Hidden device - can't unhide!

Reaction score
Just started using a Mac. Not all things are obvious!

Prior to attempting to remove a device I inadvertently clicked the "Hide" icon beside the device's name in the sidebar (which doesn't inform the user that it's a Hide icon! I thought it was there to "safely remove" a device - but that's another problem I've now got to find a solution to!). I've scoured this Forum and the Mac desktop options as well as asking Siri (who thinks "device" means an Apple product!), and the only solution offered hasn't worked for me. It was (approximately): "scroll over the hidden object's location in the sidebar and click on the text appearing alongside where the hidden object is listed." No text appeared - and I've done a good mouse-roll!

Can anybody tell me please how to make my hidden device (a voice recorder) re-appear in the sidebar. Until it does I can't use the device.

I'm assuming Mac systems allow for an "Unhide" option to be discovered, but so far it remains elusive. :'(

Thanks amigos!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In a Finder window, click on Finder in the top MenuBar, then select Preferences. Select the Sidebar tab, and select the devices you want to show in the Finder window sidebar. You can also select the General tab and select devices to appear on your Desktop, if you want.

OP
N
Reaction score
Can't unhide a hidden device.

Thanks for your quick response, Ferrarr.

I followed your advice to the letter - except that the device I want to "unhide" (Voice Recorder) doesn't appear in the Finder Preferences "Devices" (or any other: Favourites; Shared; Tags.) section of the sidebar! In fact, with the exception of "Movies" every available option is ticked for "Show these items in the sidebar"

As my username suggests, I am none the wiser! Do you have any further suggestions please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Probably too late for this, but does "Undo" show up in the Edit menu, or is it greyed out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Shut down the Mac, disconnect the device, then startup the Mac and reconnect the device.

Do you use the voice recorder with iTunes, or does it have it's own software to use it? Or, is it supposed to work in the Finder windows to drag and drop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What is the "Voice Recorder" you are trying to use???

- Patrick
======

OP
N
Reaction score
It's a device separate from iTunes. As you suggest, it's used via the Finder window with drag and drop.

I've noted your sensible suggestion to close down the Mac first to remove problem hardware and I'll do this in future. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've noted your sensible suggestion to close down the Mac first to remove problem hardware and I'll do this in future. Thanks.
Actually, I was suggesting this to see if it would get the device to show up in Finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Actually, I was suggesting this to see if it would get the device to show up in Finder.

And a good suggestion at that and maybe even just a Restart would get things working and available again.

Almost the first thing to try these days when things go goofy. ;)

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.