PDA

View Full Version : Oops, there goes the keyboard

Backlighting
08-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Spilled some water on the keyboard. Time to get another one. This is the second time I've ruined one. I swear, no more bottles of water on the desk.:Angry:

KevinJS
08-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Hopefully, a standalone keyboard and not one attached to a laptop?

Backlighting
08-13-2016, 07:42 PM
Yeah, it was a standalone for my Mac Mini.

lclev
08-13-2016, 07:52 PM
That is why I use cups with closable tops. I am not safe with open liquids nor will I remember to put the cap back on a bottle. But I have trained myself to close the lid on my thermos cups. ;D

Lisa

chscag
08-13-2016, 07:57 PM

LOL, maybe you might remember the old IBM and Compaq keyboards that were heavy and went "clack" "clack" when you typed? One way to clean them was to put them in your dishwasher at home and run them through a warm water cycle with some detergent. And afterward let them air dry for several days. Worked great and never ruined a keyboard that way. Of course you wouldn't dare put an Apple keyboard or any others through a dishwasher nowadays. :)

KevinJS
08-13-2016, 08:04 PM
LOL, maybe you might remember the old IBM and Compaq keyboards that were heavy and went "clack" "clack" when you typed? One way to clean them was to put them in your dishwasher at home and run them through a warm water cycle with some detergent. And afterward let them air dry for several days. Worked great and never ruined a keyboard that way. Of course you wouldn't dare put an Apple keyboard or any others through a dishwasher nowadays. :)

And with that…

http://www.snotr.com/video/8965/So_papa_how_do_you_like_the_iPad_we_got_you

Backlighting
08-13-2016, 08:08 PM
I remember those. I started my journey with computers using DOS and then Windows 3.1 so many yrs ago.

pigoo3
08-13-2016, 09:10 PM
Wayyy lucky this wasn't a notebook computer. Super big difference in replacement cost!!;)

- Nick

toMACsh
08-14-2016, 08:39 AM
That is why I use cups with closable tops.

Water bottle. Top screws on. Sip through a plastic "straw". Tip flips up; push it down when not taking a drink. Time to recover if it falls over. Will not leak right away. Even has a "handle' to tote it around with one or two fingers.

Rod Sprague
08-14-2016, 11:05 AM
It is possible to get keyboard covers you know. The new silicon ones are hardly noticeable once you get used to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

nickyr
08-14-2016, 12:45 PM
About 10 years ago I was sat opposite a young lady in work who was always dropping stuff and knocking things over.

She went through 3 (yes three) keyboards in one day once. Each one the victim of spilled diet coke!

pm-r
08-14-2016, 11:21 PM
About 10 years ago I was sat opposite a young lady in work who was always dropping stuff and knocking things over.

She went through 3 (yes three) keyboards in one day once. Each one the victim of spilled diet coke!

How does one spell Super Klutz and were any ITs available that weren't brain dead???

I guess the company had lots of spare/surplus cash and didn't give a damn… I wonder how they voted in their recent Brexit vote… :\

nickyr
08-15-2016, 04:27 AM
It was a local government office.

She broke loads of other stuff too but otherwise was an excellent employee.

But we all winced when she announced that she'd passed (at the 6th attempt!) her driving test!

RadDave
08-15-2016, 09:59 AM
And with that…

http://www.snotr.com/video/8965/So_papa_how_do_you_like_the_iPad_we_got_you

Kevin - hilarious! :Cool: Have you posted the link in the iPad Forums? Dave :)

ferrarr
08-15-2016, 11:25 AM
It is possible to get keyboard covers you know. The new silicon ones are hardly noticeable once you get used to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

I got one for my 2011 MBP a few weeks after I purchased it. It saved me a few times.

Edvard
08-15-2016, 11:49 AM
I sympathize! :\

KevinJS
08-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Kevin - hilarious! :Cool: Have you posted the link in the iPad Forums? Dave :)

I don't think so Dave. I saw this a long time ago so it's possible. I may well have seen it there originally.