PDA

View Full Version : Mac Forums request for password change

Rod Sprague
07-14-2016, 09:03 PM
I certainly don't mind being asked to change my password occasionally but when I follow the instructions i do not expect to be told that the email address that I have entered (by autofill) is not a valid email address. Especially when I have already received a password reset link via that same email address. Took me three tries to get the "Your New Password" email. Phew!:Grimmace:

chscag
07-14-2016, 09:42 PM
Glad you made it OK Rod. Lots of confusion around here last night and today. Hopefully things will settle down as soon as we get all our regulars to reset their password.

pigoo3
07-14-2016, 09:47 PM
The important thing Rod is you're back in action!:)

- Nick

Rod Sprague
07-15-2016, 12:01 AM
Yes hope it goes smoothly for everyone else.

harryb2448
07-15-2016, 12:21 AM
My trouble started Saturday last Rod our real time. I thought at first it may have been related to Sierra but appears general.

Rod Sprague
07-15-2016, 12:33 AM
Can i take it that everybody has been asked to update their password? I guess that could have slowed the response from the servers in my case. Does anybody know how many members there are?

Slydude
07-15-2016, 12:52 AM
The stats at the bottom of our main page report the following: Members 291,358 Active Members 2,318​

dtravis7
07-15-2016, 01:27 AM
Late this afternoon here there was a reported post and when I opened the browser to check it, it rejected my Changed password from 2 days ago. I even copied and pasted it in and still no go. It took me a few tries to get the password change email but its' fine now.

Slydude
07-15-2016, 01:35 AM
I had a similar problem which I initially attributed to my not entering the password correctly in the keychain. Actually had to go so far as to reset the password a second time.

Xenia
07-15-2016, 03:34 AM
Well, this thread 'splains the trouble I've just had for the last 10 minutes or so....:\

bobtomay
07-15-2016, 06:30 AM
FYI: I was able to reset and then change the password ok, but had to reset/change it 3 times before I could log out and have the system accept the new password to log back in.

JIMJFOX
07-15-2016, 12:00 PM
I certainly don't mind being asked to change my password occasionally but when I follow the instructions i do not expect to be told that the email address that I have entered (by autofill) is not a valid email address. Especially when I have already received a password reset link via that same email address. Took me three tries to get the "Your New Password" email. Phew!:Grimmace:

I tried 4 times, then gave up and re-registered under this [different] user name; of course I have lost access to my old posts.
S'pose that's the price of progress :)

pigoo3
07-15-2016, 12:12 PM
I tried 4 times, then gave up and re-registered under this [different] user name; of course I have lost access to my old posts.
S'pose that's the price of progress :)

We certainly don't want you to lose access to your account info. Please send me a PM with your previous Mac-Forums userid…and we will get things straightened out as soon as possible.

Thanks,

- Nick

McBie
07-15-2016, 03:40 PM
Just changed my password following the guidelines provided and all is well.
I will keep the temporary password for a couple of days and then change it ( or at least ask 1Password to generate a new one :-) )

Cheers ... McBie

cwa107
07-15-2016, 04:15 PM
My password change went swimmingly. Hopefully that means our overlords at Penton have gotten the forum mechanics straightened out.

chscag
07-15-2016, 08:14 PM
Good to hear Chris. I've been answering and changing folks' email addresses in the data base all day. Seems we have many folks who have had an email change of address since they joined.

Rod Sprague
07-15-2016, 09:55 PM
Well, this thread 'splains the trouble I've just had for the last 10 minutes or so....:\

And on your 4th post too. Well, welcome Xenia, to these forums if you haven't been welcomed already, rest assured this doesn't happen very often, glad you got through eventually.

Rod Sprague
07-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Always nice to know, "it's not just me". The Invalid Email Address thing was a clue to me, after all I had already been sent a "Your new password..." email to that very same address. Just had to wait a while and try again.

Slydude
07-15-2016, 10:55 PM
Well, this thread 'plains the trouble I've just had for the last 10 minutes or so....:\
Welcome aboard. We don't normally make things this difficult on new members.:D

IWT
07-16-2016, 05:20 AM
One thing that is still awaited is the email notification when a thread you have posted to has had further posts. I've had none since the "trouble" despite contributing to about half a dozen threads since then.

This is not a complaint. I understand how terribly busy the Admins and Mods must be. It is for feedback info only.

Ian

Haloswiza
07-16-2016, 07:43 AM
I had to re-register as a new member before I could get in. I have sent my previous username (MacGandalf) to one of the moderating team to see if anything can be done to restore things or stay with my 'new' identity.

pigoo3
07-16-2016, 09:48 AM
I had to re-register as a new member before I could get in. I have sent my previous username (MacGandalf) to one of the moderating team to see if anything can be done to restore things or stay with my 'new' identity.

Taken care of.

- Nick

RavingMac
07-16-2016, 10:09 AM
I had issues too, (mostly my own fault) but all good now.

