PDA

View Full Version : Gopro Hero 4 clips not played fluently....

viducce
07-26-2016, 05:19 AM
Hi I own a dated Macbook Pro early 2008 model upgraded with a 512GB SSD and 6GB RAM, not upgraded: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 M

Recently I bought a Hero 4 Black.

I thought that my Mac would be still able to handle editing, since I record mostly in 1080 HD 60FPS, not 4K yet.

To my surprise, if I choose to playback my edited clips they are only shown in a hopping from frame to frame style,
which you would expect if your machine has insufficient resources...

For editing I use imovie and Final Cut Pro X

Another damper is that it appears that I simply can't upload anything onto YouTube by the share button thru any of them...

Could it be a Hardware issue that my Mac is really to old, or maybe there is another problem that i can't grasp.

Thanks and cheers,

Chris

ferrarr
07-26-2016, 08:40 AM
Most likely yes, it is an 8 year old machine. What OS X is it currently running?

viducce
07-26-2016, 09:09 AM
Currently running El Capitan with no issues...
Just noticed, when it's running on battery the clips run smoothly, that's strange...

joema
07-26-2016, 09:10 PM
Hi I own a dated Macbook Pro early 2008 model upgraded with a 512GB SSD and 6GB RAM, not upgraded: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 M

Recently I bought a Hero 4 Black.

I thought that my Mac would be still able to handle editing, since I record mostly in 1080 HD 60FPS, not 4K yet.

To my surprise, if I choose to playback my edited clips they are only shown in a hopping from frame to frame style,
which you would expect if your machine has insufficient resources...

For editing I use imovie and Final Cut Pro X...

GoPro material is highly compressed and can be sluggish to edit on older machines, even if 1080p and if using FCPX. 4k can be difficult to edit even on a top-spec 2015 iMac.

Fortunately FCPX has built-in proxy capability so you can generate proxy files which enables editing highly compressed video on older machines. See the various documentation, help files and tutorials about how to use this.