its 50th anniversary, and I will be very surprised if MGM don't take advantage of the fact to do a rerun in cinemas. There are other movies which are trotted out repeatedly, such as "Wizard of Oz" and the James Bond saga, but 2001 has a magic all its own. Hell, it even invented the iPad Pro. Look at the BBC12 broadcast and tell me what you see. The Space Race was essentially driven by military considerations. 2001 managed to sidestep that, and concentrated on peaceful, collaborative exploration. It sums up what Apollo aspired to but couldn't quite deliver. "For All Mankind."

I've had a lot of time to think this one through. I don't watch the movie endlessly, but I do keep coming back to it. I watch it at least once a year and IF it ever returns to cinema, I'll be there. There are some great movies which stand out for various reasons, but even Kubrick's other masterpieces can't quite match the awesome grandeur of the orbital parking manoeuvres set to The Blue Danube, or the anticlimactic strains of Happy Birthday as Frank Poole hurtles towards Jupiter and his death.

To me, there can never be another movie like it. Hope, ambition, success, tragedy. The movie has them all, as well as a damned good story, masterfully told.

RadDave
11-07-2016, 01:34 PM
BOY, I cannot really pick a 'favorite' film of all time for me - would have to first look at genres (westerns, musicals, film noir, comedies, sci-fi, etc.) and then narrow down my choices - I own around 1200 videos (about 800 commercial video discs, 60% are blu-rays & 400 or more DVD-Rs that I've burned from the TCM channel, all public domain). My main 'movie posts' are left in a thread in the Good-Music-Guide Forum HERE (http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,33.24920.html) - I'm SonicMan46 there.

Now there are many 'best films of all times' lists - one being from the American Film Institute (http://www.afi.com/100Years/movies10.aspx) - below I've tried to do a Keynote combo of their 100 'best films', most of which I own - must say that in the top ten of that listing, Casablanca & Singin' In the Rain are in my top favorites list. :) Dave

harryb2448
11-07-2016, 03:54 PM
Wow Dave you need to get back to work my lad! Just too much spare time on your hands. Don't think I have ever seen 100 films. Then again I guess it is forty years since I bothered to go to a cinema!

docx
11-07-2016, 07:41 PM
For me it has to be Saving Private Ryan.
The battle scenes are amazing.

RadDave
11-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Wow Dave you need to get back to work my lad! Just too much spare time on your hands. Don't think I have ever seen 100 films. Then again I guess it is forty years since I bothered to go to a cinema!

LOL Harry! :) Well, I'm a videophile, I guess; also a woodworker and enophile (although my wife calls me a 'wino' - ;) ) - now I figure that you & I could do a video binge w/ my collection - let's see, about 2 hrs/movie = 2400 hours; SO, would take us just 100 days (all day of course) to get through this number of films - but in all honesty, I may watch just a couple of films every few days, so many just sit on the shelf - :) Dave

lclev
11-07-2016, 09:57 PM
The Legend of Bagger Vance.

I love the depth and complexity of the characters. I love how it shows how people can overcome what seems to be almost insurmountable adversity. There is also the underlying suggestion of who the character of Bagger Vance represents and who sent him to help Junuh.

Lisa

dtravis7
11-08-2016, 12:31 AM
I agree with Nick. Very hard to just list one movie. But I will list one that when I saw it in the theater I was very impressed. I RARELY see movies away from home.

Anyway I will say Star Wars - Return of the Jedi.

There are so many more but that is what I can come up with without my brain hurting! :D

pigoo3
11-08-2016, 11:26 AM
There are so many more but that is what I can come up with without my brain hurting! :D

Great way of describing it Dennis!:)

If I tried to narrow things down to just one movie title...and put some serious thought to it...I could certianly feel a headache coming on!:( I think that I could come up with a list of 5-10 favorites...but just one would be really really tough.

