PDA

View Full Version : Apple announces macOS Sierra, replacing OS X, and improvements to Photos

badshoehabit
06-13-2016, 03:26 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/13/apple-wwdc-keynote-key-points-at-a-glance

and

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/13/mac-os-sierra-apple-os-x-siri-desktop-wwdc

chscag
06-13-2016, 08:29 PM
In case our good friends from around the world are wondering about "MacOS Sierra", the name is from the famous "Sierra Nevada" mountain range in California.

Slydude
06-13-2016, 08:39 PM
Lots of interesting stuff in this years keynote address. Fell asleep during part of it and will have to replay it. I'' be discussing some of the more important stuff in tonight's chat in about half an hour.

Rod Sprague
06-13-2016, 10:27 PM
Ha, ha! I suggested the possibility of Siri being introduced to OSX in a recent post regarding the Mac's poor system process progress feedback. eg no progress bar in Time Machine when "Preparing Backup". I was only joking really when I said, maybe if we had Siri in OSX we could just ask how it was progressing. One of our members (you know who you are) replied, nooo, not OSX Siri! Looks like it's come to fruition already, but I guess it was inevitable.

pigoo3
06-13-2016, 10:38 PM
And for anyone curious. Here's some early indications what models "Sierra" will be compatible with (not official yet):

iMac: Late 2009 or newer
MacBook: Late 2009 or newer
MacBook Air: Late 2010 or newer
MacBook Pro: Mid 2010 or newer
Mac Mini: Mid 2010 or newer
Mac Pro: Mid 2010 or newer

- Nick

Slydude
06-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks for that info Nick. I guess I'll just have to leave my MacBook Pro on El Capitan.

BTW I saw the demo of universal clipboard and thought "Why haven't we been able to do this all along"?

ferrarr
06-13-2016, 11:23 PM
All the other OSes use numbers to designate the difference, when will macOS follow suit? The don't need the 10 (X) anymore, just go with the numbers and no more names. Too confusing.

Slydude
06-13-2016, 11:32 PM
I doubt that Apple will start doing that. I've been using Macs regularly since operating system 7.1 and they have always done that. The difference is that, prior to OS X, the names were generally only used internally and sometimes by some of the Mac magazines. I think if they were going to change that, they would've done so by now.

Rod Sprague
06-14-2016, 01:19 AM
Well, I'm halfway to downloading Sierra onto lightening bolt EHD, should be an interesting experience to try.

IWT
06-14-2016, 04:47 AM
All the other OSes use numbers to designate the difference, when will macOS follow suit? The don't need the 10 (X) anymore, just go with the numbers and no more names. Too confusing.

According to one source, the new OS will be "macOS Sierra" - http://osxdaily.com/2016/06/13/macos-sierra-release-date-fall-2016/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+osxdaily+%28OS+X+Daily%29

According to another, it will be "macOS 10.12 Sierra" - http://tidbits.com/article/16569

Of course, as another commentator said "it's just another blooming mountain" :)

Ian

badshoehabit
06-14-2016, 05:25 AM
In case our good friends from around the world are wondering about "MacOS Sierra", the name is from the famous "Sierra Nevada" mountain range in California.

We have sierras in Europe too! And other parts of the world but I realise it would be named after the Californian range. Spanish word.

lclev
06-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Did anyone catch the plans for a new file system too?

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/apple-file-system-revealed-at-wwdc-2016-focused-on-encryption-and-ssd-support/?ftag=TREe01923b&bhid=24667049261440535164629482566316

It seems it will only be usable on storage drives as, "you cannot use an APFS volume as a startup disk, as a Time Machine volume, or as part of a Fusion Drive. FileVault encryption will not work on it, either. APFS formatted volumes won't work on OS X 10.11 Yosemite and earlier."

Lisa

Slydude
06-14-2016, 05:40 PM
I certainly missed that. I bet we get tons of posts from users who don't understand the pros / cons of this type of encryption. Given what you can't use it for I will be curious to see how many people rush to adopt it.

IWT
06-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Lisa, I must say that I'm always impressed by the depth of your knowledge and the way you pick up on things.

Reading your linked article, not all of which I fully understand:Blushing: , there are changes afoot which look like impacting on the way we use our Macs. Thank you for your diligence.

Ian

pigoo3
06-14-2016, 07:13 PM
Regarding the new file system. Just one of those "thangs".;)

Like other changes over the years. Go with the flow (changes)…or keep using older OS version's as long as you can or need to.:)

- Nick

lclev
06-14-2016, 07:40 PM
I guess what surprised me was that the new APFS is offering improved support for SSD and yet you can not use it on the startup drive - which is where most of us will have an SSD. I gather it is just for storage drives. So that means HFS+ will still be around for the foreseeable future.

But Nick is right, it is just one of those "thangs".

One of the things I have had to get use to is Apple's yearly offering of new OS versions. In the world of Windows there are several years between major OS versions - and tons and tons and tons of updates in between.

Lisa

pigoo3
06-14-2016, 08:10 PM
But Nick is right, it is just one of those "thangs".

