PDA

View Full Version : PPTP VPN no longer allowed in iOS10 or macOS Sierra

M_Six
10-01-2016, 03:18 PM
As the thread title says, Apple has killed PPTP connections from their updated operating systems. I updated to Sierra on my laptop and then wondered why my VPN connection to a company I work with was gone. Some quick research shows that Apple has squashed it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206844

I don't recall seeing this in the "What's New in macOS Sierra" or iOS pages. This is going to catch some folks by surprise, I think. I understand Apple's reasoning, but they should have left an "opt-in" option under advanced setting or something so folks who didn't know about this change aren't left out in the cold. Simply saying "Well, your company shouldn't be using PPTP" doesn't help much when the user has no control over which VPN protocol a company uses.

chscag
10-01-2016, 03:36 PM
I can understand where you're coming from, however, it's been known for quite some time that using a PPTP VPN has flaws and is not secure. I'm sure your company IT must be aware of that. Even the Wiki describes it as obsolete and not secure. LINK (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Tunneling_Protocol)

As far as not seeing it in "What's New for Sierra", it's probably something that Apple decided to deal with on the security side only.

M_Six
10-01-2016, 04:04 PM
Most major companies and organizations moved away from PPTP ages ago. But I suspect Mom-and-Pop firms and even folks who want to VPN to their home systems may still be using PPTP and aren't terribly concerned with someone sniffing their traffic. They just want access to home systems or whatever. These are the folks who are in for a surprise after upgrading. If they're using older routers that don't support L2TP/IPsec, that'll mean a hardware upgrade as well.

M_Six
10-02-2016, 02:21 AM
I set up L2TP/IPsec on my macOS Sierra server today. Piece-o'-cake. Now I have a secure VPN (hopefully) into my home network.

harryb2448
10-02-2016, 05:01 AM
Good work. PPTP was insecure when Microsoft set it up for Windows 95!!

chscag
10-02-2016, 12:11 PM
I set up L2TP/IPsec on my macOS Sierra server today. Piece-o'-cake. Now I have a secure VPN (hopefully) into my home network.

Nice one! Thanks for letting us know. :)