Or maybe another way of doing it. Maybe listing a favorite movie from the last year, last 5 years, last 10 years would be an easier.:) "Moving pictures" have been around for over 100 years. That's a lot of possibilities for a favorite of all time!:)

- Nick

badshoehabit
11-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Fargo (in fact anything by the Coen Brothers)
The Sixth Sense (missed so many clues first time round by keeping my eyes shut!)
Don't Look Now (missed the first five minutes first time round which is crucial to deciphering the rest)
Blade Runner
Behind the Candelabra
The Third Man

pigoo3
11-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Fargo (in fact anything by the Coen Brothers)
The Sixth Sense (missed so many clues first time round by keeping my eyes shut!)
Don't Look Now (missed the first five minutes first time round which is crucial to deciphering the rest)
Blade Runner
Behind the Candelabra
The Third Man

Blade Runner is a VERY good one! VERY VERY good special effects/atmosphere/realism for a 1982 movie without all of the CGI tools movie-makers have today. Even 36 years later...the effects are very realistic without much if anything looking cheezy, cheap, or fake by 2016 standards!:)

- Nick

KevinJS
11-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Blade Runner is a VERY good one! VERY VERY good special effects/atmosphere/realism for a 1982 movie without all of the CGI tools movie-makers have today. Even 36 years later...the effects are very realistic without much if anything looking cheezy, cheap, or fake by 2016 standards!:)

- Nick

Tears In Rain. WHAT a scene! And the Vangelis soundtrack is one of the greats.

badshoehabit
11-08-2016, 02:30 PM
I'm dreading the sequel.

James322
11-11-2016, 05:00 AM
Hi,
It's hard to pin point. There are many movies.

I like the thrillers and sci-fi movies the most.

The most recent sci fi movie I watched was interstellar and I loved it.

linedog
11-13-2016, 11:31 PM
Easy for me, The Day The Earth Stood Still. The original not the waste of time remake.

KevinJS
11-14-2016, 01:00 AM
Easy for me, The Day The Earth Stood Still. The original not the waste of time remake.

I bought the remake. Bonus material was the original on BluRay, and you're right. It was vastly superior to the new version.

Since I have a post to finish, I'll chuck in a few more favourites.

Apollo 13, along with anything else with Tom Hanks in it, except the FedEx commercial.
The Imitation Game. Alan Turing is something of a personal hero.
Gladiator. Awesome soundtrack.
Lord Of The Rings.
A Few Good Men. For the Jack Nicholson monologue, which he did in one take.
Inception. Great story.
Gravity (3D). Spectacular video and sound.

Hania22
12-19-2016, 02:06 AM
I like Step Up 2

Tomsonn
02-15-2017, 01:07 AM
These are my favorite movies.
Shutter Island
Blood Diamond
Forest Gump
Terminal
Lord of the Rings (1-3)

Tomsonn
02-19-2017, 04:34 PM
Reservoir Dogs
Rocky
Memento
Braveheart
Inception
Die Hard
The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
On The Waterfront.

sarasharrock
03-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Well my all time fav movie is Shawshank Redemption and than it has to be Cast Away by Tom Hanks! I just love these 2, i was glued in front of TV the whole time while watching these, and they left a big mark on my heart even today! Finest work in english cinema! :)

Yamaha Pat
03-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Good movies all, but I think The Hudsucker Proxy is my favorite.

Pat

Rickman
03-15-2017, 08:25 PM
I luv my James Bond collection. Cant pick just one!

chscag
03-15-2017, 09:17 PM
I luv my James Bond collection. Cant pick just one!

Who was your favorite James Bond actor? (Lots to choose from.)

Mine was Roger Moore.

sgtjim57
03-15-2017, 09:29 PM
It's a toss up: Blazing Saddles or Full Metal Jacket.

Yamaha Pat
03-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Who was your favorite James Bond actor? (Lots to choose from.)

Mine was Roger Moore.

I liked Roger Moore also mainly because of Live and Let Die.

Rickman
03-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Who was your favorite James Bond actor? Mine was Roger Moore.

I liked Roger Moore also mainly because of Live and Let Die.

Definitely Sean Connery first, followed by Moore than Craig. Always had a soft spot for George Lazenby's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", even though it's the only one he played in.

