PDA

View Full Version : How do I install

Dooglla
04-14-2006, 12:13 AM
I want to install ClamXav...how do I get it loadedon my system? Remember this is my 2nd day with this machine.

BlindingLights
04-14-2006, 12:19 AM
Download the .dmg file from ClamXav's site. Double click the disk image, and when you see the file for the program, drag and drop it into your applications folder. Double click it in there or drag the file in the applications folder into your dock at the bottom and click that to run it.

Yeah, I know, it's a lot simpler than windows. Welcome to the wonderful world of OS X

geekboy2000
04-14-2006, 12:21 AM
I want to install ClamXav...how do I get it loadedon my system? Remember this is my 2nd day with this machine.

On my first day, I wanted to do exactly the same thing, but I held off, and by about day 5, I realized that based on what I read, my interpretation of what I read, and what seems to be the general consensus, any AV app for OS X is likely to cause you more grief than it's worth. Have a look around the groups/topics here for lots of discussion about the threat potential. On the other hand, if you do want to install it, this might help:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2005/08/19/clamav.html

Mark

BlindingLights
04-14-2006, 12:29 AM
You honestly don't need antivirus for macs... a total of three viruses have been scripted for Macs, and none of them work on OS X, as they were for previous Mac OSs. The only POSSIBLE threat is there is one small virus scripted for UNIX, and to get these you actually have to try to get them... it's SUPER tough to get a virus on macs. Don't get ClamXav, it'll slow down your computer unnecessarily. For more info, check out the antivirus thread in the "Switchover Hangout" thread.

Dooglla
04-14-2006, 01:05 AM
What if I have a PC on my network hooked to Dlink...am I still safe? My PC's have panda av on them.

zeta101
04-14-2006, 02:17 AM
A windows PC virus will not work on the mac, a virus needs to be written especially for the mac and as blindinglights said there aren't really any effective viruses out for OSX.

Some people say you should have anti virus on your mac if you are networked with windows PC, not to protect your mac, but to protect the pc. Since your PC has the panada av you don't need to bother.

Dooglla
04-14-2006, 02:22 AM
Thanks zeta101...appreciate the help.

to_tough_to_die
04-14-2006, 06:16 PM
HOLD UP! What is this?

You guys need to remember that there are Windows users in the world, out of common courtesy, I at least scan any e-mail attachments with Clam XAV. You don't have to scan your entire computer to use Clam, it only involves you choosing a folder.

claudius753
04-15-2006, 12:22 AM
Also, clamXAV won't slow down your system when your not running it. Just run it to scan any files you are planning to share with windows computers to help them be more secure. It's not like other AVs that run constantly in the background.

Dooglla
04-15-2006, 02:01 AM
Also, clamXAV won't slow down your system when your not running it. Just run it to scan any files you are planning to share with windows computers to help them be more secure. It's not like other AVs that run constantly in the background.

Thanks so much...appreciate that alot.

Dooglla
04-15-2006, 02:04 AM
HOLD UP! What is this?

You guys need to remember that there are Windows users in the world, out of common courtesy, I at least scan any e-mail attachments with Clam XAV. You don't have to scan your entire computer to use Clam, it only involves you choosing a folder.

Thanks...I am glad the world have people like you. Really appreciate this much. I can say that I have never touched a mac until now...and this is a new experience.

iWonder
04-15-2006, 02:28 AM
macs are completely easy.. if you have any questions... even if you think its dumb, no questions are dumb if you dont know.. just ask

Dooglla
04-15-2006, 03:41 AM
macs are completely easy.. if you have any questions... even if you think its dumb, no questions are dumb if you dont know.. just ask

Thanks

BlindingLights
04-15-2006, 01:02 PM

Yes, definately. That's what this section's for.

And BTW a Windows Virus won't work on a mac... Even if you get it onto your computer, It won't do ANYTHING (except at most take up a few MB of space on your HD) to your Mac. Because Windows uses .exe files and macs use .img files to install programs, it's like comparing an apple (no pun intended) and an orange. .exe and macs just don't mix, unless you're dual booting into windows.