PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Info From Photo Files

billinden
07-12-2016, 08:10 AM
I had this post in another forum but got no replies. Hope moving it here isn't breaking any rules. I'm desperate.

I need to send my personal photo on the Net to accompany a resume. Is there any way I can delete all the information that is on the file when you right click on it and click "info". It has my name and other info. Just cautious with so much identity theft around.. Thanks.

chscag
07-12-2016, 03:37 PM
Thread moved here to the appropriate forum.

I need to send my personal photo on the Net to accompany a resume. Is there any way I can delete all the information that is on the file when you right click on it and click "info". It has my name and other info. Just cautious with so much identity theft around.. Thanks.

Have you tried right clicking on the photo, select "Get Into" and erase whatever information about the photo that it shows? If that doesn't work, take another photo of yourself and don't include any information about it. The only information about the photo that may remain is the date it was taken and the location (if you have location services turned on). I just recently went through a whole group of photos that I put in my photo library and until I included information about the photo in "Get Info", the only thing that showed up was the date and sometimes location where the photo was taken. No other info was included.

What information is included with your personal photo that you are sending along with your resume? I would imagine your future employer would require some personal info about you anyway? Unless data such as your SSAN were included, I don't believe you have to worry about identity theft.

badshoehabit
07-12-2016, 03:52 PM
I'm presuming you are using Photos of iPhoto for filing.

If so, did you enter the information yourself when filing the images? I've looked at lots of my pictures in Photo, including selfies, and there's no personal data at all in the info pane, as Chs says. If you entered it yourself, you can delete/change it (under title and description) whereas the image number and camera details can't be altered.

Try sending a pic to yourself, download and see what data is transmitted.

billinden
07-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Thread moved here to the appropriate forum.

Have you tried right clicking on the photo, select "Get Into" and erase whatever information about the photo that it shows? If that doesn't work, take another photo of yourself and don't include any information about it. The only information about the photo that may remain is the date it was taken and the location (if you have location services turned on). I just recently went through a whole group of photos that I put in my photo library and until I included information about the photo in "Get Info", the only thing that showed up was the date and sometimes location where the photo was taken. No other info was included.

What information is included with your personal photo that you are sending along with your resume? I would imagine your future employer would require some personal info about you anyway? Unless data such as your SSAN were included, I don't believe you have to worry about identity theft.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did right click on it. That's how I found the info I don't want on it. Primarily, my name. No, it doesn't matter if my prospective employer sees my name. He will see it on my resume. But, my concern is sending any information over the Internet with my name and photo together. Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing, but so did a lot of other people who have lost their identity.

By the way, I right clicked on it again and as far as I can see there's no way to delete any info. What am I missing?

Thanks again.

billinden
07-12-2016, 07:48 PM
I'm presuming you are using Photos of iPhoto for filing.

If so, did you enter the information yourself when filing the images? I've looked at lots of my pictures in Photo, including selfies, and there's no personal data at all in the info pane, as Chs says. If you entered it yourself, you can delete/change it (under title and description) whereas the image number and camera details can't be altered.

Try sending a pic to yourself, download and see what data is transmitted.

The photo is one that I had taken at a professional studio. When I downloaded onto my computer, it became part of my Library. That's when the info was added. My Mac automatically added it. I didn't manually add any info. I may not be understanding your response.

I did as you suggested. Every photo I download on my computer automatically adds my name to the "Get Info" screen.

chscag
07-12-2016, 08:25 PM
Thanks for your reply. Yes I did right click on it. That's how I found the info I don't want on it. Primarily, my name. No, it doesn't matter if my prospective employer sees my name. He will see it on my resume. But, my concern is sending any information over the Internet with my name and photo together. Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing, but so did a lot of other people who have lost their identity.

Your email is safe in transmission from you to your prospective employer. Unless someone hacks into your account or the account at the receiving end, there should be no problem in sending a photo identifying you as the person in the photo. Your biggest worry should be what will be done with whatever you sent (your resume and photo) when it's received by your prospective employer. How will it be protected at their end?

Don't mean to get you thinking in the wrong direction, but nowadays we have to understand how easy it is for personal information to be compromised. My advice to anyone is that purchasing identity theft protection is as important as having life and auto insurance. I have it. ;D