PDA

View Full Version : Affinity Photo

curlyimac
07-18-2016, 07:39 AM
I am thinking now with Sierra coming that it's time to move from Aperture.
Anyone happy with Affinity photo?
I know it is not a photo manager (yet).

Or should I just get the Adobe photoshop bundle for $10 a month so I can use lightroom and photoshop. I love Aperture and am sad that Apple killed it.
Shame really. photos is dreadful.

chscag
07-18-2016, 03:33 PM
Affinity Photo has received great reviews from several Mac magazines and many users. I personally don't think you can go wrong with it and in the long haul will be a lot less expensive than subscribing to Lightroom and Photoshop. I believe they have a trial version you can download and test with.

IWT
07-18-2016, 06:08 PM
@curlymac

Like you, I am a long-time user of Aperture; virtually from when it was first introduced. And, possibly like you, I have treasured my large Aperture Library and feared the day when it was no longer supported. Not only by Apple in respect of updates, but in relation to modern Operating Systems.

I decided to experiment with a number of higher-end products. All of these I purchased because limited trial periods, for me, don't allow enough time to learn the ins and out of the product. Moreover, committing post-retirement pennies to a product forces you to get the best out of them.

In the end, I stuck with Affinity Photo.

Pros: remarkably good value for money (official price $39.99, recently offered at &29.99; not sure the current price).
Fabulous video tutorials.
Excellent support ( I had a lot of silly questions which they answered with due courtesy).
It works with Photos & Aperture as an external editor.

Cons: few, really. Hard work. Lots to study and learn. Still getting there. No loupe feature.

In my view, it lies somewhere above Aperture and below the Adobe products.

This obviously represents a highly personal opinion. But there you have it.

(I have no financial or other interest in Affinity or any company in fact. I purchased all the products I tested).

Ian

IWT
07-19-2016, 12:40 PM
@curlymac

In addition to the above, I came across this linked article from Macworld which looked at 7 alternatives to Photoshop and Aperture. Frankly, some of their suggestions fall way short of Aperture in my opinion, but it might give you a feeling for the options available. I stand by Affinity Photo as I said above.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/best-pro-photo-editing-software-apps-for-mac-3642413/?no1x1&utm_source=Mainline&utm_medium=email&utm_term=image&utm_content=image&utm_campaign=Mainline2406

Ian