Startup disk is almost full!

Reaction score
I was given a Macbook Air. I'm a Windows person, and don't know what to do about this. I'm visually impaired, and I need this laptop to help me use my desktop PC. This morning when I turned the Macbook Air on, a message popped up for a few seconds. I donno if I was able to read all of it because it disappeared too quickly... but what I read, said,

Your startup disk is almost full.

My wife used the Macbook Air to transfer data from an old iPad to a new iPad. Could it be that she left a lot of extra data in the Macbook?

I know very little about the workings of a Mac! And the screen is so small, it makes it very hard for me to use this machine... but it's all I have. :) I Googled the message I got, and it said I had to delete some files! I only have text files on this computer so I'm thinking there might be pictures put there by my wife.

What should I do? How do I view the hard disk to see how much space is still available?

Any help with this will be very much appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OSX has some excellent accessibility features that you'll find in Settings (the Silver cog icon on the dock). Have a look at this page too:
http://www.apple.com/uk/accessibility/osx/

Disk space:
The first thing I'd do is open Finder and go to the Downloads folder. Delete anything in here you don't need or could re-download in the future if needed.
Empty the trash can that's far right of the Dock.

Go to http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html and download the version of Onyx for your version of OSX (you can check this by clicking the Apple logo top left and looking at the system information).
Install and run Onyx - run all the things from the 'Automation' tab. It may take a while. Once complete restart the Mac.

The System Information panel (mentioned above) tells you a bit about disk usage but a tool like Disk Inventory X will give you a full, sorted display of disk usage and let you make informed decisions about what you can get rid of. Stick to getting rid of things in the Applications/Pictures/Documents/Downloads/Videos/Movies folders to start with.

Both Onyx and Disk Inventory X are well established stable tools. But as with any kind of significant system change I'd recommend you have a back up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OSX has some excellent accessibility features that you'll find in Settings (the Silver cog icon on the dock).

It's probably labeled System Preferences.

OP
M
Reaction score
I emptied the trash. I'm in DOWNLOADS now. I'd like to delete everything there. How do I do that? I'm a Windows person... and here, I'm a stranger in a strange land! :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
1. Single click somewhere in the window to0 make sure that is the active window.
2. Press Command and A simultaneously to select everything (doesn't have to be a capital a).
3. Right click one file (don't double click) and select move to trash or press Command and Delete simultaneously
4. Empty trash by clicking its icon in the Dock (task bar) and choose Empty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's pretty much the same as windows but to select all its cmd+a rather than ctrl+a to select all.
In fact in OSX you'll find that cmd is almost a one for one equivalent to Windows ctrl

Or you can drag over the files and then drag to the recycle bin, just like windows

Or you can use either way to select the files then press cmd+delete

The link should help as you go one:
https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbasics/

OP
M
Reaction score
I thought I emptied the trash before but I can't remember how I did it.

When I clicked on the TRASH icon, the only thing that appeared was the word TRASH! There was no "EMPTY TRASH." :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I thought I emptied the trash before but I can't remember how I did it.

When I clicked on the TRASH icon, the only thing that appeared was the word TRASH! There was no "EMPTY TRASH." :(

Right-click on the trash can…then select "Empty Trash".

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I wasn't sure you could right-click on a Mac. I Googled it and found out how.

Well this solves my immediate problem with my little MacBook Air. Thanks totally for all the help. :) I'm sure I'll have more question in the future as I use this strange computer. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's different, to you, but not strange at all to those of us experienced with its use. ;)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It's different, to you, but not strange at all to those of us experienced with its use. ;)

And, MrMag00, I think I am right in saying that the great majority of those who use Mac-Forums are also Windows users, either at work, for some special application, or in the past. So we can help you correlate many of Windows functions with Mac equivalents.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I wasn't sure you could right-click on a Mac. I Googled it and found out how.

Congratulations. I still can't believe why Apple still ships out new Macs set with Job's insistence to only have a single clickable mouse. Crazy!!

Even some old-time Mac users sometimes get caught.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Congratulations. I still can't believe why Apple still ships out new Macs set with Job's insistence to only have a single clickable mouse. Crazy!!

All Apple rodents since the infamous "Magic Mouse" have been right clickable. So, don't know where you're getting this from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All Apple rodents since the infamous "Magic Mouse" have been right clickable. So, don't know where you're getting this from?

Yes they have, but have you not noticed a new iMac is often usually setup with its Mouse System Preferences Pane set to single-click.

At least when an Apple "Magic Mouse" is attached. I don't use them.

EDIT:
As case in point and typical web hint:
"Every desktop Mac since late 2005 has come with a two-button mouse — but you might not realize it. Take a look: Is it a white, shiny plastic capsule with a tiny, gray scrolling track-pea on the far end? Then you have a Mighty Mouse. Is it a cordless, flattened capsule instead? Then it’s a Magic Mouse. Each has a secret right mouse button. It doesn’t work until you ask for it. " [Bold mine] ;)
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-many-different-ways-to-right-click-in-os-x-84954004439.html

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

Most of the time you don't need a two button mouse. I have mine set to be two button, but for a very long time I just held down the CMD key and clicked away and got the same results. It's a personal preference, and Apple gives you the tools to do what you need to make it work the way you want. And they set it up for the default the way THEY want, which is what pretty much every manufacturer does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
…but for a very long time I just held down the CMD key and clicked away and got the same results.

Sure you haven't got the keys confused and actually mean holding down the control key…???

I'm lazy and prefer at least a two button and configured mouse thanks. Actually I use a multi-button Logitech M-705 mouse for even more usability and effifiency.

M

MacInWin

Yeah, confused the two. CTL not CMD, but the principle apples. I stick with the Apple mouse because I like the feel of it in my hand. Logitech used to be ok, but they've lost it recently, IMHO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.