PDA

View Full Version : Happy Canada Day

Slydude
07-02-2016, 12:58 AM
Almost forgot to wish our Canadian members Happy Canada Day. Don't celebrate too hard.

chscag
07-02-2016, 03:01 AM
A bit of Canadian history for our members:

Canada Day = July 1, 2016

A federal statutory holiday, it celebrates the anniversary of the July 1, 1867 enactment of the Constitution Act, 1867 (then called the British North America Act, 1867), which united the three separate colonies of Canada, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick into a single dominion within the British Empire called Canada.

IWT
07-02-2016, 05:18 AM
And it happens to be my birthday too. I think this may be coincidence:Mischievous:

Ian

chscag
07-02-2016, 03:24 PM
I did away with birthdays years ago. Don't need any more! :P

lclev
07-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Well it is a day late but Happy Birthday Ian! And to our Canadian friends - Happy Canada Day!

Lisa

RadDave
07-02-2016, 03:44 PM
And it happens to be my birthday too. I think this may be coincidence:Mischievous:

Hi Ian - Happy Birthday! Dave :)

IWT
07-02-2016, 04:14 PM
Thanks Dave and Lisa. That's very kind of you.

I'm touched.

Ian

Slydude
07-02-2016, 05:31 PM
Belated Happy Birthday Ian. Hope your temperatures are cooler in Wales than they are for Charlie and I in the States. If not have an extra pint.

pm-r
07-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Almost forgot to wish our Canadian members Happy Canada Day. Don't celebrate too hard.

Thanks for that Slydude and I missed your wishes somehow yesterday.

Not an awful lot of Canuck members here but we manage.

PS: And a belated birthday wish for you Ian.

- Patrick
======

Slydude
07-02-2016, 05:58 PM
I posted that late in the day yesterday. Only about an hour left in Canada Day by then. My wife reminded me earlier yesterday but it slipped my mind until last night.

RadDave
07-02-2016, 06:51 PM
I posted that late in the day yesterday. Only about an hour left in Canada Day by then. My wife reminded me earlier yesterday but it slipped my mind until last night.

Hey Sly.... - just noticed that your went over the 10,000 post mark! :Cool: Congrats! Dave :)

IWT
07-02-2016, 06:58 PM
Hope your temperatures are cooler in Wales than they are for Charlie and I in the States.

We're all "cool" here in North Wales:Cool:

But I had that extra glass of wine — strictly to help the economy, of course.

Ian

pm-r
07-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Hey Sly.... - just noticed that your went over the 10,000 post mark! :Cool: Congrats! Dave :)

WOW!!! Some congrats due I'd say.

- Patrick
======

chscag
07-02-2016, 07:50 PM
WOW!!! Some congrats due I'd say. - Patrick

======

Now you went and done it! Nick and I were hoping Sly wouldn't notice it. Now he's going to be asking for a pay raise. :$ ;P

pm-r
07-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Now you went and done it! Nick and I were hoping Sly wouldn't notice it. Now he's going to be asking for a pay raise. :$ ;P

Not really my fault, Sly as a moderator was actually quietly clicking the counter in the background and hoping that none of the Admins would notice. But I always seemed to get the blame for almost anything, even as a kid — many years ago…

- Patrick
======

Slydude
07-02-2016, 08:20 PM
Actually, I hadn't noticed until I read Dave's post. Now, what was that you were saying about pay raise? Just how large a raise can I expect to get?

RadDave
07-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Actually, I hadn't noticed until I read Dave's post. Now, what was that you were saying about pay raise? Just how large a raise can I expect to get?

Well, from the 'grapevine', I hear that you will be receiving a package of some Ben bills soon - ;) Dave

Slydude
07-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Why do I get the feeling it will be a bundle of Monopoly money? :Mischievous:

RadDave
07-02-2016, 09:43 PM
Why do I get the feeling it will be a bundle of Monopoly money? :Mischievous:

LOL! ;P Well, just the thought that counts! ;) Dave

Slydude
07-02-2016, 09:52 PM
LOL! ;P Well, just the thought that counts! ;) Dave

So, if I go to an Apple store with tons of positive thoughts but no cash that gets me what?

Never mind I think I know the answer.:Mischievous:

pm-r
07-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Well, from the 'grapevine', I hear that you will be receiving a package of some Ben bills soon - ;) Dave

I hear a rumor the Admins got a good deal on some of these to use at their discretion …

Slydude
07-02-2016, 10:16 PM
Rotfl.

Shilingford
08-16-2016, 08:13 AM
Happy Canada Day. All the best!

pigoo3
08-16-2016, 09:10 AM

You do realize that Canada Day was about 46 days ago…right.;)

- Nick

pm-r
08-16-2016, 01:49 PM

Thanks, but as Nick says, you missed the party.

Or did you get into the Canadian beer and weren't expecting its knockout punch that can hit some folks…??? ;)

- Patrick
======

pigoo3
08-16-2016, 01:59 PM
Or did you get into the Canadian beer and weren't expecting its knockout punch that can hit some folks…??? ;)

That would be quite a knockout punch!;)

- Nick

KevinJS
08-16-2016, 02:02 PM
Especially when it freezes and you have to break the bottle on your drinking partners head to get at the beer, like 7 months of the year.

