Os X Won't Boot or Show as a Boot Option

Reaction score
Dear MacForum-ers!

I am extremely grateful that I found this community! This is my very first post so please excuse me that I am not as experienced as you might expect an average user to be :)

Model:
I am having Mac Air mid 2013 with Bootcamp (OS X El Capitan and Windows 7).

Story:
It all started when I accidentally converted the whole disk to dynamic using partition tool in Windows 7. Worst mistake of the month. Then neither Windows or Mac would boot up. I booted up to USB stick using Hirens Boot CD 16's live Windows 8, luckily the keyboard and mouse drivers were working so I could convert the disks back to basic using some partitioning tool (probably AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager, unsure because I've tried many and it took hours :)). After that, Windows 7 would boot up normally, but the Apple logo is still gone when starting Mac and neither the OS X. When I press Option key, I only see Windows as a boot option.

The disk with OS X is recognized by Paragon Partition Manager 14 as having Apple HFS system, and the data on it appears to be okay (I've installed HFS+ driver on Windows to verify them).

What I tried so far:
search for similar topics... found some but nothing that would help me
I used EasyBCD on windows and creating Mac OS boot options, but it fails (probably it's not possible that way?).
I tried to install rEFInd from Windows by simply copying refind folder to both EFI and refind folder on mac disk and windows disk, it would still load using the default boot manager and only show windows.
I also tried to reset the PRAM.

If any good soul is willing to help I would extremely appreciate it, because funny enough the Mac needs to function for my study programs two weeks from now :( :)

Sincerely,
Rhazor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

The way to go was to print and read BootCamp instructions alas. You must make the Partition using BootCamp, no windows ways, and it must be a single partition Mac formatted OS Extended (Journald) period. My guess is you will need to erase and format the hard drive Mac OS Extended, and do a clean install of OS X.11.6 and then use BootCamp to partition and do a Windows 7 install. Remember this is not Windows World so stop using all those Windows applications. Have a read of this as BootCamp is quite simple:-

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205016

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Try this and let us know: Boot your Mac while holding down the command and r keys as soon as you hear the Bong sound. You should be able to get into OS X recovery mode that way unless that partition was wiped.

OP
R
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

The way to go was to print and read BootCamp instructions alas. You must make the Partition using BootCamp, no windows ways, and it must be a single partition Mac formatted OS Extended (Journald) period. My guess is you will need to erase and format the hard drive Mac OS Extended, and do a clean install of OS X.11.6 and then use BootCamp to partition and do a Windows 7 install. Remember this is not Windows World so stop using all those Windows applications. Have a read of this as BootCamp is quite simple:-

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205016
Thank you. I did at the beginning, I was using bootcamp for over two years now, but for a few days ago I´ve noticed there´s a unallocated space on a disk so I´ve got this great idea of expanding bootcamp partition, and that way I got that message that coverted disks.

Welcome to our forums.

Try this and let us know: Boot your Mac while holding down the command and r keys as soon as you hear the Bong sound. You should be able to get into OS X recovery mode that way unless that partition was wiped.
I am getting into the Internet Recovery.

OP
R
Reaction score
I got into the Internet Recovery, it showed that the Mac OS disk partition is of FAT 16 type. When I clicked on repair disk button (or similar), it failed with the message:
invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block: 000000

I googled and I found following tool to resolve this problem:
https://launchpad.net/gpt-surgeon/+download

But since it is designed to be run on Mac OS, it won`t list partitions when run on Windows. It says "Permission Denied". Is here any python programmer who could fix this script ? :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I doubt it. By the time someone who could write the script reads this, writes a script that might fix the problem, and sends it to you the OS X partition could have been erased and restored. Especially if you have a backup.

If the info you're seeing is correct the system is seeing that partition as being in a format that hasn't been used consistently on even Windows machines in years.

OP
R
Reaction score
Allright so after I tried to rewrite the script and run from live linux usb and got no results, I decided to wipe the entire disk and start from scratch. I needed to install OS X in VMWare in order to make a bootable OS X USB key. Now I have dualboot Windows 10 and OS X. Thanks for support anyways :)
SUMMARY: windows is evil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Anyways that was suggested in post #2. I always believe if you must run Windows, get a cheap Dell Latitude. Windows in not evil, just not designed to run of the Mac setup despite BootCamp. Ovcer the year there are literally thousands and thousands of problems running BootCamp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.