• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problem burning iMovie DVD

Reaction score
I have created an i Movie project with music and photos, have saved it to disc image and am trying to burn it to a DVD-R. In the past I opened disc utility, clicked burn, inserted a disc and it burned. This time after a "waiting for the drive" message the disc ejects with no burn.

Suggestions please

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Poppi insert a DVD in and see if the optical drive reads it to check that end out. You may need something a little more fancier that Disk Utility. Download 'Burn' which is freeware and try that, opting to burn at the slowest speed. I use Roxio's Toast Titanium but at over $100 probably not worth the expenditure anymore with DVDs losing popularity.

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
Poppi insert a DVD in and see if the optical drive reads it to check that end out. You may need something a little more fancier that Disk Utility. Download 'Burn' which is freeware and try that, opting to burn at the slowest speed. I use Roxio's Toast Titanium but at over $100 probably not worth the expenditure anymore with DVDs losing popularity.

That seems to be the key. I inserted a blank DVD and after a short time it ejected. Tried another from the same spool with the same result. However I then inserted a blank CD-R and then a backup file CD-R and both were read successfully. I know I have used DVD-R discs from this batch in the past with no problem. What could have changed?

poppi

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I remember correctly DVD players/burners use two different lasers. One handles the CDs and the other handles the DVDs. It's possible that the laser which reads the CDa is still working while the other is not working.

OP
P
Reaction score
If I remember correctly DVD players/burners use two different lasers. One handles the CDs and the other handles the DVDs. It's possible that the laser which reads the CDa is still working while the other is not working.

Thank you slydude. The mystery deepens. I am fortunate to have two iMacs (my wife has the second). I tried the same experiment on the second - inserted a DVD-R and a CD-R with the same results. The DVD was ejected and the CD was readable. This would seem to indicate there is not a problem with the burner but with the DVD discs?

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you go into "About This Mac", under the Apple icon, in the upper left corner, you can see information about your Mac. When the window pops up, click on System Report. When the System Report window opens look in the left column for Disc Burning and click on it. What does it say for durning types?

OP
P
Reaction score
If you go into "About This Mac", under the Apple icon, in the upper left corner, you can see information about your Mac. When the window pops up, click on System Report. When the System Report window opens look in the left column for Disc Burning and click on it. What does it say for durning types?

Here is what it says:

MAT****A DVD-R UJ-875:

Firmware Revision: DB09
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

Checking the Mat****a home page it says the latest firmware revision is DB09 so it appears I am up to date?

The mystery is I have used these same DVDs in the past with no problem and now they won't work in EITHER of my iMac machines.

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you put a disc in while the System Profiler was up and go to View > Refresh? This would tell if the laser is reading the disc or not? Regardless, some disc are bad, I had, at one time, contacted a manufacturer about a lot of bad discs, in a 100pk spindle and they sent me a new one.

OP
P
Reaction score
Did you put a disc in while the System Profiler was up and go to View > Refresh? This would tell if the laser is reading the disc or not? Regardless, some disc are bad, I had, at one time, contacted a manufacturer about a lot of bad discs, in a 100pk spindle and they sent me a new one.

Thanks for the reply. Tried to follow your suggestion but am confused. FYI I am at 10.6.8 and the path to Disc burning is about this Mac > More info and then Disc burning under Hardware. When I click View > Refresh it just takes me back to the contents page.

A further mystery. I took the last DVD I had burned (September 2015) which came from the same spool of Verbatim DVD-R discs which are now giving me fits. I loaded it in the Mac and it opened with no problem. Does that make any sense?

As stated earlier I believe the optical drive firmware is up to date. Would it make any sense to download the "latest" firmware (same as the current) to see if that helps?

Thanks for your help

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The reason I am asking if you put a disk in is, then the optical drive will try to access the disc and tell you the read/write speeds available for that type of disc. This way you will know if the laser is reading the discs. Try writeable dvd's and cd's for confirmation.

After you put the disc in, go ahead and reopen System Profiler to see what it says now under Hardware > Disc Burning.

OP
P
Reaction score
The reason I am asking if you put a disk in is, then the optical drive will try to access the disc and tell you the read/write speeds available for that type of disc. This way you will know if the laser is reading the discs. Try writeable dvd's and cd's for confirmation.

After you put the disc in, go ahead and reopen System Profiler to see what it says now under Hardware > Disc Burning.

OK I finally figured out what you are saying. First I went to the Disc burning and saw the following:

MAT****A DVD-R UJ-875:

Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

I then put in a writable CD (which I know it recognizes), pressed view > refresh and got the following:

MAT****A DVD-R UJ-875:

Media:
Type: CD-R
Blank: Yes
Erasable: No
Overwritable: Yes
Appendable: Yes
Write Speeds: 8x, 24x

I repeated that for a DVD-R, pressed view > refresh but the disk ejected and the screen returned to this:

MAT****A DVD-R UJ-875:

Don't know if any of this makes sense. To refresh - the drive recognizes writable CD-R discs and written DVD-R discs but ejects blank DVD-R discs. I have exactly the same experience on my other iMac.

Really appreciate your help

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you run System Profiler on both machines and got the same result? That would be very strange if both machine stopped writing dvd's at the same time. maybe you should try a few more dvd's from that package or a different package before going any further?

OP
P
Reaction score
Did you run System Profiler on both machines and got the same result? That would be very strange if both machine stopped writing dvd's at the same time. maybe you should try a few more dvd's from that package or a different package before going any further?

I am completely baffled by this whole thing. The DVD-Rs which are now failing worked perfectly well in the past. And yes, I have tried several discs from that spool all with the same result. I will buy some new discs tomorrow and give them a try. Can't think of anything else to do

Thanx for your help

poppi

OP
P
Reaction score
UPDATE - After endless on line research and reading about laser lens cleaners ad infinitum I stumbled on a post suggesting compressed air (on the assumption that dust was interfering with the reader). Tried that an voila - the disk mounted and I was able to burn my DVD. How relieved I was when I popped it into the DVD player and it was perfect. Thanks to all of you for trying to help

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very strange that it affected both iMacs at the same time. Glad it's working now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.