Apple SuperDrive issue

Reaction score
New to Mac Pro coming from Windows. Running El Capitan and connected Super
drive, insert disc and can hear it trying to work, but won't read disc, then ejects disc. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@rdmoo

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

Please don't be offended, but I have to ask you if you have the Super Drive the right way up.

The silver/grey flat surface should be uppermost and the black surface with the Apple logo should be face down on the table.

(You might be surprised at how many people, intuitively, assume that the black side with the Apple logo should be visible).

Once we've established that, please post back.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good reminder Ian. The first time I read that (maybe from you( I alternated between laughing and muttering "Who thought that was a good idea".

Also, assuming that you haven't already, try a different disc that is known to be good (can be read from another Mac, PC, or DVD player).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just to be 100% clear what model Apple computer you have? Is it really a "Mac Pro" desktop computer…or is it a MacBook Pro laptop computer?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Also, I recently read that an external Apple Superdrive will only work with a Mac that already has an internal Superdrive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Also, I recently read that an external Apple Superdrive will only work with a Mac that already has an internal Superdrive.

You almost got it.:) Apple external superdrive's only work with Mac's that did not originally come with a built in optical drive (MacBook Air's, retina MacBook Pro's, etc.).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

You almost got it.:) Apple external superdrive's only work with Mac's that did not originally come with a built in optical drive (MacBook Air's, retina MacBook Pro's, etc.).

- Nick

Agree w/ Nick - my Apple Superdrive works fine w/ my non-optical internal drive MBPro - however, as stated the Apple Superdrive will not function if there is a built-in optical drive - hope that is correct; NOW, will a non-Apple optical drive work w/ an Apple computer w/ a built-in one?

@ Ian - great suggestion - just took a look at my Superdrive and would be easy to place the device on a surface upside down - I contemplated putting in a disc the wrong way just to see what would happen, but might jam - so will not try - ;) Dave

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I almost asked in the previous post if you were the one that had posted that info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Not at all helpful but I had this problem 9 months ago and had to phone Apple support in the end. For the life of me I can't remember the solution though I did have the drive the right way up...

M

MacInWin

- Nick
Nick, I think that's not quite right. I have a MBP that used to have an internal optical drive, but I took that drive out and put in an SSD in the space. I moved the optical to an enclosure and it works fine over USB. But I also have a third party optical that also works with the USB ports (and did so even when the optical was still internal). The ONE thing that does NOT work is to play a DVD movie in an external caddy if there used to be an internal optical drive. That's because the framework for iDVD is hard coded for INTERNAL if you had one originally. But the use of CD/DVD for data is just fine with an external drive on a MBP that has/had an internal optical.

So, I would say it this way: Apple external superdrives work with Macs for data, but only Macs that never had an internal optical drive can play movies on an eternal drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So, I would say it this way: Apple external superdrives work with Macs for data, but only Macs that never had an internal optical drive can play movies on an eternal drive.

More confusion. We need to define what's an Apple External Superdrive from an Apple installed superdrive. Two different beasts, therefore, behaviour is not the same. Nick's statement above is right on.

M

MacInWin

chscag, so you are saying that if you go to the Apple store and buy an external superdrive, that Apple has buggered with the firmware deliberately to prevent it working on a MBP that once had an internal optical drive? I just want to be sure that is what you are saying. Because I stand by what I said about external opticals working just fine for data for MBPs that once had or still have an internal Optical drive. I've got one working that way and I didn't make any changes to the drivers. The only thing I cannot do with the superdrive in an external enclosure, or with a third party external optical drive, is watch DVDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You almost got it.
Thanks. I obviously misread the post, or the OP misposted. :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Some day the OP may come back!

Mac Pros are hulking 33lb large boxes. If that is what you mean it is a simple chore to install a new optical drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
chscag, so you are saying that if you go to the Apple store and buy an external superdrive, that Apple has buggered with the firmware deliberately to prevent it working on a MBP that once had an internal optical drive?

Yes, that is what we are saying. Based on our experience and input from users, it's what Apple has done.

Because I stand by what I said about external opticals working just fine for data for MBPs that once had or still have an internal Optical drive. I've got one working that way and I didn't make any changes to the drivers. The only thing I cannot do with the superdrive in an external enclosure, or with a third party external optical drive, is watch DVDs.

I've no problem with that statement as I have done the same thing myself with my older 2011 iMac which did have an installed optical drive. As a matter of fact, I was not only able to burn data, but also used the drive (third party Samsung) to watch commercial DVDs.

Bottom line... The Apple external superdrive sold in their on line store and Apple stores will only work with a Mac that was not originally equipped with a superdrive. Just as Nick pointed out above.

OP
R
Reaction score
Definitely not offended, the Silver/gray topside and black logo down; tried different disc but no go, it is a new (6mos), MacBook Pro laptop 17".

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are NO 6 month old 17" MacBook Pro machines. Last 17" MacBook Pro was offered in late 2011 and it came with a built in optical drive.

OP
R
Reaction score
My mistake, it's a MacBook Pro Laptop, Retina, 15" and it does not have a built in optical drive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.