Pecker1210
11-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Hi,

How do I remove Mac Adware Cleaner?

Regards

Gavin

Raz0rEdge
11-02-2016, 05:35 PM
What specific app did you install? The instructions will vary from app to app.

Pecker1210
11-02-2016, 05:40 PM
I didn't know how i installed it. It's not an app.
Its listed in applications but i cant send it to trash.
it keeps coming back.

ferrarr
11-02-2016, 05:46 PM
Now, what is the exact name of the app that keeps coming back?

You will want to download Malwarebytes for Mac, https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/, then install and run.

Pecker1210
11-02-2016, 05:48 PM
its this

http://macremover.com/uninstallguides/2016/09/22/remove-mac-adware-cleaner-on-macos/

pm-r
11-02-2016, 11:50 PM
its this
http://macremover.com/uninstallguides/2016/09/22/remove-mac-adware-cleaner-on-macos/

Download and use Find Any File.app and do a seek and destroy on at least the listed stuff.

Find Any File
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

- Patrick
======

digitalbulls
12-02-2016, 12:46 AM
A. First, never use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software on a Mac. That's how you create problems, not how you solve them.

B. You may have installed a fake "utility" called "Advanced Mac Cleaner." Like any software that purports to automatically "clean up" or "speed up" a Mac, it's a scam, and some variants of it are ad-injection malware.

To remove it, please take the steps below. Some of the files listed may be absent in your case. Back up all data before proceeding.

Malware is always changing to get around the defenses against it. This procedure works as of now, as far as I know. It may not work in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for a more recent discussion, or start a new one.

If you paid for the software with a credit card, consider reporting the charge to the bank as fraudulent.

Step 1. Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/LaunchAgents
Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services ▹ Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder named "LaunchAgents" may open. If it does, look inside it for files with a name that begins in either of these ways:

com.pcv.

com.WebShoppy

Move any such file to the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go ▹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Step 2. Open this folder as in Step 1:

/Library/LaunchAgents
Inside it there may be one or more files with a name beginning in

com.WebTools

If so, move those files, and only those, to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password.

Don't delete the LaunchAgents folder or anything else inside it.

Log out or restart the computer.

Step 3. Open the Applications folder and move an item named "Advanced Mac Cleaner" (if it's present) to the Trash. Also remove any items with a name such as "Shoppy" or "WebShoppy." Empty the Trash.

Step 4. In the Extensions tab of the Safari preferences window, uninstall an extension named "XSearch" if it's present. Also remove any other extensions that you don't know you need. If in doubt, remove all of them. None is required for normal operation. You may have to do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those.

Step 5. The malware is now permanently inactivated, provided that you don't reinstall it. This step is optional.

Delete the following items, if they exist, as in Step 1:

/Library/Application Support/amc
~/Library/AdvancedMacCleaner
~/Library/Application Support/WebTools
There's no need to log out or restart after taking this step.

The problem may have started when you downloaded something, such as the application "FileZilla," from the "Sourceforge" website or some other Internet cesspit. Never visit that site again. All software should be downloaded only from the developer's website or from the Mac App Store, if applicable.

C. Links have been posted in this thread to the "macupdate" website. Do not follow the links, and never download anything from that site. It intentionally distributes OS X malware by packaging some free applications (such as "Firefox" and "Skype") in an unnecessary and malicious "installer."

All software should be downloaded directly from the developer's website or from the App Store. Don't trust any site such as "macupdate" that aggregates links.

Rod Sprague
12-02-2016, 05:13 AM
I didn't know how i installed it. It's not an app.
Its listed in applications but i cant send it to trash.
it keeps coming back.

It is an app and unless it's pretty sneaky you did install it. According to this site http://macadwarecleaner.com/ it cost AU $39.95 so why do you want to uninstall it anyway?
It may be another useless, expensive and potentially dangerous "cleaning" app but the site appears to be genuine.
Like many apps of this kind you cannot simply remove it by dragging it to the trash, it has many more files than just the application itself. If it does not come with a specific uninstaller it's often best to contact the support service, also listed on the above page or in this case follow the instructions given on the site by pecker1210.

jklingel
12-04-2016, 03:31 AM
Digital: Many thanks. I had the same issue with the Adware, and it seems that I have nuked it following your steps; no garbage has appeared for a few hours now! BTW: I emailed the company as well, and just heard back from them. I thought that was nice of them, but the suggestion was to go to their web site and download the uninstaller. Hmmm. I thanked the man, but respectfully declined and told him why: No trust anymore. Once a sneak, always a sneak, IMHO. cheers. john

Rod Sprague
12-05-2016, 05:57 AM
Funny, if there is an uninstaller it would usually come with the app. Either as part of a folder of the same name or sometimes on the drive that you see when you launcg the .dmg file that you download initially. I often keep those .dmg because they sometimes have "Read Me's" or uninstallers included. But I think if they have an uninstaller it would be safe to download and run it's the disreputable ones that don't (with the possible exception of MacKeeper).

LexS
12-05-2016, 07:26 AM
Hi,

How do I remove Mac Adware Cleaner?

Regards

Gavin

the "app" is still "running".
restart the mac and delete.

greyzland
12-13-2016, 02:33 PM
This Mac Cleaner app is very aggressive....it will lock your screen and hold it ransom until you agree and accept...and for the naive', it seems like you are running out of option but to agree and accept just to get your screen back..........

pm-r
12-13-2016, 03:14 PM
This Mac Cleaner app is very aggressive....it will lock your screen and hold it ransom until you agree and accept...and for the naive', it seems like you are running out of option but to agree and accept just to get your screen back..........

Huh…????

Rod Sprague
12-14-2016, 12:40 AM
I'm a little confused by this thread. Pecker1210, did we/you solve your problem? And greyzland, I don't understand your comments at all do you have the same issue or did you find a way to remove the app?

greyzland
12-15-2016, 03:17 PM
I'm a little confused by this thread. Pecker1210, did we/you solve your problem? And greyzland, I don't understand your comments at all do you have the same issue or did you find a way to remove the app?

I got caught by this ad so many many times as i was browsing in the net....if froze my screen and the only option highlighted was to contact the site to rid of the situation.....it was just a good thing i was already perusing this site and I had an idea of what this ad is so I just powered off my MBP to shut it down...... that is why so many naive mac users fall prey to these "ransom" bait because of the ads' aggressiveness in freezing the laptop...
I'm just sharing what my experience were, to let people know they create more problems than solution by falling prey to this "supposed to be help" scary tactics by these ads... nothing more than that....