Cant say the same for the Pierce Brosnan & Timothy Dalton, only 'cause I didn't care for those Bond movies.

Yamaha Pat
03-17-2017, 12:05 AM
If George Lazenby had made two or three movies. The bond chain might be a lot different.

Pat

chscag
03-17-2017, 02:51 AM
A bit of trivia here about the Bond actors: Actually Roger Moore was chosen to do James Bond but at the time he was tied up in a contract to do the TV series "The Saint". Sean Connery was the second choice and wound up getting the part in "Goldfinger".

IWT
03-17-2017, 05:39 AM
If George Lazenby had made two or three movies. The bond chain might be a lot different.

Pat

Well, Pat, just to be contentious, I thought George Lazenby was embarrassingly awful as a James Bond and there appeared to be no chemistry between him and Diana Rigg (I think it was). The fight sequences were....awful. But, what the heck, live and let die, eh?

Ian

Sawday
03-17-2017, 06:17 AM
Not sure it's a favourite but definitely my most memorable. 'Old Yeller' was the very first film I saw at the cinema as a young child. I cried all the way home!

RadDave
03-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Definitely Sean Connery first, followed by Moore than Craig. Always had a soft spot for George Lazenby's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", even though it's the only one he played in.

Cant say the same for the Pierce Brosnan & Timothy Dalton, only 'cause I didn't care for those Bond movies.

A bit of trivia here about the Bond actors: Actually Roger Moore was chosen to do James Bond but at the time he was tied up in a contract to do the TV series "The Saint". Sean Connery was the second choice and wound up getting the part in "Goldfinger".

Well, Pat, just to be contentious, I thought George Lazenby was embarrassingly awful as a James Bond and there appeared to be no chemistry between him and Diana Rigg (I think it was). The fight sequences were....awful. But, what the heck, live and let die, eh?

Ian

Well, I've seen virtually all of the Bond films over the decades, and own at least 1 w/ each actor (2 w/ Connery) on DVD or BD (the exception is George Lazenby - feel like Ian); but my favorite to watch remains The Living Daylights - love the interaction of Timothy Dalton & Maryam d'Abo and the changes in locales; BUT, have to admit that I've always liked to look at the young Diana Rigg - as for Craig, I bought the first one, saw several more but was bored w/ the CGI specials and their predominance - in the end, choosing Bond films is a very personal decision, IMO - Dave :)

Yamaha Pat
03-17-2017, 12:56 PM

Ian
Its been many a moon(raker) since I have seen it, But I remember that I enjoyed it.

Pat

sarasharrock
03-30-2017, 12:25 PM
50 first dates :D all time fav romantic
and titanic

Backlighting
04-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Just a few, off the top of my head:
Cool Hand Luke
We Were Soldiers
Deliverance
Inglorious B**ta*ds
The Hustler
Apocalypto
T-2
Heat

ian.wright
04-13-2017, 06:31 AM
Seven Pounds, Cast Away, Forest Gump, Django Unchained.

Jason Samuelson
05-04-2017, 08:12 AM
The Departed, Shutter Island, A Beautiful Mind and so on

josnorgren
05-26-2017, 12:13 AM
The Fountain with Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz.
Check it out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993/

peter_pan
07-13-2017, 06:37 AM
Still Shutter Island, 3 Idiots, Into the wild are best for me.

Reinyrooster
08-21-2017, 03:55 PM
"True Lies", How can you not love Jamie Lee Curtis doing her sexy little dance?

Jenny922
09-14-2017, 11:14 PM
Leon: The Professional, When Harry Met Sally, The Godfather, The Social Network, Requiem for a Dream, etc.

onliner
10-11-2017, 07:08 AM
The Vangelis soundtrack is one of the greats.

Quco
10-23-2017, 05:56 PM
Iron Man :Mischievous:

hoovieer
11-23-2017, 11:57 PM
Still Shutter Island, 3 Idiots, Into the wild are best for me.

3 Idiots is lit af! I kinda hate the singing and dancing part :Oops: But the movie itself is a 10/10