PDA

View Full Version : Time for an Apple Watch forum?

MacInWin
10-25-2016, 05:19 PM
We have forums (fora?) for everything else, why not the Watch? I've looked and haven't found a really good Watch forum anywhere else.

Raz0rEdge
10-25-2016, 05:36 PM
From what I've been able to tell, there aren't enough Apple Watch related/specific discussion that is cluttering up a sub-forum to warrant it being pushed out. Now, it's entirely possible that people aren't discussing the Apple Watch due to a lack of a specific sub-forum dedicated to it...but chicken egg problem there..;)

pigoo3
10-25-2016, 05:40 PM
This has been mentioned before.:) I seem to remember around the August timeframe. I checked into how many Apple watch threads we had in the 2 months prior to that...and I think I found something like 5 threads.

Not saying it wouldn't be a great idea if we had lots of Apple Watch discussions. To be honest...can't remember seeing many (or any) Apple watch threads recently. We need a bunch of Apple Watch "traffic" for a new area to make sense.

Start a revolution Jake!;)

- Nick

pigoo3
10-25-2016, 05:41 PM
Now, it's entirely possible that people aren't discussing the Apple Watch due to a lack of a specific sub-forum dedicated to it...but chicken egg problem there..;)

Very true Ashwin!:)

- Nick

pigoo3
10-25-2016, 05:46 PM
Just remembered. The description of the "Other Hardware and Peripherals" sub-forum was modified to help address the "Where does an Apple Watch question/thread go?":

- Nick

KevinJS
10-25-2016, 06:10 PM
We have an Apple Watch subforum on iPhoneForums. I haven't checked for posts in it because I use the "Active Topics" feed, but it seems to me that it hardly gets used.

I just checked. 49 threads in over a year, plus the usual spam that inactive subforums seem to attract. Of those 49 most seem to be purely chat threads like "Which watchface are you using?" Hardly earthmoving stuff.

MacInWin
10-25-2016, 06:15 PM
Just remembered. The description of the "Other Hardware and Peripherals" sub-forum was modified to help address the "Where does an Apple Watch question/thread go?":

- NickNot exactly high visibility there, Nick!

Seriously, I have just gotten an AW and am struck by the lack of any major boards anywhere. There are a few that have sporadic posts, but nothing near to this site in terms of friendliness and helpfulness. As Ashwin said, it's chicken/egg. So maybe if I keep this thread active there will be enough others coming out of the woodwork to make it useful.

Anyway, the latest version of the watchOS came out today, installed fine for me. I wasn't having any of the problems it fixed, but it is nice to know Apple is staying on top of it. My wife got it for me for our 50th anniversary last week, and I really like the thing. I didn't know if I "needed" one or not, but having it for a week now I don't know how I got along without it before. It's a combination watch, exercise band, heart monitor and iPhone extension all rolled into one. I usually end up with about 35% power left at bedtime even using it for exercise between 45 and 90 minutes/day. If you are on the fence about one, I say go for it!

KevinJS
10-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Just remembered this one, Jake. It may be of interest to you.

http://www.applewatchforum.net/forums/

Looking at the names of some of the contributors, I can tell you that there are some very knowledgeable people there.

MacInWin
10-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Kevin, I've been there. Knowledgable, but not very active over there. Most of the forums have mostly inactive threads from months ago. Maybe there isn't a "mass" of users large enough to ask a lot of questions. Frankly, the watch is pretty easy to use and "just works" so maybe a discussion forum isn't THAT useful. But we'll see what the response is here. So far I seem to be the only commenter who has one.

KevinJS
10-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Could be. I only knew it existed because one of the admins carries a link to it in his signature on the iOS forums. I'm not a member, or likely to become one.

harryb2448
10-25-2016, 06:58 PM
Very good thread heading Jake. 'Time' for an Apple Watch forum!~!!

lclev
10-25-2016, 07:09 PM
I head over to macrumors when I want to discuss the Apple Watch as I have not noticed a lot of people on this forum who have one or post about them. I was planning on heading over there to see if others had noticed the HUGE improvement in battery usage with the recent update to 3.1 (81% after 9 hours)

Lisa

chscag
10-25-2016, 07:36 PM
Thought I read somewhere that sales of the Apple Watch were down quite a bit and disappointing this past quarter?

lclev
10-25-2016, 09:15 PM
Thought I read somewhere that sales of the Apple Watch were down quite a bit and disappointing this past quarter?

Yes, sales are down for what was reported but with the Watch 2 just coming out recently those figures are not out yet. Also the iPhone 7 sales have not been as spectacular as hoped for but there may yet be a windfall with Samsung Note 7 switchers. Also the Watch is outselling other smartwatches.

http://bgr.com/2016/10/24/apple-watch-sales-q3-16-major-decrease-apple-market-share/

*** and that still does not mean we don't need an apple watch forum section **** :Cool:O:)

Lisa

pigoo3
10-25-2016, 09:25 PM
Not exactly high visibility there, Nick!

