• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

TV Tuner for Mac

Reaction score
I am retiring my Windows machine and converting to Mac. I got the hardest part done, which is converting from Quicken to Banktivity. But one thing I like on my Windows 7 machine is Windows Media Center, and my internal Happauge PCI TV card.

Is there any equivalent for the Mac, both HW, and software? I imagine that with a Macbook Air, I'd want a USB device.

Thanks for any advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Here's a link that describes 5 TV Tuners for your Mac. Make sure you choose one that is compatible with the version of OS X that your MacBook Air is running.

OP
J
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Here's a link that describes 5 TV Tuners for your Mac. Make sure you choose one that is compatible with the version of OS X that your MacBook Air is running.

Thanks. I saw that list earlier, but when I look for the devices on amazon, it says most are discontinued.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, unfortunately Macs are not upgradeable as some of the older Win machines were. About the only one that's really upgradeable is the Mac Pro ($$$) and as far as I know, there are no PCIe TV tuner cards for the Mac Pro. The best external box was the Elgato but that has been discontinued and Elgato is pretty much out of business anyway. You might want to try to find something on eBay but make sure it's compatible with your Mac and the seller accepts returns.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This article seems pretty current 3015 includes the elegato with ariel input and available sources. macfixes.com/tv-tuner-for-mac/#disqus_thread (dead link removed)

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Elgato sold out and are no longer in business. You linked to the new owners.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
Yes, Elgato sold out and are no longer in business. You linked to the new owners.

Elgato is still in business, but changed focus, and sold out ATSC gear to Geniatech.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
And I'd strongly suggest one should do their homework on the actual product they are even considering, especially depending on where they live and watch out for amazon type sales and inflated prices for something that may not even work.

i.e.:
"…No. EyeTV Go is only for receiving DTT (DVB-T, TNT, Freeview) signals in many European countries, and Australia.
It will not function in North America or other regions of the world at all.
North American digital TV over antenna is known as ATSC, which EyeTV Go can’t receive.

https://www.geniatech.eu/eyetv/faq/does-eyetv-go-work-in-north-america/

PS: Odd isn't it that I still have a working Apple Mac 68K LC630 in the basement with the optional Apple TV/tuner card installed and the remote tuner that can do as much or more than any recent Mac. Hmmm….progress…???

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_lc/specs/mac_lc_630.html

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Elgato is still in business, but changed focus, and sold out ATSC gear to Geniatech.

They may still exist, but they are no longer in the TV Tuner business, which as indicated they sold out to Geniatech.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Stop, go back, don't become an Apple "fan-boy" just for the sake of it. Windows is where the pros do video now. FCP was murderd by Apple, the Mac Pro is way out of spec for a modern machine and expensive, iMacs overheat...a lot. I am a pro and I know other pros and we are all moving back to Windows.

I wouldn't dream of questioning your professional qualifications and expertise; but in my relatively short time in the Mac world, I have had 6 iMacs (currently two). In fact, I've had nothing but iMacs and never encountered the kind of overheating problems you claim - not a little, never mind "a lot".

Whether an iMac is up to the job under discussion is not for me to comment, but others reading this thread might be mislead into thinking iMacs have an overheating problem. I don't think that is the case at all.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Stop, go back, don't become an Apple "fan-boy" just for the sake of it. Windows is where the pros do video now. FCP was murderd by Apple, the Mac Pro is way out of spec for a modern machine and expensive, iMacs overheat...a lot. I am a pro and I know other pros and we are all moving back to Windows.
This comment doesn't help the the OP at all. Their question has noting to do with Final Cut Pro for editing video but rather using a Mac to view TV programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't know if the OP is still interested, but just using your phrase Sly as a search term, 'using a Mac to view TV programs' show various methods one can use.
https://www.google.com/search?clien...g+a+Mac+to+view+TV+programs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

It seems that software has replaced using add-on devices in a lot of cases, and can depend on where one lives.

Unfortunately, some listed sites are not dated which really p's me off, as one can't tell if their info is current or not.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This comment doesn't help the the OP at all. Their question has noting to do with Final Cut Pro for editing video but rather using a Mac to view TV programs.

He's a troll and has been banned.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I thought so as well but figured maybe I was being a bit thin skinned today,

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
He's a troll and has been banned.

Thank you for that. I hope you didn't feel my response to his remarks was inappropriate.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.