PDA

View Full Version : Add photos fron iMac to iPad without syncing/deleting

Sawday
09-01-2016, 06:09 AM
This is proving sooooo frustrating. I would like to copy some photos (143 to be precise) from a folder on my iMac to an iPad WITHOUT deleting the photos that are already on the pad. To me that is a simple request but Apple perversely seems to think that I want to delete all the existing photos on the iPad as this is what iTunes will do.

Surely there must be a way to achieve this?

ferrarr
09-01-2016, 07:37 AM
If you have a backup of your iPad, why not try it? I don't believe it will actually delete the pictures, even though iTunes tells you with the prompt. I noticed that when I change some sync setting for my iPad Pro, it does not delete the files if they are still selected to sync.

Sawday
09-01-2016, 08:35 AM
My pictures but not my iPad. Don't want to mess with back up etc. Can email them in small batches but that's archaic. Can't understand why Apple make if so difficult - my sister copied the same photos onto her Galaxy tab without issue.

badshoehabit
09-01-2016, 08:44 AM
Have you tried AirDrop?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203106

IWT
09-01-2016, 09:15 AM
@Sawday

I've run an experiment.

I have about 20 photos on my iPad. I was prepared to lose them if needs be.

I exported 10 pictures from Photos to a Folder on my Desktop.

Opened iTunes, clicked on iPad icon, then on Photos in the list, then Sync. Asked to sync the contests of my Desktop Folder, copying all 10 pictures therein to my iPad.

Apply.

All 10 pictures copied to iPad.

All original photos on iPad UNCHANGED.

Hope that might reassure you.

Ian

ferrarr
09-01-2016, 09:41 AM
@Sawday

I've run an experiment.

I have about 20 photos on my iPad. I was prepared to lose them if needs be.

I exported 10 pictures from Photos to a Folder on my Desktop.

Opened iTunes, clicked on iPad icon, then on Photos in the list, then Sync. Asked to sync the contests of my Desktop Folder, copying all 10 pictures therein to my iPad.

Apply.

All 10 pictures copied to iPad.

All original photos on iPad UNCHANGED.

Hope that might reassure you.

Ian

What happens if you delete that folder and then sync again?

ferrarr
09-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Are you saying you don't have a backup of your iPad? The iPad backup only contains the Data on the iPad, not the files on the iPad.

RE: My pictures but not my iPad. Don't want to mess with back up etc.

IWT
09-01-2016, 11:12 AM
What happens if you delete that folder and then sync again?

Good question.

I deleted Desktop Folder of pictures.

Connected iPad to iTunes.

Clicked on photos. **Unchecked Sync Photos**

Small window opened saying:

"iTunes will no longer sync photos to the iPad (myname). Do you want to keep or remove photos previously synced to your iPad?"

I chose "Keep".

Hit Apply. Normal sync. Copied Desktop pictures and original photos all remain.

Disconnected iPad.

Reconnected iPad. Selected Photos to sync. It was like starting all over again. Could choose source etc as before.

Key point is the ** ** above.

Ian

IWT
09-01-2016, 11:19 AM
To add to above:

This Link from Apple spells it out. On first glance it appears that stopping sync will remove photos - well it will unless (as it says there) you *Uncheck the Sync Photos* and then choose "Keep" or "Remove" according to preference.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201313

Ian

RadDave
09-01-2016, 12:29 PM
Hello Sawday - I've abandoned trying to use Apple's photo transfer options in iTunes - there are numerous other better choices. About a year ago, I put a post (check #6) in the iPad Forums (http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/looking-for-a-simple-photo-uploader.128769/#post-1106210) that outlined a number of 'wireless' options involving apps or wireless devices for photo transfer - take a look.

But let me just mention several third-party considerations which are shown below, i.e. Photo Transfer & PhotoSync - both require apps on your iDevice and on your computer - try them and see which one you prefer? Good luck and let us know your results. Dave :)

Sawday
09-01-2016, 12:33 PM
It does. Thank you.

Sawday
09-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Are you saying you don't have a backup of your iPad? [/COLOR]

No I didn't say that. I have a back up of MY ipads on MY iMac. Post wasn't about MY iPad but another person's. They have a back up of THEIR iPad. It just happens to be over 200 miles away (The back up that is, not their iPad)

KevinJS
09-01-2016, 01:11 PM
@RadDave. That's a great post, Dave. Very useful info.

RadDave
09-01-2016, 01:19 PM
@RadDave. That's a great post, Dave. Very useful info.

Thanks Kevin - :) Dave

pm-r
09-01-2016, 06:33 PM
For this type of moving, I'll again mention both iMazing and iExplorer, either available via https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27830/imazing

- Patrick
======

Sawday
09-01-2016, 06:37 PM
@RadDave Thanks for the heads up. Have downloaded both of these and look forward to trying them out.

RadDave
09-01-2016, 07:26 PM
@RadDave Thanks for the heads up. Have downloaded both of these and look forward to trying them out.

No problem at all - you're welcomed! :) Hope that one or both work for you. Dave