PDA

View Full Version : Not a three hour tour?

Slydude
07-14-2016, 02:05 AM
Its been a bit quiet on the forum today so here's something that might liven things up.

Most of us remember the TV series Gilligan's Island where seven people get marooned on an island. That started me thinking: Who would you want to be marooned on an island with for at least thirty days? Here are the rules:

1. You cannot select family members.
2. You may not select someone who has already died.
3. If you select a fictional character from a movie/tv show the actor/actress who portrays that character goes to the island and takes on the person of the characters.
4. A maximum of 20 people can be on your island.

pigoo3
07-14-2016, 09:56 AM
I'm curious about the rules::)

1. You cannot select family members.

No problem here…not many family members I would want on the island anyway! ;) Ha Ha.

2. You may not select someone who has already died.

How come…if we can have fictional characters?

4. A maximum of 20 people can be on your island.

How big is this island? With 20 people..could get crowded. I was looking for some peace & tranquility…and not the drama of a Survivor episode…or a "Lord of the Flies" situation!;)

- Nick

MacInWin
07-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Def NOT Nick^^^^. Too many questions ;). All I want is my Mac, a good internet feed and enough food and water.

pigoo3
07-14-2016, 11:27 AM
All I want is my Mac, a good internet feed and enough food and water.

What about clothing & sunscreen?;)

I remember a Bugs Bunny cartoon…where one of the characters was stranded on a island with cases & cases & cases of canned food…but no can opener!;)

- Nick

pigoo3
07-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Here are the rules:

One more clarification on the rules.;) Are we allowed to be on the island by ourselves…or must we choose at least one person?:)

- Nick

dtravis7
07-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Def NOT Nick^^^^. Too many questions ;). All I want is my Mac, a good internet feed and enough food and water.

The way Mac OS Sierra is working here on 2 Macs I think I will take my Windows 10 Notebook! :D Grin

I will take Tim Cook and lecture him on computers with replaceable parts and prove to him the IPad Pro can NOT do everything a computer can do!

:D

Slydude
07-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Rules clarifications for all the bureaucrats who may read this:\

1. You do not have to take 20 people with you I have almost that many on my list so I figured good round number to work with. Being alone on the island is fine.
2. Basic provisions are available (including sunscreen).
3. A special "zombie" exemption":\ has been granted and Nick can select people who have died. The cost of said exemption is now being taken under advisement.

pigoo3
07-14-2016, 12:50 PM
Rules clarifications for all the bureaucrats who may read this:\

1. You do not have to take 20 people with you I have almost that many on my list so I figured good round number to work with. Being alone on the island is fine.
2. Basic provisions are available (including sunscreen).
3. A special "zombie" exemption":\ has been granted and Nick can select people who have died. The cost of said exemption is now being taken under advisement.

Ha ha. I was just curious.:)

I think I better understand what was meant by the no dead people rule in the beginning. I was thinking that we were contemplating a totally fictitious scenario where anything was possible. But it sounds like you were thinking more realistically…that we cannot "raise the dead".

I think that one of the key rules is the at least 30 day marooning. Can make a very BIG difference whether someone wanted to stay on the island by themselves for 30 days…or with someone or someone's for at least 30 days. We may pick folks to stay on the island that we thought might be really cool at first…and after 2-3 days…realize that this person or person's is/are TOTALLY the wrong choice!

I think that if we were marooned for at least 5 years…this could make a very big difference whether we chose to stay on the island alone (5 years is a very long time alone)…or make VERY careful choices who we would want to be with for at least 5 years.

- Nick

Slydude
07-14-2016, 01:50 PM
That might indeed make a big difference.Part of the reason I have nearly 20 people on my list is I kept coming up with new people. The other part of the problem was I figure in 30 days I would probably have annoyed a smaller group of say four or five.

toMACsh
07-14-2016, 01:51 PM
I would pick an Eagle Scout or two. I know several.

pigoo3
07-14-2016, 01:55 PM
The other part of the problem was I figure in 30 days I would probably have annoyed a smaller group of say four or five.

