PDA

View Full Version : Privacy policy?

cherry_bomb
06-08-2016, 09:09 PM
I have never experienced issues on any of my Apple products until last week. Out of nowhere, this pop up suddenly started occurring whenever I would bring the computer out of sleep mode. I can not click on it and it does not say what program it is for. I am completely at a loss. I have not installed any new programs.

I do have Malwarebytes and Ghostery running. Any help at all would be appreciated!

pm-r
06-08-2016, 11:08 PM
What happens if you click the "More Details" button??

Does not the screen shrink if it's full screen and you press the esc key??

What shows if you press the command+option+esc keys as to what apps are running that you could force quit??

Have you even restarted or shutdown and rebooted???

Anything sitting in your users login items…

Maybe add some info.

cherry_bomb
06-08-2016, 11:23 PM
It does not allow me to click anything on the pop up, including the more details button. So far, I have not been able to close it on my own, it just randomly shows up over the top of whatever program I am using, whether it be Safari or Plex. It will close itself out after displaying for several seconds.

I restart and shut down regularly and that has not made it go away, it still randomly shows up.

I have not tried to press the combination of keys you suggested, I am unfortunately on a wireless PC keyboard, although when I have looked at my force quit programs menu, nothing has been running that shouldn't be.

I am not sure what you mean anything sitting in my users login items? And as far as adding more info to my post...well, I would if I could. I am completely stumped. There is nothing TO add. :/

harryb2448
06-09-2016, 12:31 AM
You have Malwarebytes for Mac. Open it up and select to run in Scan and follow any instructions.

cherry_bomb
06-09-2016, 01:02 AM
You have Malwarebytes for Mac. Open it up and select to run in Scan and follow any instructions.
That was the first thing I did when this happened. It hasn't found anything.

cradom
06-09-2016, 05:26 AM
Looks like something from Wordpress? Do you have an external Wordpress reader? Something that's not in a browser?

cherry_bomb
06-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Looks like something from Wordpress? Do you have an external Wordpress reader? Something that's not in a browser?

No, I don't. :( And the wordpress part that you can see is just on the web page I was reading when the pop up showed up. It will show up over anything with no indication where it is coming from.

For instance, it just popped up now while I was making this post, but I wasn't fast enough to capture it with my phone. It's making me nuts, but I'm also very worried about where it came from and what its doing.

pm-r
06-09-2016, 01:10 PM
Hmmm…???

It sure looks to be part of a web page to me, and almost what I see at their website i.e.:
http://globalnews.ca/news/2635735/making-a-murderer-case-emails-blasting-manitowoc-county-police-released/?iframe=true&preview=true

"“Some of the emails, in my opinion, have been borderline threatening,” wrote Brey. “Not to myself but to members of our law enforcement community. I have never been a big paranoid person… but after one of the emails I received contained the line and I quote ‘ROT IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY YOU EVIL *******!’ I felt that at the very least, the Sheriff’s Department should place these on file in case something shows up later.”

READ MORE: Steven Avery case: Blood evidence “not properly protected” by cops, says expert

This almost came to fruition when a bomb threat was called in to the Manitowoc Police offices.

Bomb threat caller made statement of getting "justice for Steven" in an apparent reference to Steven Avery

— Manitowoc Police (@ManitowocPolice) February 4, 2016 "

chscag
06-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Nice find Patrick. Looks like she may have accidentally subscribed to that site?

cradom
06-09-2016, 01:37 PM
I think she's referring to the strip at the top that says Privacy Policy and two buttons.
Looks to me like a pop-up from the site, reminding of a change. Or does it pop up without the browser even open?

Slydude
06-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Good point Craig. Something similar to that was in the back of my mind. If that's the case the buttons should be clickable. Unless of course it is having issues. I have one site with a page that looks fine in Safari and the buttons appear but don't work. The same page works fine in Chrome.

@cherry_bomb Does this only appear when you are surfing the web? If so, try a different browser and see if you can click one of the buttons to make it go away.

pm-r
06-09-2016, 02:17 PM
I think she's referring to the strip at the top that says Privacy Policy and two buttons.
Looks to me like a pop-up from the site, reminding of a change. Or does it pop up without the browser even open?

Or maybe have a quick look at what Activity Monitor might be showing under "My Processes" that might be running and/or the cause.

Or some sort of browser extension that might be running… hmmm…??? :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

cherry_bomb
06-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Hi, guys! It pops up no matter what I am doing. Watching Netflix, Plex, in iPhoto, browsing the net...there is no rhyme or reason

I know the wordpress thing sounds logical, but I just happened to be viewing a site with a wordpress plug in when it popped up- the only time I was able to capture it any phone. It pops up here, on Facebook, absolutely everywhere.

