PDA

View Full Version : New Sidebar on this site

toMACsh
05-08-2016, 08:26 AM
Very annoying. It's on every forum topics page. I don't want to sign up for Mac Forums Brief, nor do I want to download the Visual Analysis Guide, or certainly not Clean My Mac! There is no X to close the ad. If I finally download Malwarebytes, will I be able to get this nuisance to go away? (I've never need it before!)

chscag
05-08-2016, 03:10 PM
We have always had ads in Mac Forums. I have not seen this new sidebar ad so can not comment on how it looks. However, Premium Membership will get rid of the ads. Of course that's your choice.

pm-r
05-08-2016, 11:51 PM
Care to post a screen shot of what you're experiencing — if you still have the problem…

ankhseeker
05-09-2016, 11:04 AM
Ghostery and Ad block + work wonders here. Have you ran Malware bytes recently? Maybe you caught something?

cradom
05-09-2016, 02:03 PM
I don't remember about Adblock (I think it does) but you can right-click on page elements and block them in uBlock Origin.
When I log in, using 1Password, that thing in the sidebar gets the info too and complains about a bad email address or something.
I just right-clicked it and blocked it.

toMACsh
05-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Care to post a screen shot of what you're experiencing — if you still have the problem…

Well, it won't be any time soon, as I've never tried that and will have to search for the instructions I've seen given to others.

pm-r
05-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Well, it won't be any time soon, as I've never tried that and will have to search for the instructions I've seen given to others.

Just take your screen shot image and save it somewhere handy like your desktop, and then when posting back, click on the "Insert Image" icon, see image below, then navigate and Select the image from the next popup window and then just Upload with your post:

toMACsh
05-14-2016, 11:10 AM
This is what I'm seeing. Maybe it was there before last weekend and I just didn't notice?

cradom
05-14-2016, 11:31 AM
Yup, that's been there.
What mine looks like after uBlock:

pm-r
05-14-2016, 01:54 PM
This is what I'm seeing. Maybe it was there before last weekend and I just didn't notice?

You won't see the "Insert Image" icon option if that's what you're saying — until you click any of the "Reply" options. Then it will appear to use and add your image.

- Patrick
======

badshoehabit
05-18-2016, 04:56 PM
I use Adblock Plus and never see ads.

toMACsh
07-11-2016, 02:04 PM
At work, on Windows, not sure I have that option or authority.

chscag
07-11-2016, 03:44 PM
We used to be able to change "skins" for forum display, however, I see that option no longer exists as there is only one skin to choose from. In order to get rid of the sidebar and any other ads (without using ad block extensions) you need to be a premium member or staff member. The sidebar that member "toMACsh" is referring to only appears on initial sign in for premium members and then disappears when forum traffic is displayed.

I hope that clarifies the sidebar effect somewhat.

pm-r
07-11-2016, 03:59 PM
I hope that clarifies the sidebar effect somewhat.

Thanks for the clarification and the reasons I couldn't see what was being referred to. Phew… thought the old brain cells were failing me again… ;)

- Patrick
======