PDA

View Full Version : FaceTime or Skype

Bill Gates Jr.
05-29-2016, 08:52 AM
Is FaceTime Apple's answer to Skype? Never used either program. I was trying to get my technology challenged daughter to install Skype but wonder if there is a FaceTime app for her Win tablet? Not sure which would be the better choice. Are they similar programs? Which is the better program? Easiest to use?
Petr

ferrarr
05-29-2016, 09:16 AM
FaceTime is not a cross platform app. Go with Skype.

Bill Gates Jr.
05-29-2016, 09:31 AM
When I typed in FaceTime for PCs, there seemed to be at least one FaceTime app for PCs, including those running Win 7 & 8. Are you sure your answer is correct?

Petr

ferrarr
05-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Have you read the articles, an Apple computer is a pc. I read this article, http://www.imore.com/ask-imore-wheres-facetime-android, but I saw this same question on another forum last month.

chscag
05-29-2016, 03:11 PM
When I typed in FaceTime for PCs, there seemed to be at least one FaceTime app for PCs, including those running Win 7 & 8. Are you sure your answer is correct?

Petr

Member "ferrarr" is correct. For now, FaceTime is proprietary to Apple and there are no plans to make it available to other platforms. As stated above, go with Skype. If you have a subscription to Office 365, I believe you're given free time on Skype by Microsoft (current owner of Skype).

Trimshophoe
05-30-2016, 03:52 AM
Despite both being very capable video calling apps and each having its own pros and cons, recommending one over the other is fairly easy, and it will depend entirely on your needs.
If you place video calls mostly with other iOS device or Mac owners and you are always connected to Wi-Fi, then FaceTime definitely provides the better experience despite its limitations. If you call friends with devices other than Apple’s, like to call on the go and away from Wi-Fi or are already a Skype user, then Skype will have you covered.