The main thing we were trying to address with that was insuring folks knew where to post an Apple Watch thread. Call it an in-between improvement...somewhere between having nothing Apple Watch related & a dedicated Apple watch sub-forum.

Obviously as a person who just got an Apple Watch you have a personal interest in something like this. If you have an Apple Watch question or concern...start a thread.:) I don't think the existence or non-existance of a dedicated Apple Watch sub-forum is going to change the quality of the responses you get or the number of responses you get.

I for one when visiting Mac-Forums always click on the "New Posts" link. Thus regardless of where a thread is posted...I see it. Maybe other folks do the same thing.:)

- Nick

chscag
10-25-2016, 09:26 PM
We probably could combine the Apple Watch with the Apple TV in one forum. Since we don't receive many posts regarding the Apple TV either, maybe that will drive some traffic there. What do you think Apple Watch owners?

pigoo3
10-25-2016, 09:27 PM
*** and that still does not mean we don't need an apple watch forum section **** :Cool:O:)

Yes Lisa...you have an Apple watch too!;)

- Nick

lclev
10-25-2016, 09:34 PM
Yes Lisa...you have an Apple watch too!;)

- Nick

Well yes - and truthfully I am not sure a separate forum would generate more traffic for the apple watch as I am not sure how many of the members have one. Combining Apple TV with Apple Watch does not seem intuitive to me. I am not sure that would make it more visible.

Lisa

chscag
10-25-2016, 10:17 PM
So then can we assume that you are happy with the status quo?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

lclev
10-25-2016, 11:15 PM
It would be nice to have one but at this time I don't know if it would generate more topics on the Watch. Maybe if it were more prominent it would. I, like you, tend to hit New Posts and My Posts when I get on the forum so posts on the Watch I would see. I really have no preference either way.

Lisa

MacInWin
10-25-2016, 11:15 PM
Nick, the "new posts" option would show any thread that was about the Watch, but I think that if a Watch owner came to the forum and looked at the forum names it's not very clear that there is anywhere to ask a Watch question, or read what others have to say about how things work. For a new visitor, EVERY post is a "new" post! And I'm not sure that putting an area in the Apple TV forum is that good an idea either. The two have almost nothing in common.

The AW2, with watchOS 3.1 is a pretty amazing device and should eventually gain more traction as people who have it talk about it and others begin to consider getting one. Yes, I'm enthusiastic about it because it's new, but it's also really made some changes in how I do business daily on the same order of magnitude the iPhone changed how I thought about cell phones. I remember thinking "Why do I need an iPhone? My flip phone is perfectly good for calls and my Dell Axim is a great PDA. Why would combining them be a better approach? I want to talk AND use my PDA at the same time! How can I do that on an iPhone?" I remember thinking that it must be a mediocre phone and a mediocre PDA to fit in one package. I resisted getting an iPhone for a long time. My first one was a 4s, as I recall. Now I don't know how I put up with carrying two devices like I did before! I think eventually (and pretty soon), I'll wonder why I stuck with a "regular" watch so long when I have this amazing wrist-computer. Those who don't have an  Watch don't know what it's like to use one, so I don't expect anybody who doesn't have one to identify with me.

While I'm not happy with the status quo (and thus started this thread), I well know that it's not my call. I'll keep looking for a website that really does support the Watch and where there is more traffic. One will come along, I'm certain. I just thought maybe this site would want to take the lead. But maybe enough owners will come out of the woodwork to justify the site owners setting one up eventually. Lisa and I now make 2!

ferrarr
10-25-2016, 11:50 PM
So, in about 10 years, will there be a carOS forum? When will Apple ship appleOS, the one to rule them all?

pigoo3
10-26-2016, 12:25 AM
While I'm not happy with the status quo (and thus started this thread), I well know that it's not my call. I'll keep looking for a website that really does support the Watch and where there is more traffic. One will come along, I'm certain. I just thought maybe this site would want to take the lead. But maybe enough owners will come out of the woodwork to justify the site owners setting one up eventually. Lisa and I now make 2!

I think we are dealing with two things Jake:

1. How well a new member with an Apple Watch question is likely to ask an Apple Watch question or find the appropriate area to post an Apple Watch question.
2. As a new Apple Watch owner...Apple Watch questions you personally have.

Regarding #1. Believe me. We gets lots & lots of new members each day/each week. And whether they know that they've posted in the proper area or not...lots of these folks start their post with the statement..."Hey I'm new here. Not sure if I posted in the correct area. Please move if not in the right area." In other words. A new member probably likes Mac-Forums because of the friendly, supportive, respectful, and welcoming environment. Not about if we have a specific Apple Watch sub-forum.