LOL : )

One of the things I have had to get use to is Apple's yearly offering of new OS versions. In the world of Windows there are several years between major OS versions - and tons and tons and tons of updates in between.

This storage format change is probably a little more significant than the average change Apple normally makes. But not as big a thing as in the past…when in the:

- Late 1990's when Apple moved from the Motorola 68000 series CPU's to the Apple-IBM-Motorola PowerPC CPU's (G3, G4, G5 CPU's).
- Early 2000's when Apple moved from the original Mac OS (now called "Classic")…to Mac OS X.
- 2006…when we switched from PowerPC CPU's to Intel CPU's.

Although these switch's came with a transition period. Basically Apple told us that all our investment in the previous format (hardware & software) was akin to obsolete/trash…and we all had to reinvest in the "new stuff"…like it or not.

Of course it's very easy to look back on things now…and see that these transition's weren't nearly as sudden or shocking as it felt when they were first announced. But at the time of these changes/announcements…many of us were "floored" with the prospect of having to completely repurchase our software libraries…and almost felt like we immediately had to run-out & spend $2000+ for a new computer (each time this happened)!!!

- Nick

pm-r
06-14-2016, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the confirmation info and I was just assuming that was the case, and also thinking that they may have been avoiding using any earthquake zone name if there is such a similar one!!! Sure wouldn't want to have any sort of association for a new macOS. ;)

pm-r
06-14-2016, 10:04 PM
Ha, ha! I suggested the possibility of Siri being introduced to OSX in a recent post regarding the Mac's poor system process progress feedback. eg no progress bar in Time Machine when "Preparing Backup". I was only joking really when I said, maybe if we had Siri in OSX we could just ask how it was progressing. One of our members (you know who you are) replied, nooo, not OSX Siri! Looks like it's come to fruition already, but I guess it was inevitable.

Gee, amazing what some members can say, but they were probably imagining some of the Siri expressions that would be announced and made the remark in jest… but you knew that right. ;)

Sort of like some comments some people make if and when I might use dictation etc… and maybe I should just put up a sign like this: ;)

lclev
06-14-2016, 10:39 PM
I get the need for change and obviously Apple has had to make changes to keep themselves competitive. Sierra does not sound like huge upgrade. We will get some neat features and the new drive formatting system looks like it does not have to be used. I tend to love change and playing with new features. I will be happy as long as my current girls can run the new versions.

Now when they can't and I have to buy new computers. ..... I get to go shopping!!! :Cool:

Lisa

harryb2448
06-15-2016, 12:30 AM
And no doubt the APFS will just be the beginning of a requirement next release to be flash storage as it is reported the new file system 'has flash storage in mind'.

Will cause biugger waves than dropping PowerPC and 32bit EFI machines. Quite odd a 2009 MacBook makes the cut, but a 2009 Mac Pro with dual 2.93GHz CPU's does not.

chscag
06-15-2016, 12:39 AM
That's what everyone is saying Harry. I think we may see a revised list of which machines can run macOS Sierra.

harryb2448
06-15-2016, 03:12 AM
Up or down mate?

It may be like the famed Government white papers floated to test the waters and possible voter reaction!

Nighthawk4
06-15-2016, 07:59 AM
So it seems my new Mid-2012 MBP will run it but not my old Early-2008 iMac.

Either way, the former is new and came with El Capitan and the other has only just been upgraded to El Capitan, so not planning any more upgrades for a while, even if my hardware runs it.

Fairly happy with what I have - apart from El Capitan reporting my external drive volumes have disconnected improperly every so often. Lion didn't do that - with the same hardware. Also of course, El Capitan cannot see my SAN, which Lion can :)

AliceSML79
06-15-2016, 04:48 PM
And for anyone curious. Here's some early indications what models "Sierra" will be compatible with (not official yet):

iMac: Late 2009 or newer
MacBook: Late 2009 or newer
MacBook Air: Late 2010 or newer
MacBook Pro: Mid 2010 or newer
Mac Mini: Mid 2010 or newer
Mac Pro: Mid 2010 or newer

- Nick

i have a early 2011 macbook pro. looks like macOS Sierra may bee the last OS ill be able to use on my mac. guess i should start saving for a new macbook pro.

lclev
06-15-2016, 04:52 PM
Quite odd a 2009 MacBook makes the cut, but a 2009 Mac Pro with dual 2.93GHz CPU's does not.

There are reports of those running Mac Pro 2009's as 4,1 that have the Sierra beta up and running. I am sure if the firmware has been flashed on the 2009 to 5,1 it will also run Sierra.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-macos-sierra-handle-mac-pro-4-1-and-5-1-interesting.1977139/page-2

Lisa

IWT
06-16-2016, 08:51 AM
Here's something else I belatedly discovered about Sierra — or so it is rumoured. All to do with Gatekeeper and alleged withdrawal of users' ability to bypass it when launching unsigned apps:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/06/15/ability.exists.with.a.manual.open....a.double.clic k.wont.do.the.job.134658/?utm_source=MacNN+Newsletter&utm_campaign=92c0d9631a-my_google_analytics_key&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9d2654d74e-92c0d9631a-79368369

Ian

Nighthawk4
06-16-2016, 09:52 AM
I suspect that will put off a lot of people from updating to Sierra :(

lclev
06-16-2016, 10:44 AM
If they mess with Gatekeeper and stop unsigned apps from installing that could be a game stopper for me. It depends on how this all hashes out. I realize Apple will present this as a safety issue - which I get. I wonder how much is also a money issue. "Want to be an approved developer?" Please send your payment of $$$ to...."

