• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Amazed by the hate out there...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 MacBook (m5), 2013 macbook pro retina 15", 2009 MBP non retina 13", 2014 21" iMac
Hello everyone!

Haven't checked in for a while and hope everyone is doing well :)

Just recently picked up a MacBook and am really enjoying it! Of course I watched the YouTube videos and reviews and had to pretty much decide for myself by trying it out. I realize the port situation, keyboard and processors are all being attacked by many, but I have to say that for what I purchased it for (mobility, light photoshop and relatively lighter weight projects) it is superb!

I have a 2013 15" MBP which I use for photo editing and will continue using it for the heavier duty Photoshop edits, but I have to say that the MacBook has been in my hands a lot more than even I expected. The ease of mobility, excellent keyboard, amazing speakers and display make it a must have for me which gets me to my intentions with this thread.....All of the Apple hate out there!

I have made comments online via YouTube and different forums that were basically passive in nature, just stating that I have been a Mac user for decades and how much I like Apple products. It is unreal how much hatred, obscenities, and venom is spewed in my direction. 99% of the time I try to be polite, refrain from any foul language, respectful and fair, but it is pretty much impossible with a lot of the haters out there!

My question to you folks is.......What is the Apple hatred rooted in? Is it envy, perception, stereo typing, an honest belief that Apple is some kind of evil company or something else? I mean, I don't mind a good debate or even a spirited argument, but the blatant verbal attacks you get sometime just because you use Apple products or God forbid by praising Apple is surprising.

Thanks for your time and best to everyone! I'll be anxious to read what you think :)

take care,

Rick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey.. glad to see you back. As for the Apple bad talk, I don't pay attention to it. What I find most amazing is that the folks who are doing the gossiping about Apple or anything else are doing it on their iPhones or iPads. Bit of hypocrisy, don't you think? ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Been this way since the beginning Rick.:(

There are basically "two teams" in computing-land (Windows based computers & Apple computers). Just like game-day at a football game…folks love their team & hate the other team. Unfortunately…Apple only represents 10% of the market…which means much of the other 90% are not Apple fans.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hello everyone!

Haven't checked in for a while and hope everyone is doing well :)

Just recently picked up a MacBook and am really enjoying it! Of course I watched the YouTube videos and reviews and had to pretty much decide for myself by trying it out. I realize the port situation, keyboard and processors are all being attacked by many, but I have to say that for what I purchased it for (mobility, light photoshop and relatively lighter weight projects) it is superb!

I have a 2013 15" MBP which I use for photo editing and will continue using it for the heavier duty Photoshop edits, but I have to say that the MacBook has been in my hands a lot more than even I expected. The ease of mobility, excellent keyboard, amazing speakers and display make it a must have for me which gets me to my intentions with this thread.....All of the Apple hate out there!

I have made comments online via YouTube and different forums that were basically passive in nature, just stating that I have been a Mac user for decades and how much I like Apple products. It is unreal how much hatred, obscenities, and venom is spewed in my direction. 99% of the time I try to be polite, refrain from any foul language, respectful and fair, but it is pretty much impossible with a lot of the haters out there!

My question to you folks is.......What is the Apple hatred rooted in? Is it envy, perception, stereo typing, an honest belief that Apple is some kind of evil company or something else? I mean, I don't mind a good debate or even a spirited argument, but the blatant verbal attacks you get sometime just because you use Apple products or God forbid by praising Apple is surprising.

Thanks for your time and best to everyone! I'll be anxious to read what you think :)

take care,

I think it's weird that people care that much about the platform of choice by other people, but let me ask you this: why did you feel the need to even mention that you love Apple and their products? Was it relevant somehow to the discussion at hand? Ever see anyone brag about how much the love Microsoft and their products? That simply doesn't happen, and I think evangelical-like behavior is a bit of a turn-off. I know it did annoy me back before I was a Mac user. I don't know what exactly what your comments have been in the past or the context of them, so they may well have been reasonably appropriate, but if you make a point of mentioning it for no good reason, then this is something to think about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I think it's weird that people care that much about the platform of choice by other people, but let me ask you this: why did you feel the need to even mention that you love Apple and their products? Was it relevant somehow to the discussion at hand? Ever see anyone brag about how much the love Microsoft and their products? That simply doesn't happen, and I think evangelical-like behavior is a bit of a turn-off. I know it did annoy me back before I was a Mac user. I don't know what exactly what your comments have been in the past or the context of them, so they may well have been reasonably appropriate, but if you make a point of mentioning it for no good reason, then this is something to think about.

Bingo. I've run into similar situations with Jeeps, various firearms brands, ham radios and many other "hobby" things. People who aren't as excited about their stuff as you are about your stuff sometimes just don't like hearing about how much you like your stuff. They like hearing about how much you like your stuff even less if some other annoying people also told them how much they liked their stuff, which was just like your stuff. Go figure. People are funny.

OP
greyhound rick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 MacBook (m5), 2013 macbook pro retina 15", 2009 MBP non retina 13", 2014 21" iMac
Thank you chscag, Nick, Lifeisabeach and XJ-linux. Appreciate all of the comments!

chscag - yeah, good points! So true huh? Great to be with you again!

Nick - Exactly, I have to remember about this heated rivalry and how we are outnumbered!

Lifeisabeach - I was commenting on a Mac YouTube video where the person was asking viewers to let her know what they think about the new MacBook. I had mentioned that I loved mine and that Ive always appreciated the Mac OS and hardware, preferring it over PCs. Thats what opened the floodgates. I was pretty civil while getting called every name in the book. I have pretty thick skin so its all good, just curious as to why people act the way they do...

XJ-linux - Yep, I think another thing too is that, not unlike texting, what you type sometimes does not convey how you feel as there is no voice tone to accompany it. You're right, people are funny...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...just curious as to why people act the way they do...

If you (or we) could answer this…we would probably end all war, hatred, prediduce, and any other negative human trait. And be able move forward with more important things like curing cancer, extending lifespans, birth defects, etc.…figuring out the meaning of life, are we alone in the galaxy:)…and how to keep Donald Trump from becoming president!!;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If you (or we) could answer this…we would probably end all war, hatred, prediduce, and any other negative human trait. And be able move forward with more important things like . . . how to keep Donald Trump from becoming president!!;)

- Nick

I expect you mean, how to keep him from becoming president without putting Hillary in the Oval Office. :p

Now that is a discovery that would be Nobel Prize worthy! ;)

OP
greyhound rick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you (or we) could answer this…we would probably end all war, hatred, prediduce, and any other negative human trait. And be able move forward with more important things like curing cancer, extending lifespans, birth defects, etc.…figuring out the meaning of life, are we alone in the galaxy:)…and how to keep Donald Trump from becoming president!!;)

- Nick

Ha ha, thats awesome Nick!

OT: Im not much into politics, but I thought you might like this (Ben Shapiro at his finest):

https://youtu.be/yX5dBzxKNOw

take care,

Rick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.