MacGandalf
07-16-2016, 10:25 AM
Hopefully fixed. Will log out and and see if I get back in ......................................... hoorah!! Thank you pigoo3, much obliged.

pigoo3
07-16-2016, 10:38 AM
Hopefully fixed. Will log out and and see if I get back in ......................................... hoorah!! Thank you pigoo3, much obliged.

You're very welcome Hal! Thanks for your patience while we got you back in action.:)

- Nick

PGB1
07-16-2016, 10:51 AM
I followed the instructions & everything went well. (Fast, too) Thanks for the smooth transition.
I'll bet you all are really busy with so many password changes.

Here's a question about the process that's not critical- Just a curiosity to learn more of how security on the web works:

I noticed that the address bar in the browser (Safari 9.1.1 & OS X 10.11.5) doesn't have the little padlock icon when I am at the log in or password change pages.
Usually when I have to type in a password or change a password at a site, it is https, so the padlock icon shows.

If I copy the address bar & paste it into Text Edit app so I can see the entire address, it shows as http as opposed to https for both the log in & the password change pages.
(And I sure can't figure out how to show the http or https in the Safari address bar. I have to copy the link to the clipboard & paste it into a Text Edit app to view if it's http or https. Enabling "View - Show Status Bar" doesn't reveal it.)

Am I reading the address bar wrong?

No big deal, just curious how stuff like this all works.

Paul

DianeVan
07-16-2016, 11:45 AM
My password change seemed to go OK yesterday, but when I tried to come back this morning (no boot between) I had to do the whole process again. I hope it sticks this time.

DianeVan
07-16-2016, 11:48 AM
It may be a glitch in the difference between email address (which I have not changed) and login name (also not changed) because it asked me which it was for???? Been through the process twice already - hope this is the end.

Rod Sprague
07-17-2016, 01:55 AM
OK, now I have the same problem on my iPhone. I have used exactly the same password that I used to renew my password on my web browser but neither Safari or the MacForums App will let me login with that password. Now I am getting the "Invalid email address" message again and I have used up all my tries for 15 Min. Come on guys.

chscag
07-17-2016, 02:22 AM
No problem here Rod. I got the same message from the Mac-Forums iOS app when I tried to access with my iPhone. I just entered my new password and got in first time. Make sure you're using the correct user name and password.

Xenia
07-17-2016, 02:29 AM
Thanks Rod & Slydude :Smirk: I'll more time later on to cruise about the fora; I hope. Any time I do come and browse or make the occasional post, everyone is friendly, and I appreciate this.

Rod Sprague
07-17-2016, 04:19 AM
Ah, ha, at last! After changing my password yet again it now works on my iPhone as well. Gee, I hope we dont have to do that again for a while.;)

MacInWin
07-17-2016, 09:04 PM
I've given up on the iPhone and iPad. Tried every password I have ever used here. None worked. I'll stick with my MBP for now.

Rod Sprague
07-17-2016, 11:57 PM
It is possible that some people have misinterpreted the request for user name and put in their email address or vice versa, it's an easy mistake to make and I'm sure I have done it a few times. On some sites your user name is your email address but not on Mac Forums.
I fixed my iOS login problem by going to my account details on MBP and creating another new password, (while logged in with the recently new password) logging out, then back in with the new PW on OSX then logged in on my iPhone with the newly created password and got it first try.

chscag
07-18-2016, 02:38 AM
The log in credentials for the Mac-Forums iOS app are exactly the same as when you log in to the forums with your browser. (User name and password.)

Nighthawk4
07-18-2016, 05:36 AM
I had imagined that I was the only one with the change of email problem. It would appear I was not.

Thanks again for the amazing speed with which the problem was resolved - or at least it seems to be fine at present :)

Incidentally, what is the name of the Forum App for iOS please? The vBulletin app says it is only for vBulletin. Is it Tapatalk?

Nighthawk4
07-18-2016, 07:00 AM
Not finding this Forum on Tapatalk App. However, I have found threads here that say we would never use Tapatalk - and one saying now we are. All of those are very old though :)

IWT
07-18-2016, 08:45 AM
@Nighthawk4

Great to see you back as your old self.

I may be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the Mac-Forums app disappeared at, or soon after, Penton took over from iNet.

My app preceded that change and still works on my iPad.

But for those who never had the app, like you it seems, it is no longer available.

On iOS devices, you would need to use Safari to access the website and then log in from there. Make sure and check the "Remember me" box. Although I have to say this doesn't always work.

Ian

Nighthawk4
07-18-2016, 10:37 AM
That would explain it thanks Ian :)

badshoehabit
07-18-2016, 02:20 PM
Back in after three frustrating days. Thanks to Nick.:)

chscag
07-18-2016, 03:22 PM
That would explain it thanks Ian :)

You can if you wish use TapaTalk to communicate with our forums via your iPhone or iPad. There have been several revisions to TapaTalk in the last 6 months. We are hoping to get the Mac-Forums iOS app listed once more in the iTunes App store. However, as Ian pointed out, we have new owners of the forums and do not know when that will happen. By the way, TapaTalk is still free as far as I know.