Canadian drinking is not always a non-contact sport.

pm-r
08-16-2016, 02:39 PM
Especially when it freezes and you have to break the bottle on your drinking partners head to get at the beer, like 7 months of the year.

Canadian drinking is not always a non-contact sport.

Gee, I don't know many true Canadians that can leave their beers unconsumed that long or even long enough to even freeze. But then again, I do live in one of the mildest part of the country. ;)

- Patrick
======

KevinJS
08-16-2016, 03:12 PM
Well, I'm not saying it gets cold in Alberta, but I was barbecuing last winter and stabbed myself in the throat with a beercicle. That, by the way, is when the last inch of liquid beer turns to an ice dagger as you pour it into your mouth. A tight seal between lips and bottle is recommended to avoid this.

And yes, Canadians do barbecue at -40.

pigoo3
08-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Well, I'm not saying it gets cold in Alberta, but I was barbecuing last winter and stabbed myself in the throat with a beercicle.

This could be a new way to drink beer (intravenous injection).;) Of course bypassing the mouth (taste) would seem a shame!

- Nick

RadDave
08-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Well, I'm not saying it gets cold in Alberta, but I was barbecuing last winter and stabbed myself in the throat with a beercicle. That, by the way, is when the last inch of liquid beer turns to an ice dagger as you pour it into your mouth. A tight seal between lips and bottle is recommended to avoid this.

And yes, Canadians do barbecue at -40.

Hey Kevin - years ago we lost electricity for about 5 days in the winter - I used our outside gas grill and seemed to take forever to get food cooked (and I'm talking about temps around freezing or slightly less and not -40 - now is that F or C?) - SO, I was looking at these Winter Grilling Tips (http://www.crownverity.com/bbq-cold-nine-tips-grilling-winter/), and number six quoted below piqued my interest - have not done the math but cooking at below freezing temps would take a while - ;)

BTW - a pic below from the same link - LOL! :)

SIX: Adjust your cooking time accordingly. Some foods will take slightly longer to grill but other foods like roasts, ribs, chicken and turkey may require substantially more time than expected. A good rule of thumb is to add 20 minutes cooking time per pound for every 5 degrees BELOW 45 degrees F.

KevinJS
08-16-2016, 07:41 PM
That pic looks familiar.

Dave, -40 is the same on both scales.

pigoo3
08-16-2016, 07:44 PM
The "magic temp"-40.;)

- Nick

RadDave
08-16-2016, 07:49 PM
That pic looks familiar.

Dave, -40 is the same on both scales.

LOL! I didn't even think about that but know in retrospect after 5 undergrad courses in chemistry at the U of Michigan - getting too damn OLD! ;) Dave

pigoo3
08-16-2016, 08:49 PM
LOL! I didn't even think about that but know in retrospect after 5 undergrad courses in chemistry at the U of Michigan - getting too damn OLD! ;) Dave

Knowing your background Dave...I knew you would kick yourself.;) Hey you're in a "happy place"...retirement. No need to keep that stuff stored in the noodle...that's what Google is for (as necessary)!:)

- Nick

KevinJS
08-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Knowing your background Dave...I knew you would kick yourself.;) Hey you're in a "happy place"...retirement. No need to keep that stuff stored in the noodle...that's what Google is for (as necessary)!:)

- Nick

I blame one too many visits to Kentucky.

RadDave
08-16-2016, 09:43 PM
I blame one too many visits to Kentucky.

LOL! :) I believe that Kevin enjoyed my travelogue about Kentucky on the iPad Forums HERE (http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/kentucky-frankfort-lexington-horses-bourbon.129055/) - he seems to have really responded when I mentioned visits to some of the bourbon distilleries - ;)

But, if any members here are passing through the fabulous 'Horse & Bourbon' state of Kentucky, then take a look for some MUST do activities - Dave :)

KevinJS
08-16-2016, 10:35 PM
LOL! :) I believe that Kevin enjoyed my travelogue about Kentucky on the iPad Forums HERE (http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/kentucky-frankfort-lexington-horses-bourbon.129055/) - he seems to have really responded when I mentioned visits to some of the bourbon distilleries - ;)

But, if any members here are passing through the fabulous 'Horse & Bourbon' state of Kentucky, then take a look for some MUST do activities - Dave :)

Very much so. Those of us who are lucky enough to have the chance to travel can sometimes lose sight of the fact that everywhere is exotic to someone. The photographs we post show a world to people who would otherwise never get the chance to see it.

pm-r
08-16-2016, 11:25 PM
Hello…??? Did someone mention Bourbon or was that Whiskey I heard, and then there's that Canadian stuff we get to call all kinds of different names… but all still pretty darn yummy AFAIC… ;)

Try checking out:
http://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/drinks/what-exactly-is-the-difference-between-bourbon-and-whiskey-20140905
and
http://thewhiskeywash.com/bourbon/still-bourbon-not-made-kentucky/

- Patrick
======