PDA

View Full Version : I have a wonky folder, a saved AVCHD card, that won't copy and gives me Error Code -3

oxband
08-02-2016, 04:29 PM
I copied an AVCHD card to my backup hard drive. I renamed the folder. I am trying to backup the card but it doesn't complete the operation. i get the error message "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “BDMV” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)." I tried duplicating the folder and I got the same error message.

I opened the folder in FCP X to import the files, and it takes a while to open (hello spinning wheel!) but it eventually does and I could potentially import that way.

Any idea how I can backup the folder? I can't think of any fix.

KevinJS
08-02-2016, 09:27 PM
Stab in the dark here, but it appears that the file naming convention in use for these files is the old 8.3 system, due to patents held by MS for long file names when using the FAT file system.

Could it be that your renaming has exceeded the allowed 8 characters, or introduced a character disallowed by the file system?

oxband
08-03-2016, 01:34 AM
Stab in the dark here, but it appears that the file naming convention in use for these files is the old 8.3 system, due to patents held by MS for long file names when using the FAT file system.

Could it be that your renaming has exceeded the allowed 8 characters, or introduced a character disallowed by the file system?

The file name isn't large. I didn't play with its structure. Any other ideas?

KevinJS
08-03-2016, 02:16 AM
I'm not keen on linking to other sites, but this appears to give a solution to your problem. It could be worth taking a look.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Camcorders/How-to-transfer-videos-to-an-Apple-Macintosh-computer/m-p/33457/highlight/true#M875