Phone email messages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Maverick 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB Memory
What could cause my iPhone to download old messages on each mail session? My phone downloads messages that were read and deleted a month or more ago. My iPad and MacBook Pro are on the same email service and they do not download the old messages, only my phone does this. It is an iPhone 6S.
Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure your email account is IMAP and not POP. Having a POP account with numerous devices being able to access mail can be a problem. (You didn't tell us anything about who your ISP is or what kind of account you have...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Agreed. Check the access method being used, and if it's POP, change to IMAP if you can. And, verify that ALL devices are using IMAP if your account supports it. If it doesn't -seem- like it will work, check with the provider and/or look at the options through a web browser accessing the mail. Services like Gmail allow IMAP access, but you sometimes have to enable it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.