Win XP 64 bit on 2012 Mac Pro. No Bootcamp. Can I get drivers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP i7 2.6 GHz 16GB Ram Catalina. iPad Air 2, iPhone 12
i have got hold of a win xp install disk and would like to install it on a separate internal HD on my 2012 Mac Pro without using Bootcamp. I think I can install the XP system but will i be able to find all the drivers anywhere without too much hassle? I know most right minded people would ask why the heck i would want to use XP but i found it in the past to be the best Microsoft OS and i still have some xp games i would like to use. (microsoft Flight Sim 10 X for one).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Why not just load up something like VirtualBox and load the copy of XP directly into there? I've done that with XP, 7, and Win 10.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would be one way. Just wondered if there was anything more direct.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why would you even want to run XP? Microsoft has long ago stopped security patches for it and no amount of AV software is going to overcome all the vulnerabilities that exist for it. At the very least, install Windows 7 SP-1 or later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As stated in the original post, OP has XP games he wants to still be able to play.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I read his original post.... Games or no games, XP is too dangerous to install.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the input folks. I had forgotten about the problems with activation codes and security issues, even though I was going to make sure I was disconnected from the net when I ran XP. Maybe I will have to invest in X-Plane instead as even if ms flight sim would run on win 7 I don't want to go down that route. I have win7 pro, win 8.1 and win 10 and don't really like any of them. Maybe that was the reason I went for Mac in the first place.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
X-Plane is a great flight simulator but if you already have MS Flight Simulator, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to run it in Windows 7. In my opinion of all the Windows versions in years past, Windows 7 stands out as one of the best. But if you don't like Windows 7, and you like flight simulators, then X-Plane is a good choice.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
X-Plane is a great flight simulator but if you already have MS Flight Simulator, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to run it in Windows 7. In my opinion of all the Windows versions in years past, Windows 7 stands out as one of the best. But if you don't like Windows 7, and you like flight simulators, then X-Plane is a good choice.

I'm ok with Win 7 but microsoft flight simulator only runs for a short while and then crashes. When i upgraded from vista to win 7 and discovered these crashes i found through a forum that there was a command file in win 7 that caused it but you could replace the offending file with one from vista in the win.old files. Unfortunately i have none of these files now. X-plane, here I come.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
LOL Cappie, you mean you downgraded to Vista which was and remains a great a success as Windows 2000.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't downgrade to vista, just nicked one of the system files and embedded it into win 7. Like most people back in the day I regretted upgrading from xp to vista the very day i did it. Nowadays i am a confirmed mac freak but no system is perfect. Mac OS X is great generally but i find iTunes and iPhoto to be the biggest pile of cr*p ever but overall mac puts microsoft to shame. I think i'd better quit while i'm ahead as i'm opening up a whole new can of worms here. :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 4,1, 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD startup, 1TB HDD alt startup, 6 & 4TB BU
I suggest you use a virtual machine platform such as Parallels within which you can run as many different OSs as you like. I have been running Win 7, 8, 8.1 and now have 10, all fine with OS X.

Cheers and good luck...OJ

Reaction score
Running Windows on your Mac

Why not just load up something like VirtualBox and load the copy of XP directly into there? I've done that with XP, 7, and Win 10.

I have been running MS XP in Virtual Box for several years, through each OS X version. The current release of OS X runs Virtual Box and XP much faster and without any issues. I run it in 'transparent' mode which lets me see through the XP window to the Mac desktop. I can switch back and forth between XP apps and the Mac at any time without closing anything. I can transfer files from one to the other and send email from the XP app via the mac mail app. The best of both worlds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 4,1, 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD startup, 1TB HDD alt startup, 6 & 4TB BU
I have been running MS XP in Virtual Box for several years, through each OS X version. The current release of OS X runs Virtual Box and XP much faster and without any issues. I run it in 'transparent' mode which lets me see through the XP window to the Mac desktop. I can switch back and forth between XP apps and the Mac at any time without closing anything. I can transfer files from one to the other and send email from the XP app via the mac mail app. The best of both worlds.

And the best part about that is that it's free.
;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

And the best part about that is that it's free.
;D

The one thing that seems to always creep up on me, though, is that VirtualBox is under constant development and there are frequent updates. I run my Windows instance so infrequently that I ALWAYS seem to get a notice to update VirtualBox when I launch the VM. Still, can't beat the price and it absolutely does what I need it to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.