PDA

View Full Version : Site throwing database errors?

MacInWin
05-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Anybody else seeing database errors? I've been getting them all day for random posts and threads. Here is what I'm seeing:
Database error
The Mac Forums database has encountered a problem.
Please try the following:
Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
Open the www.mac-forums.com home page, then try to open another page.
Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.mac-forums.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

lclev
05-01-2016, 10:24 PM
Yes, it has been going on for most of the day for me. Actually I just got on in the last ten minutes. I get what you posted and some other message that reflects server/database errors.

Lisa

pm-r
05-01-2016, 10:41 PM
Same here.

First time I've been able to connect and get anywhere since this am without getting the:
Database Error Database error
The Mac Forums database has encountered a problem.

6:30pm PDT here

chscag
05-01-2016, 10:49 PM
Looks like things have settled down now. The site has been down for most of the day due to a glitch which has caused data base errors to occur. Thanks for everyone's patience.

pm-r
05-01-2016, 11:01 PM
Looks like things have settled down now. The site has been down for most of the day due to a glitch which has caused data base errors to occur. Thanks for everyone's patience.

It seems like yet another software possible "update" install that seems quite common these days that was done without any prior testing. :Oops:

chscag
05-01-2016, 11:06 PM
We do not know what caused the glitch, so please let's not speculate that it was an update. For all we know, it could have been a rain soaked server under water in Houston..... ;)

Sawday
05-02-2016, 03:56 AM
Did no-one contact the email given in the error message. I did and got the immediate reply:
"We've had a ram failure on the database server running Mac-forums.com, hosting is currently working to get the hardware swapped!
Sorry for the inconvenience!"
So there your have it.

lclev
05-02-2016, 10:09 AM
Since Sunday is usually my busiest day of the week, I just noted the problem and figured it would get fixed. But, if that was the message I do wonder why there is only one server handling the database. No fallsafe rollover? Even I have two servers on my very small work network and when one had a ram failure the other picked up the load until I could get it repaired.

I just find that interesting.

Lisa

Mat Sumpter
05-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Hey Everyone,

We've been having some hardware trouble with the database server hosting Mac-Forums. A chassis swap was done last night but we are still seeing periodic table errors crop up. So I have just finished moving this site onto a new database server. The old server will be completely replaced and OS reloaded for later use.

Sorry all for the outages! Still monitoring the situation!

pm-r
05-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Did no-one contact the email given in the error message. I did and got the immediate reply:
"We've had a ram failure on the database server running Mac-forums.com, hosting is currently working to get the hardware swapped!
Sorry for the inconvenience!"
So there your have it.

I had a look at that email address when it showed yesterday but it didn't look legit so I tried sending a PM to Nick the administrator instead but I don't think it worked.

Neither did my attempt a short while ago to attempt to send this and all I got was this Oppps message…
Anyway, they seem to be on top of things and getting things working.

IWT
05-02-2016, 03:19 PM
I think it must be a nightmare dealing with a large site like ours. Apart from the day-to-day running, there's the denial-of-service attacks we've seen plus hardware & software problems.

A big thanks to our Administrators & Moderators and, of course, the Penton people upon whom we rely.

Just don't let it happen again LOL :):)

Ian

chscag
05-02-2016, 03:23 PM
Hey Everyone,

We've been having some hardware trouble with the database server hosting Mac-Forums. A chassis swap was done last night but we are still seeing periodic table errors crop up. So I have just finished moving this site onto a new database server. The old server will be completely replaced and OS reloaded for later use.

Sorry all for the outages! Still monitoring the situation!

Thanks Mat. I know it's been a long weekend. Appreciate your input. :)

pigoo3
05-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Big thanks here as well Mat!:)

- Nick