Solution for lack of hotplug capability of tb in Windows on early 2013 macbook pro?

Reaction score
Hi there.

In 2013 I bought the best MBP retina I could find, along with a TB 27 display. I planned to use it with both Windows 7/8 and OSX, as we mainly use MS Office 2013 with OneDrive for Business (o365) at work, and all the rage was that MBP was the best Windows laptop around. I bought the TB 27 display because I wanted to use it as a port replicator. I soon discovered a huge drawback, though: The thunderbolt firmware and the windows bootcamp drivers are not able to use the hotplugging capabilities of TB. Since I don't like to quit everything I do and shutdown the computer every time I take it with me, this made my Windows partition useless for work (where I move around a bit to help users etc.).

Has anyone got a good workaround for this problem? I've considered maybe just ditching the TB27 and get a USB dock + HDMI, but would prefer fixing it without the hassle of selling the display etc. Would it work getting some kind of TB-HDMI adapter?

Or maybe there are software hacks that can solve my problem?

Thanks for any suggestions

Lars

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest looking at Parallels software which enables you to go from Windows to OS X and back without the need to reboot.

http://www.parallels.com/au/

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I actually used Parallells for a while, until I got fed up by having to buy a new version for every new major OS X update. I just didn't think it was worth it, and was hoping boot camp was sufficient, as I don't really need to have OSX (I just really like the mac hardware). I might have a look into Parallells again, though, since the lack of a fully functioning MS Office (some lacking OneNote functions and some OneDrive for Business problems) has made it very difficult and nonproductive to use OSX at work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.