iOS - ?

Reaction score
Although I've been using a Mac since 2007, minus a year when I didn't have a working one, I'm still not up on the lingo. I work off a right brain, not a left one but still need my Mac for every day stuff. So, what does iOS mean? and what does it have to do with converting a movie from a MOV status to say an AVI one?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, what does iOS mean? and what does it have to do with converting a movie from a MOV status to say an AVI one?

Nothing really (or directly). Converting a movie from one format to another is something usually done with an app.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
…still need my Mac for every day stuff. So, what does iOS mean?

I don't know what Mac or OS X version you're using, but most recent one's allow you to right-click (Control-click) on a word(s) and select the "Lookup…" option that the builtin Dictionary will normally supply.

For other stuff, a google search will be your friend and it often helps to precede the work or phrase with "What is xxx" and enter what you want in place of the xxxs.

And for converting stuff etc., the OS (Operating System) may depend on whether the app (Application) used is supported or even contains the feature you want and even later "new & improved" apps may have even had some "features" that used to work removed.

I hope this helps a bit.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
iOS is the operating system that runs on iPhones, iPads and iPods (hence the "i" in iOS). OS X is the operating system that runs on a Mac desktop or notebook, though it will now be known as macOS for clarity.

iOS = iDevices
macOS = Macs

Neither one has much to do with converting video. For that, you'd need to process it through conversion software of some kind. What is it are you trying to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
MOV and AVI are nothing to do with any "status" of a movie. They are file extensions. They are automatically generated by the software that was used to create them, and exist to instruct your computer which software to use to play them.

Quicktime is generally the software used to play .MOV files. They are the native files created by the iPhone and iPad.

I suggest using VLC for playing movies. So long as you keep it more or less up to date, it will play just about any movie, without you having to bother looking for codecs. (Codecs are software patches which allow a program to play files which are not native to it.) You also won't have to worry about converting files from one type to another.

You can download VLC free from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

There is a version available from the Apple App Store for mobile devices, but I can't vouch for it since I've never used the current version.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well I think that covers the definitions part but I still don't know what it is you are trying to do. If for example you have a .mov file and you want to convert it to AVI you will need a third party application.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So can we assume you want to convert this format to AVI? Or do you just want a way to view these files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So can we assume you want to convert this format to AVI? Or do you just want a way to view these files?

A good question and an answer would help if the OP is still abound and about.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.