PDA

View Full Version : Old Final Cut(s) and new Photos

cowbrain
05-28-2016, 02:16 PM
Hello.

Been using Final Cut for years.
Saving up for FCPX, but been using old Final Cut Express HD, problem free (on a fast MBP) through all the recent OS.

El Capitan brought PHOTOs in with it - and iphoto has disappeared.
Now I can't import still images into my Final Cut projects. The only option PHOTOS gives me is to import from Photo Booth.
All my photo libraries and iphoto libraries have been imported into photos, but Final Cut only offers me Photo Booth content.

I'm assuming that it's because I'm using an ancient software with a new OSX?- but FCE played well with Mavericks and Yosemeti. (Both had iphoto)

I'm hoping that FCPX will fare better.
In the meantime, as I scrimp and save, anybody got any solutions/workarounds/thoughts?

Thanks, CB

lclev
05-28-2016, 03:54 PM
iPhoto is still in your apps in Finder. You can export pictures from Photos and then import them into iPhoto - which would be a long laborious process. I understand the issues with photos - it is different.

From what I am reading you are correct, you can not import photos from Photos into FC Express. But you can when you finally get FCPX. As a workaround you can export the pictures you need from Photos and then import them into FC Express. You can also still use iPhoto and let it create a library from any exported photos.

It is a pain but until you upgrade it is doable.

Lisa

cowbrain
05-28-2016, 05:18 PM
Thank you, Lisa.

That's what I'm currently doing, until we get the new software.
I'm working with still image so much at the moment, it's a toss-up between FCPX and Dragonframe. If I could afford both, that would be ideal.
But, I'm going to have to get them one at a time - and FCPX covers more bases. So, coming soon, hopefully.

Thanks again, CB

lclev
05-28-2016, 06:15 PM
I am an Adobe user. I still use the CS6 suite - Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, etc. I am afraid when CS6 becomes obsolete I will have to decide what I want to do. I have tried the CC free trial and am not willing to get locked into a monthly fee. I have FCPX and I have played with it but it will be a bit of a learning curve so for now I will keep with what I know. :Smirk:

Lisa