• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Possible to loop videos previewed in quick look?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Hi guys,

Is it at all possible to have the videos you preview using finder's quick look feature loop? I'm putting together a presentation that includes looping videos and I'd prefer to just be able to quickly see if they loop seamlessly rather than have to open quicktime and turn on looping every time. It'd save a ton of time!

I've researched this for a while and I don't think it's possible but I figured I'd ask anyway just in case.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm using OSX Yosimite.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I can't think of a direct way to do that with QuickLook. When I tried it QuickLook stops at the end of the video. Here are two ways I can think of that might solve your problem if I am not misunderstanding something.

The QuickLook method:
1. Find the video you want to loop and place it in a folder. Select a convenient place such as the Desktop.
2. Select the video and press Command + C to make a copy.
3. Press Command+V to paste another copy into the folder. The Finder will ask what to do with the copy. Tell it to keep both

Select the first video and start QuickLook as usual. When you reach the end of a clip use the arrow keys to move to the second video to "flip" to the second video. You can use the arrow keys to keep flipping among the two videos until you have the number of loops that you need.

The QuickTime Pro X Method (assumes you know how many loops are needed)

1. Create a folder and move the desired video into the folder.
2. Open the file you want to loop in QuickTime Pro X and go to the end of the file.
3. Choose Edit>Add Clip to End and select the video.
4. Scroll to the end of the clip and repeat step 4.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 till you have enough loops then save the final file with a new name.

When you are ready to start the loop play the new video.

Last edited:
OP
Adric
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Thanks for the effort Sly! Unfortunately, it'd be quicker to just open the files I'm interested in viewing in quicktime and loop it there. I was hoping that there was some hidden miracle terminal command that would set quick look to loop media or something! I scoured the internet for a few hours and there are numerous threads here and there with people asking the same thing but no one has an answer (except one but it didn't work for me or anyone else).

The presentation itself will have the videos loop indefinitely until I select the next slide which is no problem but the issue is I have hundreds of potential 3 or 4 second stock video file candidates to use in the presentation and I need to narrow down what I actually use to like 3 or 4 videos! Opening video after video in quicktime and turning on "loop" gets old after the 50th time lol

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I see what you mean about it being time consuming. Both of the methods I outlined are quick if you only have a few videos. Honestly I'd narrow down the number of clips before looping anything. If all of the files are in a folder QuickLook will cycle through those and show you each video as you use the arrow keys to move through the folder.

I'm surprised there isn't a script to do something similar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.