Lisa

pigoo3
06-16-2016, 10:59 AM
I suspect that will put off a lot of people from updating to Sierra :(

Maybe. But eventually we all have to upgrade at some point (if we want to continue using Apple products).

Someone who digs their heels in and says…"Im not upgrading to Sierra because of xyz feature." Ok…maybe right now…no upgrade. Believe me…5 years from now…that person is upgrading to Sierra!;)

- Nick

pm-r
06-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Interesting how many beta testers have bypassed some of Apple's specs already, but then again, it is just in beta form…

lclev
06-16-2016, 02:04 PM
It kinda reminds me of Windows. I remember when Windows 95 came out and they told us we needed 4MB of RAM. Gasp! I could not imagine why!!! Anyway, I could get it to install and to run on our 1MB PCs - slow but it would run.

I think companies will spec a new OS with what they feel will work well with what they are going to offer in the final version. They will lean toward the conservative side - which I don't blame them for. And it gives those of us out here in Appleland something to play with and be challenged. :Cool:

Lisa

TanBrae
06-20-2016, 09:26 PM
I'd just like to know if we are going to have to upgrade from Mavericks, before upgrading to Sierra??? Haven't read anything about that, and have hesitated (obviously) to upgrade to Yosemite and El Capitan.

Slydude
06-20-2016, 09:52 PM
I doubt that we are going to have to do that. Ever since the final release of Snow Leopard you been able to download new OS versions from the Mac App Store without having to have any of the intermediate versions. You could for example go from Lion to El Capitan without anything in between. We won't know for sure until things get closer to the final release date.

pm-r
06-20-2016, 11:08 PM
I'd just like to know if we are going to have to upgrade from Mavericks, before upgrading to Sierra???

Doubtful as Sly says, but that's why some are suggesting to download the El Cap'n installer and tuck it away for safe keeping somewhere, just in case.

Apple has a habit of pulling the last previous release version shortly after the most recent release, but it should be available in the Purchased section to re-download if the older version has been downloaded previously, and maybe lost somewhere, somehow.

- Patrick
======

chscag
06-20-2016, 11:17 PM
I'd just like to know if we are going to have to upgrade from Mavericks, before upgrading to Sierra??? Haven't read anything about that, and have hesitated (obviously) to upgrade to Yosemite and El Capitan.

If you've hesitated to upgrade from Mavericks to either Yosemite or El Capitan, why then are you concerned about upgrading to Sierra? Just stick with Mavericks. ??

Rod Sprague
06-21-2016, 03:08 AM
I dunno Nick, look at how many people are still using 10.6.8. How old is that now? I do like the idea of grabbing a copy of the El Capitan installer now and putting it aside though. I have one that I recently used to setup an external drive for Beta 10.11.6 the forerunner to Beta 10.12 in July.
As to "unsigned apps" well, does that include Malwarebytes, AppTrap, Find any File and OnyX because if so that would be a show stopper for me.

pigoo3
06-21-2016, 07:54 AM
I dunno Nick, look at how many people are still using 10.6.8. How old is that now?

Sure there are folks still running 10.6.8. Probably folks still running 10.5 and 10.4 as well.;) But my guess since there are 5 newer OS X versions beyond 10.6.8…that the % of folks running 10.6.8 is rather small. And a fair number of these folks may be using computers that may not be able to upgrade beyond 10.6.8 or 10.7.5 (like some older white MacBooks and white iMac's).

Certainly doesn't hurt to grab & archive El Capitan before it disappears. We all upgrade eventually (hardware & OS).:)

- Nick

maxwell2112
06-25-2016, 03:32 AM
There are actually those who buy a computer and use it just how it came from the Apple store until the wheels fall off it. When you ask why they don’t upgrade the software they say, “Why? It works.”………..These strange animals are not the enthusiast on this forum site. God love them, but I’ll be upgrading my late 2011, 17” MacBook Pro as soon as it is available and I’m not even sure why because “It works” now.

ferrarr
06-25-2016, 07:44 AM
As the new OS X versions come out, I"Get" them. I purchased a refurb 2010 iMac through Apple and got a free upgrade to Lion for that purchase. Then when Mountain Lion was released I quickly paid the $20 for that too. Then everything else was an easy decision, even if I don't need it, I might. Now I keep them all in my Applications folder, except El Capitan. Then when that is no longer in the App Store, I will download it. I am actually going to get a bunch of 8gb SD cards and put them all on those and put them away.