Hey…it's your world…you're the boss (you picked them). If they're annoyed with you…too bad!;) If they don't like it…they get no Spam & no Red Bull…just old coconuts!;);)

This is where having fewer I think is better. Less drama & less conflict.:)

- Nick

pigoo3
07-14-2016, 01:56 PM
I would pick an Eagle Scout or two. I know several.

This is probably the smart way to go. Pick folks with skills.:)

I guess it depends on exactly how much in the way of resources we are provided with.

- Nick

chscag
07-14-2016, 02:57 PM
I think Sly has been playing Pokeman! Too much time on his hands.... ;P

Slydude
07-14-2016, 03:13 PM
I think Sly has been playing Pokeman! Too much time on his hands.... ;P
Never did it. Never will.

It was just really sow around here last night. Even before there was some type of database debacle.

MacInWin
07-14-2016, 06:03 PM
Was the "database debacle" why I was forced to change my password today?

Given I'm clothed, fed and covered, I'll stick with good Internet and my Mac. If it's somehow a survival scenario, I want a Navy Seal and an Army Ranger, plus one Recon Marine. I figure I can live off the leftovers from that trio.

pm-r
07-14-2016, 06:14 PM
Sorry to possibly mess up here, but I don't know if I even qualify as I grew up on an island (James Island off Sidney BC) and now live on a much larger island (Vancouver Island BC). Use Google maps if you have to. So, sorry, been there, done that… have fun…

pigoo3
07-14-2016, 06:48 PM

Kinda sorta.;)

- Nick

pm-r
07-14-2016, 07:33 PM

Kinda sorta.;)

- Nick

You were't the only one to question that as I thought it had been caused by a Safari extension I was updating with some problems just prior to accessing this site.

But the "Sticky: Security Update for Registered Users" for today also confirmed that when I final got there.

chscag
07-14-2016, 07:58 PM

Not exactly Jake. Did you read the closed thread from our Security Officer in our "Community" forum? That explains it.

harryb2448
07-14-2016, 08:01 PM
You roosters need to go ut and get jobs. Too much retirement time on your hands!

Only one observations - your poor wives/partners!

chscag
07-14-2016, 08:04 PM
Looks like you're back up and running Harry. Sorry about all the problems here lately. Blame it on that Slydude guy, he's overpaid and underworked. ;D But we love him anyway....:P

Slydude
07-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Looks like you're back up and running Harry. Sorry about all the problems here lately. Blame it on that Slydude guy, he's overpaid and underworked. ;D But we love him anyway....:P
So, $0.00 is overpaid now? Good to put a number on it. I was wondering what passed for paid too much around here.:D
Except for Harry none of you guys are allowed on my island. Unless of course I need something repaired.

Kinda thought we'd have seen someone's list of island participants by now.

lclev
07-14-2016, 09:05 PM
I could do 30 days alone - with no one needing me to do anything for them. Now as Nick said, five years would be different - then I would have a list. But if I view this as a nice refreshing vacation where I can take people and not have to do anything but relax then my list would include:

1. My husband (1)
2. My kids- two boys and two girls - all grown and moved out now. (4)
3. My oldest daughter's husband and her two girls (3)
4. My best friend, her husband and two kids (4)
5. My youngest brother and his wife. (2)
6. My ex-sister-in-law and her girls (4)

With me that makes 19.

BTW: Did you ever wonder on Gilligan's Island, how they got all the clothes and furniture on the boat? I mean the Howell's lived very nicely for being cast away on an island.

Lisa

IWT
07-15-2016, 05:42 AM
After 23 posts, it's perhaps a bit late, and probably a very sad reflection on me; but few of us in the UK really know much about Gilligan's Island. It was on an obscure channel very late at night - I think. I never saw it. I don't feel tainted by this omission, but it may reflect badly on my CV:P

Ian

KevinJS
08-01-2016, 05:05 PM
I'll go with the surviving members of Monty Python, the members of Rush (Canadian rock band, for those who have been living on a different planet for the last 40 years) and ANY woman. I figure after a few days any woman would be beautiful, so no need to worry about specifics.

Groovetube
08-01-2016, 11:48 PM
One. Cameron Diaz. My life would be over when I got back, but boy that'd be a hell of a 30 days!

Edvard
08-10-2016, 06:34 AM
Ahaha! The same! )))