It only happens for a second but I can not click on anything on the pop up. I also cannot get to the activity monitor before the pop up closes.

I JUST now got it again, uploading new photo for you in a second.

cherry_bomb
06-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Here is the one that showed up while I was typing the message.

Ember1205
06-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Is the browser always running when it happens? It's entirely possible that you've picked up some sort of "cookie" that is causing that pop up to launch at seemingly random times. Just because it's "everywhere" doesn't mean that it isn't coming from just one place - your browser.

You could try wiping out all cookies, browsing data, history, etc. from the browser and see if it comes back.

Ember1205
06-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Wait a minute...

That isn't a laptop screen... It's a TV.

Check your Samsung product for new information from SmartHub or similar.

https://m.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/4mi8p2/unclickable_popup_at_top_of_screen_stating/

cherry_bomb
06-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Good point Craig. Something similar to that was in the back of my mind. If that's the case the buttons should be clickable. Unless of course it is having issues. I have one site with a page that looks fine in Safari and the buttons appear but don't work. The same page works fine in Chrome.

@cherry_bomb Does this only appear when you are surfing the web? If so, try a different browser and see if you can click one of the buttons to make it go away.

Hi, Slydude! I really appreciate you chiming in to help out.

The very first time I was watching Plex in full screen. Of course it freaked me out at first and I tried to click on it and it went away. So I just assumed it was one of those random things that we aren't meant to understand. O.o

Now it pops up every time I start up my mini. It doesn't matter if I'm in Safari, answering a iMessage, email, etc, it will pop up at least once almost right away. I have about 10 regular web pages I view every day, throughout the day and it could happen on any one of them, but it only happens when I bring the computer out of sleep mode or turn it on. Again it can also happen while I'm watching Plex or streaming netflix from the browser.

Craig is right, it IS a pop up- but it is not from any website I am on or program I am running- that I can tell. It will not let me click on anything on the pop up banner.I've tried to hit please review, to drag it, etc- there's no functionality on it AT all, except that it takes over my computer on its own randomly.

cradom
06-09-2016, 08:36 PM
What browser extensions are you running? Chances are one was updated and has a change in policy.
You say iPhoto. Was your browser running in the background? How do you quit the browser? Clicking the red dot wont do it.

cherry_bomb
06-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Yes, it is. I'm sorry, I didn't realize I didn't mention that! Checking your link.

cherry_bomb
06-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Wait a minute...

https://m.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/4mi8p2/unclickable_popup_at_top_of_screen_stating/

Holy crud! Thank you!! I googled high and low before I reached out to you all, but I didn't see that reddit thread. Now to figure out how the hell to make it go away.

You guys are all amazing, thank you SO much for talking this out with me and trying to help. I was about to bonk my head against the wall!

cherry_bomb
06-09-2016, 08:40 PM
What browser extensions are you running? Chances are one was updated and has a change in policy.
You say iPhoto. Was your browser running in the background? How do you quit the browser? Clicking the red dot wont do it.

My browser is almost always running in the background. :p

cradom
06-09-2016, 08:43 PM
Wait a minute...

Good call! Wish I'd seen that earlier.

cherry_bomb
06-09-2016, 08:48 PM
Good call! Wish I'd seen that earlier.

Well. You know.

It would have been HELPFUL if I had mentioned it!!! LOL :*

cherry_bomb
06-09-2016, 08:51 PM
Cookies for everyone!

Not quite our beloved Mac Apple...but the sentiment is there. :)

pm-r
06-09-2016, 09:21 PM
Cookies for everyone!

Not quite our beloved Mac Apple...but the sentiment is there. :)

So, are you all cured or do you need to maybe try a cold boot and use Safe Boot Mode for doing more diagnostics…???

PS: Nice apple cookies… delicious, maybe a spartan and some goldens but no macs… ;)

cherry_bomb
06-09-2016, 09:35 PM
No Macs. LOL

I will have to wait until it pops up again to see if I am all fixed. Here's hoping!

Ember1205
06-09-2016, 09:57 PM
You can't "click" it, but you should be able to acknowledge it with the TV remote and the various arrows and Enter button on it. Next time it pops up, grab the remote and hit Enter (it seems the "more details" is already highlighted) and let us know what happens.

cherry_bomb
06-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Will do. I am hoping this will be the end of it. :) Thanks for your good eye!

cherry_bomb
06-11-2016, 09:11 PM
It's all fixed! Thank you so much everyone! <3

LauraSmithMS
06-14-2016, 08:38 AM
that is such useful information for Mac users thanx a lot

yogi
06-27-2016, 08:08 AM
EDITED - sorry I didn't realize the post was solved.