PDA

View Full Version : Fake e-mails: How to stop?

toMACsh
09-06-2016, 01:53 PM
I'm being "baited" by someone spoofing e-mail from a legit Contact, but the last part of the address is something different. I use a web-based e-mail. To stop this, do I need to change my password? Anything else? Do I need to alert the person whose name is being used?

ferrarr
09-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Keep marking them as junk/trash/spam, your email provider may also want to know about these emails.

IWT
09-06-2016, 05:43 PM
@toMACsh

This is absolutely dreadful and I sympathise with you.

What Bob, above, has advised will work at Mac level. And I agree that your ISP needs to be informed and participate in blocking this individual.

If it were me, I'd change my password although I admit that, strictly speaking, this has not actually been compromised.

And I would inform the person whose name is being used. Not only for your sake, but to assist that person to ensure that they take what steps they can to stop their name being hijacked.

As the technical side of these things is outwith my expertise, I can only offer sympathy what I have said above.

Ian

Rod Sprague
09-07-2016, 02:12 AM
Can you expand on, "a legit Contact, but the last part of the address is something different." Forgive me but I don't understand what you mean by "last part"?

toMACsh
09-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Can you expand on, "a legit Contact, but the last part of the address is something different." Forgive me but I don't understand what you mean by "last part"?

last part = to the right of the "@"

The first part ( to the left of the @ ) is a name in my contacts. It happens to be in all caps, and that is also replicated.

IWT
09-07-2016, 02:08 PM
@toMACsh

I've been doing a bit of reading. The article I've Linked, I concede, deals with a different aspect of an email problem; but it specifically discusses how to remove an unwanted/unexpected email address that appears in the "To" field and could easily apply to one such received email.

Just a thought. Might stop it coming back??

http://www.macworld.com/article/3113076/software-productivity/a-mysterious-stranger-appears-in-mail-s-to-field.html?token=%23tk.MCW_nlt_mw_macweek_html_201 6-09-07&idg_eid=a489f3449f1b948909e965f16a643af2&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MacWeek%202016-09-07&utm_term=mw_macweek_html#tk.MW_nlt_mw_macweek_html _2016-09-07

Ian

Rod Sprague
09-07-2016, 09:33 PM
OK I see, these "spoof" emails are coming from a name (which is in your contacts) but from a different email provider. ie BOBSMITH@gmail.com as apposed to BOBSMITH@hotmail.com. Essentially these are different entities and you can block senders at specific providers easily enough eg.
For gmail;

Open the email.
At the top right of the email, click the down arrow.
Click Block [sender].

Different provider have slightly different ways of doing this but most are similar to this.
I would think that the real question is why is this person sending emails to you and do they have access to the real BOBSMITH's contacts list. If so you may not be the only one receiving "spoof" emails and they should be made aware of this.

toMACsh
09-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll take action the next time I get one of these "spoof" messages.

digitalbulls
12-09-2016, 02:01 AM
Blogs, media sites, and companies that you give your email often use it in ways you wouldn’t expect or want, often leading to annoying spam in your inbox.

Since most people deal with this issue on a daily basis, here are 5 ways you can stop spam email in its tracks…

1. Create a temporary email address

One of the simplest measures that you can take to stop spam in your inbox is create a temporary email address (also called a fake, disposable, or alias email address).

Through our survey, we found that 96% of people sign up for online accounts with their real, primary email account. Of this same group, we found that on average users create 3.61 “junk email accounts” used to catch spam.

Save the hassle of logging in! Fake email addresses let you: receive a free email address (and associated inbox) for a limited amount of time [most helpful when clicking a link for verification/confirmation purposes], thus allowing you to click the verification/confirmation link to gain access to the applicable website and you never have to return or log in to the disposable email address again. Our MaskMe add-on lets you create unlimited disposable email addresses right while you browse, so it’s super easy.

2. Encrypt a current email address

Another way to protect your email privacy is to use Thunderbird with Enigmail; Mac Mail with GPGTools; Outlook with GPG4Win. These tools allow you to encrypt a current email address and offer a suite of security enhancements to ensure that your data is being protected. Warning: these tools require some tech-savvy and can be tough to figure out.

3. Use a secure email provider

There are a number of email providers that have a model for providing top-notch security for free or for a nominal fee. The following tools provide a secure VPN for all internet browsing, a USB-key necessary email entry, and free email protection for your smartphone (iOS or Android) respectively: Unspyable, Countermail, and Shazzle.

4. Filter your spam (and keep your favorite inbox)

If you are one of the many email users who doesn’t enjoy having a full inbox, especially one chock full of spam, you can create various filters to put particular emails into different inboxes. In our survey, 39% of people say they set up filters in their email to automatically delete and stop spam.

This technique is not only helpful for keeping spam out, but also keeping track of important emails (like bills). Most times, the ability to create filters is located in your email client’s “settings” menu, and the filters can be created based on specific words, addresses, subject lines, groups of people, and many other criteria. This is a nice stop gap solution to stop spam from getting to your inbox.

5. Unsubscribe – we know it’s tedious

Even if the techniques above seem like too much effort, at the very least, unsubscribe from the emails that simply stuff your inbox. Most marketing emails that you find are just sent far too frequently will have an option at the bottom saying something like “Unsubscribe” or “Remove Me.”

Clicking “Unsubscribe” usually takes you to an external website that lets you unsubscribe from receiving any further email from that particular sender. Make sure you click the option that completely removes you and doesn’t just limit emails.

Unsubscribing is one of the easiest ways to cut down the amount of spam entering your inbox on a daily basis, and over half of those we surveyed–51%–report unsubscribing to deal with spam.

toMACsh
12-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Great tips!
I have a "personal" address for friends and family, and a "commercial" address for dealing with businesses, charities, etc., and a third "backup" address for secrecy (my spouse does not know the password - great when buying gifts online).

harryb2448
12-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Avoid the unsubscribe. Only tells 'em they his a jackpot!

chscag
12-09-2016, 04:04 PM
I agree with Harry. Don't use the "unsubscribe" with spammers as it only encourages them to send you more junk. You can use "unsubscribe" from legitimate ads or those that you have done business with in the past.

toMACsh
12-11-2016, 10:16 AM
oops! didn't read the whole post, but to be pedantic...

Some might consider all electronic "junk mail" to be spam, thus even the legitimate businesses who will honor an unsubscribe request would be spammers too.

chscag
12-11-2016, 04:05 PM
Doing business with a legitimate reseller has its ups and downs. What usually happens is that you wind up on that particular business' advertising list and lists which he sells to other businesses. Unsubscribing from one list doesn't mean you will be unsubscribed from the other "tag alongs".