If they have an Apple Watch question...believe me...they will still post it somewhere.;) And we have indicated where that is (the "Other Hardware & Peripherals" section).:)

Regarding #2. Please post your Apple Watch questions!:) So far I have not seen an Apple Watch question from you (at least not recently). I guarantee...if you post an Apple Watch question...and someone has an answer or opinion...they will reply (regardless if we have a separate Apple Watch sub-forum or not).:)

You're covered man!:) Post & ye shall receive!;)

- Nick

chscag
10-26-2016, 12:26 AM

@Jake:

Here you go. (https://discussions.apple.com/community/watch?q=Apple%20Watch&searchText=Apple%20Watch)

Go right to the horse's mouth..... O:)

KevinJS
10-26-2016, 12:38 AM
I'll answer your call, Jake. If there are established members who want a section for specific hardware, I think it's worth providing. It's great if one of those members is also a moderator, but not strictly necessary since the report button is there and members can request that appropriate threads be made sticky etc.

I have no intention of ever buying an Apple Watch but who knows, if I see enough discussion to pique my interest, I might go for it.

Anyway, just my 2c worth.

MacInWin
10-26-2016, 12:39 AM
Nick, I don't have a question. Having a forum for the Watch seemed logical. If the powers-that-be don't want to do that, that's the end of the discussion. Frankly I was hoping to get some of the lurkers with  Watches to chime in so that perhaps it would happen. I guess not.

This site can lead or follow. The challenge with following is that if you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes. :)

lclev
10-26-2016, 10:59 AM
As I stated earlier - when I have a question or just want to see what others are saying about the Watch I head to the MacRumors Watch forum where there is a well marked forum category for it. We may not have a large enough number of members on this forum that have a Watch. Maybe we do and a separate forum category for the Watch would bring questions or ideas out. I have no way of assessing that.

One thought - when I look at a new forum, I look at what the different forum categories are and that allows me to drill down to exactly what I am looking for. While the Apple Watch is listed in a note under the Other Hardware and Peripherals section, I am not sure that it is obvious to others. Actually I just noticed it when I went to look at the forum (not sure what that says about my powers of observation..... :| )

I still don't have a strong preference one way or another.

Lisa

KevinJS
10-26-2016, 11:07 AM
It's strange. The Apple Watch is supposed to be among the most popular watches in the world, yet I never see anyone wearing one.

On the other hand, Android phones are supposed to be far and away the most popular phones, but nearly everyone I see is using an iPhone.

I almost forget the watch exists until I visit the Apple Store or BestBuy.

pigoo3
10-26-2016, 11:28 AM
If the powers-that-be don't want to do that, that's the end of the discussion.

This site can lead or follow. The challenge with following is that if you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes. :)

I think these are a couple of pretty harsh statements Jake (smiley or no smiley)! We welcome all suggestions...and take them seriously. Don't think it's necessary to make statements like this because a suggestion is not immediately acted on & implemented.

If we had lots of Apple Watch discussion traffic...we would have created an Apple Watch specific area long ago. You yourself have already admitted that Apple watch specific discussion areas (internet forums) are hard to find. Discussion's are not nonexistent because there is no where for the discussions to take place. There are few Apple Watch discussions because either there are not that many folks that own Apple Watches (compared to iPhone's, iPad's, desktops, and notebooks). Or Apple watches are very easy to use...and very few questions are required.:)

Believe me Jake...if someone has an Apple Watch question...they're going to ask it. For starters...Mac-Forums has PLENTY of existing members who are not shy about asking questions. If they had an Apple watch question...they would post it!:) Not having a dedicated Apple Watch area is not going to stop the majority of folks from posting an Apple Watch question's. If we had lots of Apple watch discussions...and they were spread out amongst the other sub-forum areas. Then it would totally make sense to create an Apple Watch area to organize those discussions.

Many times the main reason to create new sub-forum areas is when there already exists a plethora of discussion's on a single topic spread out amoung the other topic areas....and new discussions on that topic continue to grow. I've already mentioned that I did an analysis of Apple Watch discussions beween June & August 2016...and came up with approximately 5-6 threads. And sometimes those threads were not 100% Apple Watch related. I could extend that analysis period from June to October 2016...and that thread count would not increase much.

We need increased discussion traffic to justify a new forum area.

Please keep the suggestions coming. We welcome them.:)

- Nick

MacInWin
10-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Nick, I didn't mean the statements to be harsh. The first was meant to be supportive of the site owners and powers that make the decisions. If they decide not to have a forum, that really is the end. I'm just a visitor here, not an owner or even a worker.

The second was meant to be light, not harsh. Just an observation about how life is.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm done with this topic.

pigoo3
10-26-2016, 06:07 PM
...I didn't mean the statements to be harsh. The first was meant to be supportive of the site owners and powers that make the decisions.

The second was meant to be light, not harsh. Just an observation about how life is.

Good deal Jake. As sometimes happens...the intention of post is "lost in the translation" of the text based medium of internet forums.:)

- Nick