• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Syncing Security Camera Video to Audio

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some video from one of my security cameras the 4th of July of my neighbor setting off major fireworks right next to my driveway. Problem is, when the video was exported from my Swann DVR as an .avi file the audio played at normal speed but the video played back at about 3x normal speed (see here):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wadob3dz9pj8eo1/AAD5ZooL3AQos74oWjhqaXJQa?dl=0

I imported the video into iMovie and muted the audio and set the playback speed at 30% (I can't set a number with anything after the decimal). I also imported a track of just the audio, but the timing still slightly off.

Anyone have any ideas how to sync the two? I have iMovie 10.1.1. I am actually in need of getting this done quickly…if anyone could do it I could you PayPal you something. I will be using iMovie more in the future, and was enjoying learning how to use it. But I need to get this done quickly.

Anyway, if anyone has a solution please let me know.

Thanks,
Jeff-

==========================
Times of 17 Missile Launches over our house….
21:07:54
21:08:46
21:09:38
21:11:22
21:12:32
21:13:31
21:14:16
21:16:05
21:16:47
21:17:45
21:18:46
21:19:21
21:20:01
21:20:39
21:21:27
21:22:06
21:24:05

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Instead of trying to slow the video to "1/3", why not speed the audio up to 3x? Then slow the WHOLE THING down to 33% which would be really close to real-time and both channels should be sync'ed still.

OP
J
Reaction score
Humm. Maybe. But maybe I can find an audio editor to let me adjust speed of audio to more closely match the video.

j

OP
J
Reaction score
I downloaded WavePad, looks impressive. Trying to get up to speed using it. But if anyone else wants to try to sync the audio and video... hehe

Jeff-

OP
J
Reaction score
Just an update, I saw in iMovie where I think you can select part of a clip and change just the speed of that part? But I couldn't get it to work. Was up until 4AM the other night importing clip samples that matched the audio. A bit of work, but for what I needed was Ok. J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.